1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Need to hack this ...

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by Destiny, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Destiny

Destiny New Member

What it exactly means when SHBG is high? Also % free testosterone that is high while the total and free is low?

Testosterone Total - March, 2013 - 10.00; April 2012 – 13.8 (2.9-40.8 ng/dL)
    Free Testosterone - March 2013 – 0.96; April 2012 - < 0.60 (<7.01 pg/mL)
    % Free Testosterone - March 2013 – 9.6 HIGH, April 2012 – can’t calculate (0.9-3.8 %)

SHBG - March 2013 – 174 HIGH; not done in April 2012 (18-144 nmol/L)

Progesterone - March 2013 - 0.21; April 2012 – 0.44 (0.10-0.80 ng/mL)

Estradiol - March 2013 – 5.09; April 2012 - 7.69 (<5.00-54.7 pg/ml)
    Estrone - March 2013 – 8.5 ; not done in April 2012 (3-32 pg/ml)
    Estriol unconjugated - March 2013 - <0.1 ; not done in April 2012 (<2.0 ng/ml)

Insulin, random – March 2013 – 2.4 LOW; not done in April 2012 (6.0-27.0 uIU/ml)

Thank you!

2. My SHBG was high when my Estrogen was high. Based on the above results the only homrone that is high is your F Test. Maybe that is why???

"High estrogen, and thyroxine cause it to increase." Have you checked your T4 or FT4 lately?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_hormone-binding_globulin

3. Destiny

Destiny New Member

It is not even free testosterone - that one is on the lowish side as well. What is high is the % Free Testosterone - not sure what that means.

My free T4 was at 1.1 - low just recently. So was free T3 at 2.2. Only TSH went up to 2.86 from 1.02.

I am supplementing with DIM and Chrysin, maybe that could have something to do with my high SHBG and that % testosterone thing ...................

4. Destiny

Destiny New Member

This is interesting .... http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Free_Testosterone_SHBG.aspx

It turns out that your levels of SHBG are actually very important, because, of course, SHBG is what binds to testosterone and can take it "out of commission." SHBG is controlled and produced in the liver primarily by androgens (and thyroxine). Normal aging, as many of us know all too painfully, leads to substantial drops in androgens such as testosterone and a corresponding rise in SHBG. Think how ugly this is: decreasing testosterone leads to increasing SHBG which leads to decreased free testosterone. No wonder some of you feel like crap!

Let me give you some of the most important ways to control SHBG and Free Testosterone:

1) Estrogen. You must keep your estrogen levels in check. Research shows that normal aging as well as an increase in adipose - that's a nice way of saying fat - tissue leads to ever increasing levels of estrogen. And here's the key: increasing estrogen leads to increasing SHBG. Please read the important link on How to Control Estrogen.

2) Testosterone. Low testosterone levels will tend to raise your SHBG as well. Yes, that's called a vicious circle. Read this link on How to Raise Testosterone Naturally if you have not already.
    Your doctor won't give you testosterone? Show him What Low T Does. Combine supplements for max erectile strength? Go with This Approach.

3) Medications and Alcohol. Many medications can effect SHBG. Remember that SHBG is made in the liver and most medications effect the liver. Common drugs that often raise SHBG are sedatives, antihypertensiaves, tranquilizers as well as your old friends beer and booze.

4) Stinging Nettle. Another way to lower SHBG is through an herb called Stinging Nettle. Stringing Nettle is widely prescribed in Europe for BPH ( Benign Prostate Hypertrophy). Several studies have documented Stinging Nettle's SHBG-lowering powers [2] and, so far, Stinging Nettle has an excellent safety profile. However, its side effect profile is worth mentioning: Stinging Nettle also blocks the action of the enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT. Some would argue that this is good since DHT is associated with things like hair loss and prostate problems. However, sometimes, in sensitive individuals, side effects include erectile dysfuntion and a decreased amount of semen. Plus, DHT is a critical androgen for males and very important to libido and so Stinging Nettle is questionable in my opinion because of it. I should point out that there are no studies, as far as I know, that actually show Stinging Nettle increasing free testosterone: more research needs to be done.

5) Insulin Resistance. Insulin resistance will lower your SHBG [1] and, therefore, in the short term probably raise free testosterone. So let's all get insulin resistant and live happily ever after, right? Wrong! Insulin resistance is a death warrant. (Read this link on Metabolic Syndrome for more details.)

