1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Neoprene-Do you use it? Feet in or out?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by vwaggs, Mar 26, 2012.

1. vwaggs

vwaggs New Member

I used to keep my feet out of the bath but it was a pain so I bought the neoprene 5mm socks and it helps so much keeping my feet warm. However, I seem to be having more shivering and want to get out faster. I do have more detox symptoms now though too (4 weeks in) so that could also be part of it. I know this isn't a linear process but I thought the cold would be easier to take by now. I had ONE great bath that didn't make me shiver and my furnace kicked on right after and I was warm in no time. What happened?? It thought I was over the difficult part. I read Dr. K say on his blog to not use modern items (neoprene) to help cope. Use only what Mother Nature gave us. My feet hurt so bad in the cold though. Do I just leave them out of the water or tough it out? Seems like the cold would be harder to take with feet in. Who puts feet in? Arms? I guess I was under the impression to keep the extremeties out. What do you all do?

2. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

I'm not at the bath stage yet but I WILL be leaving my feet and hands OUT of the water. When my feet get chilled I cannot get warm. I say do what is comfortable for you at this point. If it's too much to keep your feet in the water, take 'em out.

3. Vicster

Vicster New Member

I use the neoprene booties, water past my breasts, hands out. I have bouts of easy days and hard days in the last month, sometimes I shiver other times not. Detox is a funny thing. Dr. K says that even he still shivers form time to time. Be sure to eat a high fat/protein meal prior to CT and drink a couple of big glasses of ice water.

4. FYI. Dr. Kruse's take on Neoprene booties:

Kami Says:

March 23rd, 2012 at 6:49 pm

HI Dr. K I have been doing the CT for 34 days on only missed 3 days. The first 3 weeks went well and I was wearing socks in the water. I was seeing improvements in mood and sleep. In the 4th week I added neoprene booties and now I am shivering in the water and not craving the water anymore. Could the booties have something to do with it?

Jack Says:

March 24th, 2012 at 8:43 am

@Kami……stop using modern things to offset the program…..use what mother nature gave you.

PS-I just keep my feet out for now because of Reyanuds. Sometimes my toes turn white EVEN outside the water.

5. vwaggs

vwaggs New Member

Patty Cakes that was the exact post I was referring to! My feet would get numb for hours even out of the tub with slipper socks on. The Neoprene helped this issue a lot.

Guess I will try putting in my feet tonight to see what happens. They hurt just thinking about it LOL! I wonder how many others put in their feet?? Did you do it right away or work up to it? Am I missing out by not putting in my feet or will I adapt just fine keeping them out?

6. agatha

agatha New Member

I use neoprene gloves in the bath - they really help. But I do cold water dunking of my hands at other times to help the adaptation. I will try without the gloves soon. I don't have socks but I take my feet out of the water after i first get in and then gradually lower them in towards the end of the time - by this time it feels quite pleasant to do this.

7. sk1nny_f4t

sk1nny_f4t New Member

My experience has been opposite of yours, I just dove right in, 3 soaks down wearing only a knit hat in a 50degree trash can filled with water and ice. I crouch so that the water is just below my chest and each of the times I have done 30 min soaks it takes at least an hour, if not more, for my feet to come back to normal. If you have ever been reading on the toilet for so long that your feet fall asleep, that's how mine feel so I am ordering a pair of the booties today.

8. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

HI Vwaggs, I forgot to reply back to you about the neoprene on the blog. I have used very light weight wool socks in the tub, but am considering not using anything based on what Dr. K said. My 06/03 ratio is good so I shouldn't have a problem with the water on my feet. I think it will help me adapt better if I dont' cover my feet.

9. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

I get in the tub then turn the cold water on and let it fill. Since I quite the neoprene, I don't shiver in the water like I was after I started the neoprene. I just thought it was a short cut and would work. No cold feet---how nice. It back fired.

10. ealachan

ealachan New Member

This is not particularly helpful to the point of the thread at all, I know, but I just have to say that the mental images I conjure up of y'all trying to keep hands and feet out of the bath while soaking amuse me to no end. I wish I was a better artist - this begs for cartooning...:)

11. Susan M.

Susan M. New Member

Is shivering while you are IN the water a sign of detoxing? I notice that only the parts of me that are in the water are shivering. My legs, while in the water, shiver to the point of almost being painful.

