1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Nathan's Journey to Optimal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Nathan, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Good to know...will make it down that way at some point. Until then will keep eating seafood and drinking lots of water :)

2. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Glad to hear that Caroline! Thanks so much! :)

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

Nathan - you look/sound like a happy camper these days ....so different from your original pic! lovely!

You were in so much distress when you first came here.....now look at all the progress you have made and that great big grin says volumes :D

4. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Thank you Caroline. That is a great reminder. I sometimes forget where I came from and lose patience. You always keep me honest! :)

caroline likes this.
  5. Nathan

Nathan New Member

I'm way overdue for an update. Just joined Gold Club and was listening to a Q&A and am taking Jack's advice on keeping my journal up to date. My health has been pretty good overall or so I thought. I have been feeling good, at least relative to how I had felt in the past. I am sleeping better and have more energy. I recently found a functional medicine doc in my area and she ran some labs and they tell another story. My vitamin D, DHEA, Testosterone, and free Testosterone are all very low. This doesn't make sense to me because I have very good muscle tone. I also ran some labs on myself a few months before then and my Hemoglobin A1C was 5.8 and I've been low carb for close to 2 years now. I test my fasting blood glucose and it's consistently around 80-85 so not sure what's going on there.

My HS-CRP was high in my recent labs from 3-4 weeks ago but I had food poisoning the night before so I think that's a false reading. I'm not sure how much it would throw off the my other labs but I wouldn't think by much. My HS-CRP was .3 the time before so I think my inflammation is in check for the most part.

I just had a new ASI run and I have stage 2 AF. I did have stage 3 so this is an improvement. I think I was normal for a while but I think I got sloppy with fake light. I do have a positive slope so that's good but my cortisol is below the optimal reference range at all 4 points. My DHEA is within range but not top 25%.

Anyway, I've made some changes. I started doing CT again. It has been a few years and when I finally did it I thought to myself, what have you been waiting for. Even now I always make it out to be so much harder in my head but then I do it and I enjoy it. I was doing it 3 days a week in 50F for 35-40 minutes. It's been a week and I'm overdue...just had a lot going on and I shiver for 45-60 minutes after so it can be a big time commitment. I've been spending more time outdoors. First thing in the morning I go outside, ground, stare at the sun and do Wim Hof style breathing. I also focus on positive emotions like being confident and this really helps me start my day off well.

I recently got a pair of blue blocker prescription lenses (Costco sells them now and they are very reasonable) and wear those anytime I'm around fake like. I'm on the computer a lot and I have flux on all the time and have some blue blocking screens so I should be pretty well protected there. I also got a laptop so I can do work outside when it's nice. It's raining now so I'm on my desktop.

I finally admitted to myself that I had a serious addiction to Netflix. I originally signed up for Netflix because I love movies. Somewhere along the way I started watching series. And I have not stopped since. I would usually watch 1-2 shows a night but I realized that every time I would finish a series I would have to find a new one. I quit cold turkey on Season 2, Ep. 8 of Dare Devil. It wasn't that great of a show anyway. It's been 5-6 days with no TV and I am starting to think better. These shows have a way of getting in your head. At night instead of tv I'm reading more and listening to positive things like Jack's webinars and self improvement people like Brendon Burchard and Michael Bernoff.

I have had some emotional drama in my life and I'm trying to manage it as best I can. In addition to the fake light I think that's why my ASI was starting to tank again.

Overall my health is much better than it was a year ago and way better than 2 years ago. I feel the best I have in as long as I can remember and I also know I'm not even close to my potential. Especially after seeing my labs. It's funny how us humans can so easily adapt to our new normal. This stuff works. I am very excited to be getting more UV now that's it's getting warmer out.

caroline likes this.
  6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

keep moving toward the light on the ground.

Nathan likes this.
  7. Nathan

Nathan New Member

One thing to note. I've been grounding/sun gazing in the morning for about 3 weeks now and my cravings have completely disappeared. I didn't really have cravings that much for a while but then about 2-3 months ago they started. My weakness is ice cream and I was having some on most nights along with a sliced apple or some nuts. My cravings are gone and I have a pint of unopened ice cream in the freezer that I have zero desire for.

My sleep has taken a nose dive lately. Funny that I cut out evening tv and my sleep gets worse. I think it may be from my deep breathing releasing toxins in my body. I started the Wim Hof method a week ago so that may have something to do with it. Last night was really bad and it felt like I had an adrenaline surge. I could feel my heart beating faster. I'm increasing my water consumption to flush everything out and hopefully my sleep gets back to normal soon.

I've been doing 30-40 minute walks in the early evening on most days too and that has been a great stress relief.

