1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Need blue blocking glasses for work? Help!

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by John Smith, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Toby King

Toby King Gold

Hey!

Yep the BPI 550 tint will block more than 99% of light up to 550nm which means it blocks all of blue and most of green too (green can also have an effect on melatonin).

Try on frames at the optometrist and look for a pair that is as wraparound as you can wear without looking too odd.

I have seen a few glasses like those, but not those specific brands before. I am going to contact the company to see how much of the spectrum of blue light it blocks, because just because it says 99% that can mean only blocking of 'high intensity blue light' or 'high frequency blue light' and not cut out the whole spectrum.

Will post their replies.

:)

2. Toby King

Toby King Gold

Hey Pbom

I got that from Tom Douds post on the Quantum Health facebook group

Cheers, Toby

3. DLO

DLO StarFish

When I asked for 550 BPI with 40 light tranmission the color was a "mauve". Any idea what tint to get closer to jack's purple tint?

4. djd5

djd5 New Member

Hi Toby im getting a custom pair from Tom Doud.

Im using them to dj in a nightclub, with all the lights fromt the equipment etc.

any other advice before I ask them to make it?

should i do visible spectrum needs to be between 39 and 45Tv/visible total transmission?

Thank you

5. DLO

DLO StarFish

This is the quote that makes me worry since mauve is kinda pink....

With keen observations, I found it is far more noticeable in people who wear glasses. I happen to and I monitored this in myself too. I always asked people when they got glasses and found that very often disease got diagnosed soon thereafter. Alterations in the pupillary reflex are also quite noticeable in those who frequently wear sunglasses, or pink, blue, brown, and/or green lenses, and it is universal in those who have had cataract surgery who have lenses implanted with artificial ones to replace theirs. Most people with artificial lenses or who have had lassie surgery will tell you bright light, especially at night bother them and gives them haloing and headaches. Why might this the case?

6. enyaw

enyaw Gold

Is BPI 550 recommended for day time in an office environment? I currently use Blutech lenses. They block far less than my sexier UVEX glasses that I use at night.

7. Charyam

Charyam New Member

I'm in the UK and have finally managed to get my prescription glasses tinted with the BPI Diamond Dye BPI#37604. Lenses need to be uncoated .
    (no antiscratch and no UV protection) .
    ASDA (part of Walmart) did this for me, they used a company called TANT
    (you'll have to tell ASDA this).
    To do the tint I used SPECTRUM in Manchester 0161 203 9000, info@sdlenses.co.uk, ask for Billy. They were great, really helpful.
    It'll cost about £7.50 recorded delivery to send a pair.
    They'll tint and return them for £30.00.
    You can send an old pair with your lens prescription and they will supply the lens as well (this will cost extra)
    You can do the same with PLAIN non prescription (plano lens) or visit them as they do sell frames as well. I think their price to supply frame and plain tinted glass is about £50.
    All in all a reasonable fix, I got fed up with the overglasses and decided to bite the bullet.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Nigel Clack likes this.
  8. Skylife

Skylife New Member

I know this is old thread but i ve been in search of real legit blue blockers as all i have had so far are Swannies (got them several years ago when everyone i knew from biohacking world and beyond was wearing them and i was pretty naive as to what frequencies need to be blocked). now i find out that they are not blocking all the blue light and none of the green light either. I also have Truedark red Asprey glasses (blocking all blue and most green) which i always trusted as they really put you to sleep and they passed all the visual color tests online that i ve tried. Now read that Jack said they tested them too and they are not what they claim to be? its very frustrating because i have been wearing blue blockers religiously and now i see they are all sort of useless? i have just got Ra optics sleep adult frame but the frame is so small like for a kid and lots of light seeps in from the sides. When i look at green lights (say on electronics), there is no change in the color at all. I think if they are blocking most of green, the green lights should change color? Truedark on the other hand block green from what i can perceive - the source of say green light dot on electronics is not even visible to the eye. I need to exchange mine and get a larger frame.
    Toby King suggested using your favorite frame and getting Alex Fergus cheap glasses and popping out the yellow lens and cutting it to the size of your frame and fitting them in. How would l cut the precise shape of the plastic yellow lens to fit my frame? the lens is pretty thick and without special equipment and precision i just don't know how that would be possible? Can you elaborate what tools you used? or maybe any glasses shop could do that?
    I would love to use a frame i have and the only option here (short of tinting your own ) is to send it to australia to blueblox (as ra optics doesn't do custom frames any more), waiting a long time as i am in CA and paying quite a bit for just new red lens to be put in. Maybe the custom bpi 550 tinting can be done here in USA at any optometrist? Does anyone know?

