1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Nearly stabbed myself with an oyster knife ...

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by Gagnrad, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

They had half-a-dozen oysters when I was shopping last night, so I bought the lot, thinking they'd be good with breakfast.

Opening time arrives ...

Now I thought after a night in the fridge, they'd be fairly inactive and I could take 'em by surprise. (I dunno. It's probably irrelevant.)

Two did give me problems, though. If you can only get the knife in just a little way, then twisting it works. Sometimes it's getting it in that's the problem. On some of these there's almost no opening at the hinge end. You push, and it seems to have gone in a little and you try twisting the knife and wriggling it, and all that happens is that bits of shell ping off. Eventually, the knife slipped, but fortunately I missed myself.

I settled the b*stards, though. When it gets to this stage I put them on an old chopping board (one of those polythene ones works better than real wood) and whack the butt of the knife with a rolling pin. That settles their hash.

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

how were they? I got back to oysters a couple of weeks ago and loved them - I bought some today and it is a tough slog getting them down......
    I think I would love Jack's recipe .... cheese makes everything taste good .....:D

3. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

I really dislike fighting with them! That's why we go to a local Mexican seafood restaurant...they do all the work and I get to enjoy the oysters. We usually sit at the bar and people watch. That is where they shuck them. Amazing how many they go through in an hour and how fast those shells are opened.

4. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

yum oysters... going to have to hit up the mercado - 5 oysters for $2.oo. Gonna need to get some of those... I think I'll have oysters for lunch too...

5. nicld

nicld Gold

We can't get fresh oysters here so it it is canned for me. Will be putting some in seafood bisque soup tomorrow. I am sure fresh would taste better then canned.

6. Tanya

Tanya Gold

I tried oysters for the first time yesterday. Thought I was all prepared for them: Cut-proof gloves, oyster knife. They were big and hard. Could not open a single one, no opening whatsoever. Ended up steaming them, and they all opened up. They tasted good though.

7. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Ooh, I like your percussive technique!

8. sooperb

sooperb New Member

You mean you didn't stab yourself? OH nearly ended up in Casualty trying to open oysters. We bought a set that includes an oyster holder, he managed quite well the last time. I think it's a knack, like opening jars and Italian wine corks lol.

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I have been in New Orleans for 5 days now.......oysters every single day. In fact it is Fat Tuesday now........and I had a dozen for breakfast on Bourbon St.

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Mardi Gras is a ritual that shows us the fine line in life between Fat Tuesday and lent. This is the lesson about the Ying and Yang of life. A good time occurs precisely when we lose track of what time it is. A ritual becomes the 'lit match' that illuminates the kindred celebration candle of sacred moments past tantalizing entombed spirits in you to surface again. Celebration is an act of impressing "the sadistic someone" residing in you one day so that your creative being will have the balance it needs for mastering life's successes when the celebration ends. Right now I am feeding my sadistic being well! Happy Mardi Gras!

11. RobH

RobH Gold

I grew up inland. Never thought I would eat an oyster in my life (disgusting little things...).

However, now that I know better, I do better. (hmmmm....)

I've been cooking / bbq'ing / steaming oysters for a while since JK started espousing their benefits, although enjoyed raw ones at restaurants.

Finally figured out how to shuck raw ones and eat them.

I find that i like them -- maybe just because I know how good for me they are. Not necessarily loving the taste yet but... definitely getting there.

A few weeks ago my 10 yo son brought home a box of donuts from school that he had taken in for his birthday party. Despite preaching the evils of donuts to my kids they still don't quite totally buy in... He was so happy with the donuts in the box (3 of them) and very protective -- was saving them for his 2 brothers and himself for dessert.

They went off to hockey.... anticipating their donuts upon return home.

Imagine his shock and surprise when I replaced all the donuts with a dozen oysters when he was out at hockey! The look on his face was priceless! Wish I'd taken video.

RobH

Yes, I am ashamed to admit that my kids still eat the occasional donut. Not by my hand though. Ever again.

12. RobH

RobH Gold

13. caroline

caroline Moderator

I am going to mardi gras next year ..... anyone care to join me???

I hate it when Jack has all the fun! and all the oysters......

14. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Jack, it's called The Big Easy, not The Big EZ...

Gracelind likes this.
  15. caroline

caroline Moderator

Rob .... How much progress are you making with your boys? If they are active in sports do they not want to perform better??