As for the feet, I used the neoprene booties at first to keep the spray from the faucet off of my feet while the tub was filling up. Now, I can submerge my feet with the booties on. I take them off after the first ten minutes or so, but I wind up putting them back on because they still feel better on in the water. I will be glad when I don't need them any more.

12. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I've been doing cold baths for 3 weeks now and up until a couple of days ago, was using neoprene booties. After reading that exchange on the blog, I switched to wool socks. My toes get quite cold and my feet feel "tingly" afterwards, but in an odd way, that tingly sensation feels good. I was afraid I'd get that awful pins & needles feeling you get when your feet are really cold, but not at all.

I haven't noticed a difference in how much I shiver while in the tub. It seems that if I put my upper arms in the water, I shiver off-and-on throughout, but if I keep them out, I don't shiver until the last few minutes. I'm working up to more arm immersion, but slowly. Much as I usually like to rush through things, I've decided on this one to listen to my body and go at a reasonable pace.

13. I put my feet in. The first week of baths it made my feet really ache. No problems with it now though. In fact, yesterday my husband and I spent almost an hour in our in-ground MICHIGAN pool. Pool thermometer said it was 56 degrees. The outside temp was 42 degrees. If any of the neighbors saw us, they probably think we've gone mad!

14. Vicster

Vicster New Member

I don't shiver while in the water. It takes about 4 minutes to fill the tub while I sit in it and that to me is the hardest part. After the tub is full I am comfortable. It's when I get out and towel off that I sometimes shiver, sometimes not. Since I am feeling comfortable in the water I will try it without the booties and see how my feet feel. Before I used them I could hardly walk after CT, but that's been a few weeks ago so it might be better now.

15. Ane

Ane New Member

Wow...I never thought about booties. I just get in and my feet go numb within a couple of minutes.

16. Evo Mama

Evo Mama New Member

I've been using wool socks. Works for me. No issues during or after the bath, so I'm gonna stick with this, until I build up the courage to go barefoot in the tub. For now, having compression shorts and top, with the socks and a hat help me psychologically, even though I know I don't *need* them. I'm going to work towards weaning myself of them and going nekkid.

17. differentstory

differentstory New Member

I had this problem too, Vicster. I found that the noise of the water pouring in and the cold water splashes aggrevated me. So now, instead, last night I filled the tub up and then got in when it was quiet. A MILLION TIMES BETTER! It was definitely hard to sit in the tub at first but I just sat down, counted to 43 seconds and I was fine. I will be doing that now on.

Also, I use the booties as well. Maybe one day I won't, but for now this is hard enough. I think we should take it slow and I personally think shivering and booties have nothing to do with each other. I have found that eating and shivering do though. If I haven't eaten as much I find my body seems to lack the energy to keep me warm and I start to shiver. Just my theory (and I have a lot of those! HA!).

My feet get so cold that I keep glancing at them thinking they must be blue. That was why I started the booties. And I remember thinking, "if my feet didn't hurt so damned much, this wouldn't even be hard!!" So that's why I got the booties.

18. youthfuliz

youthfuliz New Member

I've got neoprene booties after reading about them here. :) I use them in cold bath/shower and keep my feet in water. I take them off for the last 10 minutes though since by then I feel like I want my feet to be at the same temperature as the rest of my body. :) That's also why I tend to wash my hair and let cold water run down the back of my head toward the end of the cold shower.

19. JC2K

JC2K New Member

Personally, I'm planning on using the booties/gloves until I cold adapt more, then take them off. So it's a short term thing rather than a permanent thing.

20. youthfuliz

youthfuliz New Member

And for those of you who have cold feet for hours after the cold bath/shower, I found a way to fix it: use your feet for 10 minutes after the shower/bath, do a little running/walking/jumping/leg lifts with ankle weights, etc, get blood running in your legs/feet, they will become warm within minutes. :D It works for me!