1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Need blue blocking glasses for work? Help!

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by John Smith, Jun 11, 2016.

1. John Smith

John Smith New Member

Are there any blue tech lenses or glasses that I can wear at work during the day that block 100% blue light. I work in retail at the moment so I cannot wear freakish orange glasses. A slight orange tint may be okay but nothing dark orange. I have been wearing Gunnar's for a couple of months but they do not block out all blue light and I still find the room bright anyway. Currently I do not work after sunset, but in the future I may need to protect my eyes if I have to work at night.

I live in Sydney and I am ready to spend few hundred dollars if that is what it takes (get them custom made). I do not have any eyesight problem. My day job puts me at huge risks like Jack. I need to own this.

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Tom Doud connect with him and get glasses to help you.

3. John Smith

John Smith New Member

Does anyone know what is Tom doud's profile name.

What have you other guys done to hack what I am doing?

4. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

No idea. Anyone? I need to replace my yellow "computer glasses" with something better.

5. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

http://hartlandeyecare.com/

"Dr. Thomas R. Doud and our staff are committed to excellence and serving your complete eye care needs."

mrc likes this.
  6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Google box really works you know.

7. Toby King

Toby King Gold

John Smith (not sure about that name ;) )

OPTION 1:

If you need good quality blueblockers go to an optometrist, say that you want a pair tinted with BPI 550 tinting, and that the visible spectrum needs to be between 39 and 45Tv/visible total transmission.

-
    -
    -
    -

OPTION 2:

If time is an issue and you are a bit handy buy some of the wraparound blue blockers from my friend Alex Fergus: https://blueblockers.com.au/products/blueblockers-glasses

Buy a couple of pairs of cheap frames: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/222114925935?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Pop out the lenses in the cheap frames, match them up to the blueblockers and cut out with some heavy duty scissors lenses that are the same dimensions.

Then put the cut-out plastic lenses of the blueblockers into the cheap frames and BOOM, nice looking blueblockers that block >99.5% of the blue (and green) light up to 525nm.

I only just realised I could do this a couple of days ago, and tried it out. Works great.

Let me know how you go

8. John Smith

John Smith New Member

Would all optometrists in Sydney do this?

I work in retail so it cannot be dark orange like the UVEX blockers. I would rather find something that I can wear long term.

9. Toby King

Toby King Gold

I believe most should, Im sure there are plenty there.

If you want it to block all blue light it will be orange... If you want a lighter colour then it will not have the same effect...

You have to choose.

mrc likes this.
  10. John Smith

John Smith New Member

If I was to do it at the optometrist, hoe much blue light would it block?

How much blue light does Ruben or Jack's glasses block?

11. Toby King

Toby King Gold

Ruben and Jack use BPI 550 blue blocking tints, the same as what you want to ask for.

This graph displays the % of light blocked:
    driver-fatigue-and-eye-strain_lens-tint-spectrogram-orange.jpg

That means near 100% of light blocked up to 550nm.

12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Any problem can be solved using the materials in your mind.........they key is begin to think about your problems to solve them yourself.

13. John Smith

John Smith New Member

Sorry, but I am still confused.

What you are saying is that if I am working shifts at night I am screwed. There is no way I can wear orange. The glasses tint colour can only be like the Gunnar's. So I will only be blocking 50% blue light at night.

14. Toby King

Toby King Gold

15. John Smith

John Smith New Member

What would you do in my situation? What would you wear?

16. Toby King

Toby King Gold

I would get a different job, move, or change shift times... I am a filmmaker and used to spend hours at night editing blue lit screens. I moved my editing to strictly daytime and only take off the blueblockers when colour correcting.

Find a job that allows you to be healthy

My two cents

17. John Smith

John Smith New Member

I do not usually work at night but I have a couple of shifts at night every now and then. I won't be able to change jobs anytime soon. You see I work in a pharmacy.

Then what does Jack do to mitigate his risks when working at night?

18. John Smith

John Smith New Member

i have to wear my Gunnar's in the pharmacy. Can you image me wearing blue blockers in a pharmacy? I have tried my best to say that I can only work during the day but sometimes my boss has to find an available shift and working to 9 pm is the only option. By the way I work at a big retail pharmacy known well in Australia. I cannot disclose the name on the site but I am sure you are very well familiar of this pharmacy.

19. Toby King

Toby King Gold

Jack doesnt work at night. As far as I know....

20. John Smith

John Smith New Member

Okay, enough of me being dejected about this. It is going to be hard to change jobs overnight so for the time being I will have to get them from the optometrist. I may have to talk to my boss and say how these glasses are good for reducing eye strain, they arenew in the market and will become trendy in the future. Anyway even if I worked only during the day I would still get a high dose of blue light.

Do the glasses made by the optometrist like jack's block 100%? Sorry I did not understand the graph. Should I ask for big frames to avoid gaps?

Also what do you think of these glasses? I did not see anyone talk about these.

http://www.spektrumglasses.com/products/spektrum-elite-anti-blue-light-glasses

http://www.taimeopt.com/store/