8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Don't survive, thrive. Do life soaring. If it reduces the quantum yield in your food, you better believe it reduces the quantum yield in your environment. The net effect, in plain English: if you are living in a low quantum yield environment, you have to work harder/do more to be healthy. Our cells, specifically mitochondria, read and react to our environmental choice we ALLOW; this includes those forced upon you by others. It shapes us and we are shaped by it. The six best healers in the world that I know: 1. Sunlight 2. Un-fluoridated water 3. magnetism/grounding to Earth 4. seafood 5. Self Confidence 6. Friends/supportive spouse That is all...........Carry On. http://www.nature.com/articles/srep12029 Here is the key that most of the critics miss..........the order of the recipe is critical to the success. Your perception will be thrown off if you do it other ways. I can think of 3 recent members who went of the rails this way. The last 4 series pointed this point this out but few understand the implications. Neil Billeaud and I have been offline talking about it. Your BUN/creat ratio and ketosis must be started before DHA loading. The blogs have been clear that the exclusion zone inside of cells manifests due to proteins within becoming hydrophilic first. People understanding of the recipe construction have not been correct. How do you do you make things hydrophilic? You slowly add in electrons. The way to add them is step 4 above. The closer you are to the equator means you have more push from your current (DC) and then you may not need as much........unless there is something peculiar about your environment, job, eyes, skin.

Nathan likes this.
  9. Nathan

Nathan New Member

My sleep has improved. I just had about 4-5 days of bad sleep and the past 2 nights have been good and a little longer than usual. I can tell my cortisol is low in the morning but I feel fine once I get up and moving. I've been grounding a little less because it's been cold and rainy these past few days. I do notice a difference in my food requirements/cravings when I don't get my grounding/sun time. Still eating lots of seafood and my seafood truck guy will be returning later this month so that will be good.

I've been working on having better thoughts and not dwelling on the drama in my life and it's helping. My spirits have been better and my negative thoughts have been less. Just going to keep on doing what I've been doing and work on getting more and more sun/grounding.

I decided to document my Wim Hof breathing method course for those that are interested in my results. Week 2 video will be uploaded soon. I've really enjoyed it so far and am glad I finally got started on it since I've been meaning to for some time now..

10. Nathan

Nathan New Member

I've been doing well on steps 1-5 and especially 1 as of late. Working on 6. Last I checked my BUN/Creatinine was 13 up from 11 a few months before so working on getting that down and have been adding trace mineral drops to my RO water. Been eating less since getting more sun and rarely get food cravings so take that as a good sign.

11. Nathan

Nathan New Member

My sleep is back to normal so that's a relief. I still wake up somewhat groggy in the morning but feel good once I get moving. Still need to get my cortisol up. I've been dealing with some extremely stressful emotional situations and I think that's my main problem. I've been getting sun daily and grounding. Adding a little grounding in the evening has really helped with my sleep. Warmer days are ahead and the UV index is slowly increasing with a few 8s in the days ahead. I've been using the D-Minder app to maximize my exposure.

caroline likes this.
  12. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Life is good though a bit of a whirlwind. I recently moved and had some trips out of town and feel like I'm finally getting caught up and getting back on track. I went almost a week without getting much sun and got between 8-10K IU the past 2 days according to d-minder and today I'll get at least 10K. The next 2 days are a UV of 11 and I have noticed a great difference since I've been soaking up stronger UV and other frequencies from the sun.

I finally had a chance to meet and spend time with Jack along with Rubin, Joe, Dan, Josh, and Devin at Nourish VT. I learned a ton and had a really amazing time.

So I moved from a house in the country to an apartment building just outside of town. I do have more emfs around me, mainly from other people's wifi but aside from that it's not too bad. When the guy came to set up my cable I told him I wanted an old fashioned modem without wifi and he looked at me a little confused and I gave him a lesson. He was interested so we walked outside and I was barefoot and explained grounding to him and talked up the sun. He was around 50 and looked great and told me he had been healthy his whole life but was recently put on blood thinners and was concerned. I told him to get his morning sun, ground, and drink lots of water and he said he could do that.

I did walk around with my trimeter prior to signing the lease and aside from the wifi the electrical and magnetic fields don't register much on my meter. I have a balcony and can see the sunrise coming up over Cayuga lake so I've been getting lots of morning sun which is great. I feel a little weird sitting in the grass in nothing but shorts but suppose the residents will get used to my ways soon enough.

My sleep continues to be solid and I'm wide awake by 5-5:30am. I feel like my testosterone is finally increasing and my morning wood is back with a vengeance. Will be interesting to see my next labs.

