1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Natto and some other PQQ rich foods

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Albert83BCN, May 19, 2013.

1. Albert83BCN

Albert83BCN New Member

Sorry if it has been discussed before (new to the forums!)... I've just found this study on the richest dietary sources of PQQ.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1136652/pdf/biochemj00065-0028.pdf

The thing is that Natto seems to be a huge source, but its soy in the end, which is pretty condemned in the paleosphere. I was wondering what your thoughts were on this, would be Natto really that bad? May the high PQQ content and fermentation process overcome the downside of its possible phytates, goitrogens and phytoestogens?

I know Jack is pretty sold on to the PQQ stuff and I myself as an endurance runner I'm very interested in trying to protect my mitochondria from the possible damage I may be putting them on...

Thoughts?

Scompy likes this.
  2. GlenPDQ

GlenPDQ New Member

There are plenty of other legumes besides soy and Bacillus subtilis bacteria would munch on them happily. Natto can be also be made using lentils, beans, and peas. It is possible to buy a small bottle of the bacterial innoculant from Gem Cultures, put a tiny squirt in a cup of water and drink it while eating a high protein meal which I have done. That tiny bottle can innoculate over 80 pounds of beans. The question for me is whether ingesting the innoculant will produce any PQQ.

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

4. Albert83BCN

Albert83BCN New Member

Thanks PMGlenPDQ for the input, I wasn't aware that it can be made with other legumes, BTW on food stores I haven't seen it and even if I had it's still legumes in the end... for now I may try to improve a little bit my diet scheme by adding some more parsley and celery as a spices for my plates and use some kiwis from time to time where I'd use oranges, but It's a pity that I suspect that the benefit will be pretty poor compared to supplemental form.

Thanks Jack for the link although all these foods where listed on the other study as well! hehe

5. JohnGalt

JohnGalt New Member

Albert, Yes, Natto is a soy product BUT it is a FERMENTED soy product. And this makes a difference. The process of bacterial fermentation breaks down and destroys many of the phytates, goitrogens and phytoestrogens that make UNfermented soy such a problem. Generally speaking, FERMENTED soy products are MUCH safer to consume. I hope this helps.

6. Scompy

Scompy Gold

2 huge connections just made:

PQQ: The Greek stories around celery make so much sense! Incredible!

UVing Water: This got me thinking about various juicing in time's past.... lemonaid stands make so much sense or drinking your water outside in sunlight.

!Mind blown!

7. Penny

Penny New Member

Maybe it's the potassium in the greens... BTW, when calcium effluxes, it is replaced by the single bond of potassium (calcium has a double bond) - but as far as natto goes, just do what the japanese do: buy a small package of slimy natto in an asian store ($1.79). Get a package of soy beans from Trader Joes ($2.00) or at said asian story. Boil the soy beans/lentils/peas. Cool. Run some boiled water over the shallow pyrex dish to sterilize it. Put the cooled beans in the bowl, mix in the natto and stick it in your oven with the light bulb on for 1-2 days - trust me, slime will form... :) To get it down, use scallions and coconut aminos...

8. Penny

Penny New Member

Maybe it's the potassium in the greens... BTW, when calcium effluxes, it is replaced by the single bond of potassium (calcium has a double bond) - but as far as natto goes, just do what the japanese do: buy a small package of slimy natto in an asian store ($1.79). Get a package of soy beans from Trader Joes ($2.00) or at said asian story. Boil the soy beans/lentils/peas. Cool. Run some boiled water over the shallow pyrex dish to sterilize it. Put the cooled beans in the bowl, mix in the natto and stick it in your oven with the light bulb on for 1-2 days - trust me, slime will form... :) To get it down, use scallions and coconut aminos...

Queen of Elves likes this.
  9. Danny

Danny New Member

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/vitamin-k-and-natto-what-s-the-connection/ Natto is an excellent source of K2