16. RobH

RobH Gold

I think the changes we have made in the last couple years have had a significant impact on them. The 2 older ones (10 and 12) are the fastest runners in their grades (for Cross Country Running) and both stars on their (roller) hockey teams. The youngest (8) who started way behind is getting a lot better quite quickly. The same is basically true for academics.

Amongst their peers they are in great shape, and not seeing the plethora of disease and disability that I do (and getting restless at me telling them about it) they don't see the need to be clean just yet. They're still kids and have nearly unlimited stem cell recruitment potential!

My oldest is getting into that teenager mentality of where peer group pressure / conformance means way too much. He routinely complains that his friends at school get much better things in for lunch than what we pack him. (Oreos, chips, candy, soda, etc.) I can draw pretty strict lines at home but only hope to teach them what do right when not here.

RobH

17. caroline

caroline Moderator

Rob - is your wife on board with all of this?
    I suppose the boys will finally get it .....hopefully sooner rather than later!

Rob - have you seen the recipe for paleo banana bread here? Could the boys be fooled into thinking it is a wonderful treat? Do you follow nom nom paleo? She has two little boys...and great recipes.

The boy's friends ..... what kind of shape are the parents in?

You know so much more because of what you see on a daily basis.....

maybe a movnat family adventure???

My grandsons are excellent swimmers and compete .... they are given brownies before a race! I was horrified and said that shouldn't be happening .... so I am the stupid one! My daughter said their coach is a competive swimmer and she, of course, knows what is best for them .... sigh

Have you seen the stuff about Jeremy? the rock climber......

18. RobH

RobH Gold

She is mostly (about 85% on board in words, maybe 70% in actions)

She has always been fit, athletic, beautiful, and never had any medical issues (why she married me I still don't know....) She grew up being rushed around from place to place in a hyper competitive world and went to high end schools and knew lots of high achievement type people. She believes that is what is necessary for our kids also and wants the "best" for them. Best is just a perception and everybody's is different though.

In the last few years she's started to have all sort of minor issues that she just can't quite shake and just attributes to age (e.g. plantar fasciitis). Her mom is 71 and in amazing shape, and her favorite hobby is sitting on the ground pulling weeds... I point out that if things keep going this way she won't be anything like her mom when 70. I am learning better in my quest to fix myself and she generally agrees with that although thinks I'm a little off the wall at times. She has been remarkably tolerant about me changing all the lightbulbs in the house, turning as many lights off after dark as I can, etc.

She is a typical super busy over achieving mother. She works. She doesn't take or feel like she has the time to read long blog posts. She runs the kids around after school to hockey, cross country, track, and piano (yes I help when I an not working). Her job keeps her very busy and she doesn't take the time to take good care of herself, hydrate, etc. She worries about the kids being happy, well-adjusted, fit and competitive and like many mothers prioritizes them way ahead of herself.

She has left most of the cooking and some of the shopping to me because I'm willing and committed, but I travel and work a lot also. When I am not around it is easy and convenient for her to turn back to packaged foods, etc, and she has never enjoyed cooking (I do) So she tries to be on board but is sometimes just a little too overwhelmed with everything else to take the necessary time. And of course the kids are always pushing to eat the stuff they grew up eating until I started down this pathway, and their is considerably peer pressure to do so.

We're always making progress. It just depends on me paying attention, moving the needle, and sort of dragging the rest of the family along.

I'm the most messed up one in the family thus I have to try the hardest and the others don't quite see the need like I do. But I see the altered field they are growing up in and know things that many people don't -- we all have to try harder and that just slows down the progression.

RobH

Jude and NeilBB like this.
  19. caroline

caroline Moderator

I just find all this so hard to understand. We, here, all say that we need to be the change we want to see in others - but it seems that doesn't quite cut it either.

Dr. K always says that the only one we can help is ourself .... it is so hard to try to drag our family members along - it must be exhausting for you ...you are one busy guy!

Your DW is a Doc too? isn't there an app - or whatever you call it - to turn the written word [a blog] into audio and she could listen when she takes the boys to practise etc.

We all think we are bulletproof - extraordinary....... especially you guys - you see us at our worst and beyond - so you really do know better.

20. Steph Corby

Steph Corby New Member

Oysters at Christmas was a tradition at my grandmas house in West Va. I have no clue why, but everyone in town fries oysters for christmas. I have always loved fried oysters, but now I just fry them up in a little bacon grease or GFbutter. just as tasty without the breading (Grandma never used much breading anyway, just a dusting, and ususally fried everything in bacon grease)

Ive tried them with coconut flour and egg, but honestly they are better (to me anyway) just cooked in grease with nothing else.

Theka and Tanya like this.