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    mrc, Alex97232 and Dana Lamm like this.
  9. Charyam

Charyam New Member

Persevere, there will be a company somewhere that will tint using BPI tints somewhere within reach of you.
    There's a good chance they will have a lens supplier that will supply to your prescription AND with no coatings at all.
    Lenses to be tinted must have no ANTISCRATCH or UV coatings.
    The BPI tint is NOT a coating, it's absorbed into the lens.
    Get in touch with BPI to find people local to you that use their products? Press them a bit and they might recommend rather than give suppliers. If you don't need a prescription lens then the world is your oyster. You'll be able to select any 'chick magnet' frames and get them to put a plano tinted lens in :)
    https://www.callbpi.com/golf/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=4

10. Skylife

Skylife New Member

Charyam, good idea re calling BPI. I don't need prescription, and have awesome Westward Leaning handmade frames to reuse. Now i just need to find the perfect tinted computer and nighttime lens to put in that really block all the right spectrum. I actually just found a video on how to grind a lens with sand paper and fit it into your old frames. May try Uvex lenses for an experiment.

11. Skylife

Skylife New Member

Charyam or Toby King - So i am going the optometrist route for a non prescription lens to fit into my awesome frames to make my custom night blue blockers up to 550nm. I talked to BPI and they found a lab they supply their tints to that will do BPI 550 tinting near LA and fit the CR39 plain lens into my frames in 4 days. One thing i am not sure about is the darkness of the tint - they only have levels 1,2,3 with 3 being the darkest. Can anyone help re what darkness the night blue blockers need to be to fully block until 550nm? on bpi website for 550 tint it says BPI Dual Computer Cal VIS Reading 58% and Luminous Transmittance, Tv - 30%. when i said that to the lab person she had no clue of what that is and needs to call BPI to find out. that kind of makes me skeptical if they know what they are doing exactly. Thoughts?

12. Corey Nelson

Corey Nelson CoreyNelson.io

DIY using this article. It's really easy and you can do a lot of pairs for the cost of materials, and only need to repurchase dye if you do a ton of lenses. I don't know about level 1, level 2, and level 3, but I am pretty sure the BPI 550 dye will only block to 550nm (as you say you need) if you do it for 1.25-1.5 hours on about 205 fahrenheit. Otherwise it blocks to around 500nm.

13. Skylife

Skylife New Member

Thank you Corey. I saw that article before when researching which glasses i really need to get and thought about going this route. The thing is that i need to get CR39 plain lenses fit for both of my old frames that i love. Don't know if any optician can do it yet. So i will look into an optician being able to do that at the same time they tint those lenses. i got a quote of $50-60 per pair of lens tinted. I honestly just need 2 pairs - one daytime maybe BPI 500 for computers and junk light situations and one nighttime BPI550. Nobody else i know is really that interested in wearing blue blockers for now, they may in the future. i do like several from Blueblox so i might decide to get a pair there and get the other tinted. I just want them to be legit blocking the right frequencies as i ve been wearing Swannies not knowing how lousy they are screwing up my sleep.

mrc likes this.
  14. Corey Nelson

Corey Nelson CoreyNelson.io

Oh okay, the retailer you mentioned does CR39 custom fits actually.

15. Skylife

Skylife New Member

Oh nice, thank you for letting me know. I also found readingglassesetc does bpi 500 and 550 and can get some pairs for only $30 and to add
    that tint to a pair you buy there is only $10! i guess an option for budget blockers that i ll keep in mind for anyone interested to try them on the cheap.

mrc and Corey Nelson like this.