6) Sugar and Corn Syrup. These bad boys can lower SHBG. Unfortunately, these can lead to insulin resistance, inflammation, advanced glycation end products and many other nasty things. How does it do all this? Researchers have discovered that sugar will also lower SHBG, because it increases fat synthesis in the liver, which in turn shuts off the gene involved in SHBG synthesis. Bottom line: stay away from sugar and corn syrup even though in the short term they may raise your free testosterone.

7) Green Tea. Green Tea does actually raise SHBG.

8) Vitamin D. Vitamin D was found in a 2009 study of about 2,300 adult males to lower SHBG and increase both free and total testosterone. [3]

9) Boron (Sodium Tetraborate or Borax). One study showed that boron can not only increase free testosterone but lower estradiol as well. See my link on Boron and Testosterone for more details.

10) Protein-to-Carbohydrate Ratio. The protein/carbohydrate ratio has an interesting effect on free testosterone and SHBG. Several studies have shown that increasing carbs versus protein boosts total testosterone. However, before you start pounding granola bars, one study found that increasing the protein/carb ratio not only increased total testosterone but also SHBG. [4] This means that free testosterone may not have been increased significantly because of SHBG's opposing effects. (Increasing the protein to carbohydrate ratio also increased cortisol, a fact I cover elsewhere on this site.)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  5. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Great find Destiny... I'm considering adding stinging nettle to my allergy arsenal....

6. Ooops I missed that! Good nuggets in that article. Thanks for posting. What are you going to do now?

7. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I am not sure. I'll keep searching and reading within my computer time limit :). I also think that I need to decrease my green tea intake, however, I don't believe that is just the tea.

8. I sucked down so much green tea last summer. Maybe a bit too much but I felt good. I don't know what I'm going to do this summer. I drink only RO water and have for two years so I think I am good there. Also only made the tea with RO as well. There is so much to go over and decide what will work. But testing before an after will be the key!

I also wonder about the Vit D. Mine wouldn't seem to go above 50 until a few months ago and now it's 72. That may have contributed to my high SHBG.

9. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I drank a lot of green tea since it is a cancer buster. I will slow down on that and drink more water like you. We are so same and different that it's not funny!

My vitamin D levels were always pretty good. My supplementation was quite effective. But I was surprised from the23andme results that the VDRBsm was my only strong defect - TT +/+. From what I understand, it plays a big role in vitamin D. So I think according to that, I should have a major problem with vit. D but I don't. Unless there is something else going on that the testing of vitamin D doesn't reveal.

10. That's great that you didn't have any other problematic SNPs. Did you do the detox profile on geneticgenie.org?

I'm trying to limit my computer time as well and am having trouble keeping up with everything I need to do electronically, like this forum, research within my job structure, email, etc. Haven't had much time to study the SNPs as much as I should. Aaargh!

We are similar in so many ways. However, I have a bunch of +/- SNPs on the Detox and Meth Profiles, yet only a handful of +/+. It's a lot to figure out each item individually but then add them all together to understand the synergistic affect. Oh my sometimes, OK most days, it's too much for me to understand!

11. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I did the detox profile on geneticgenie. I was not able to figure it out yet. I got a bunch of +/- as well but I also read that everybody got some. I need to find more about the one I have with +/+.

12. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Patty already mentioned the effect of thyroxine so I won't repeat that.

I found more info on what can increase SHBG:

Any therapy that either increases SHBG levels (eg, estrogens or weight loss), reduces bioactivity of androgens (eg, androgen receptor antagonists, alpha-reductase inhibitors), or reduces insulin resistance (eg, weight loss, metformin, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor [PPAR] gamma agonists), can be effective. Improvement is usually associated with a rise in SHBG levels, but bioavailable or free testosterone levels should also be monitored.

Patients with anorexia nervosa have high SHBG levels. With successful treatment, levels start to fall as nutritional status improves. Normalization of SHBG precedes, and may be predictive of, future normalization of reproductive function.

SHBG also has profound effects on the balance between bioavailable androgens and estrogens. Increased SHBG levels may be associated with symptoms and signs of hypogonadism in men, while decreased levels can result in androgenization in women.

Insulin resistance, even without obesity, results in lower SHBG levels. This is associated with increased intra-abdominal fat deposition and an unfavorable cardiovascular risk profile. In postmenopausal women, it may also predict the future development of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Androgens and norethisterone-related synthetic progesterones also decrease SHBG in women. In patients with known insulin resistance, "metabolic syndrome," or high risk of type 2 diabetes (eg, women with a history of gestational diabetes), low SHBG levels may predict progressive insulin resistance, cardiovascular complications, and progression to type 2 diabetes. An increase in SHBG levels may indicate successful therapeutic intervention.