I had a recent experience with quantum entanglement. My girlfriend is due to give birth on June 20th. We had a bit of a falling out and there was a 2 month period without any contact except for her finally returning my calls/texts and telling me to leave her alone and stop calling and some other not so nice things. So last Saturday I was heading out of town to go to an alumni reunion for my fraternity. I stopped by a store to grab some Kevita's since I wasn't planning on imbibing much and was putting them on the check out and heard an Oh My God and looked up and it was my girl. I told her she looked amazing. We made some small talk and made our way to the parking lot and talked some more. She was getting hot from the sun so we went to her house and talked for about 3 hours.

We covered a lot of ground. I'm back in the picture and will be a part of my child's life without having to fight for it. It's a huge weight off my shoulders. I have been spending a lot of time working on myself not just on my health but my emotional state and on intentionally feeling confident, happy, and great about who I am. I made a lot of progress but it was overshadowed by the lack of contact with my girl and not knowing how she was doing or the health of the baby.

I was pleased to learn that she has made a ton of positive changes. When things were good with us we did a lot of research into home and natural child birth. Ithaca has a beautiful birthing center and that was the plan. Well some time after I was out of the picture she found out the baby was in breach. She met with a doctor from the birthing center and he told her her only option was c-section. She asked about wiping her vaginal secretions on the baby if that was the case and the doctor said he didn't get involved with things like that so she kindly told him to f off.

She did her research and found a doctor about 50 minutes away experienced in delivering breached babies. She had been doing yoga, acupuncture, hypnosis, manual version, walking down hills, moxa, and some other stuff I can't recall to get the baby to turn. Well last Monday she had a doctors appointment and the baby finally turned so that's a huge weight off her shoulders.

She is a changed women. I'm still working on her with blue light and emfs and that's been a big sticking point. I'm doing my best to give her space and not be overbearing on it. I think she will slowly come around.

We have both learned a lot and grown a lot from this experience. I don't know what will happen between us in the long term and I'm doing my best to take it all one day at a time and am just focused on being there for her and our baby and being a loving and supportive father.

I have 3 trigger words that I focus on every time I see her. Loving, patient, understanding. I used to laugh at people that said patience is a virtue but now I have a new respect for it. Gratitude and listening/reading to self improvement/personal growth got me through the tough times. I reached out to 2 women I recently met that are mothers and they were extremely supportive. I've learned that gratitude is like a muscle and the more you practice the stronger it gets. I have been on a gratitude high since she has come back into my life and am incredibly grateful for all of the great changes she has made and that I will soon have a baby boy.

Time for a walk and some sun.

fitness@home, caroline and Sue-UK like this.
  13. caroline

caroline Moderator

I like all of this ^^^^^very much. many positive changes!

JK always tells us that we need to first be good for ourself....

14. caroline

caroline Moderator

tell us more about Vermont and what you got out of it.....

15. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Caroline,

Vermont was a great experience. I'm grateful that I was able to meet and get to know fellow members from this site and it was awesome spending time with Jack and Ruben and learning from them in person. I arrived at the event about 30 minutes into Beth Lambert's talk on autism and as soon as I walked in I saw Jack and Ruben and said hi. A lot of what Beth was saying was about how our environment has changed and it resonated with a lot of what Jack teaches us and I kept looking at him and Rubin and they were both nodding and smiling away.

Dr. Magda Havas spoke next and her presentation was great and really highlighted the harms of EMFs and while none of it was new to me I was glad to see a lot of the people in the audience nodding their heads and learning something new. She did a demo with an audible RF meter that made different sounds for cell phones, wifi, baby monitor, etc. and I think that really hit home for a lot of people.

Ruben and Jack spoke later in the day and both of their talks were excellent and well received. It was interesting because the event was sponsored by Weston A. Price foundation and none of the talks I saw talked about food. The videos of the talks should be released soon so be sure to watch them.

I got to spend some time with Jack, Ruben, Josh Rosenthal, Dan Neyland, Joe Gavin, and Devin Shey in between talks and we all hung out drinking wine into the wee hours of the night and that was the latest I had stayed up in some time. Beth Lambert happened to come by and she joined us and Jack and Rubin praised what she had right and recommended what she needs to do to bring her message to a wider audience and have a larger impact.

Jack can come across as very blunt and arrogant and when I saw him speak I was concerned his message would be lost. I was wrong. People got what he was saying and were extremely interested. The next morning I stopped by where the event was held on my way out looking for Jack & co. and I bumped into a girl and we started talking and I asked if she saw Jack speak and she missed it so I filled her in on what she missed. She was intrigued and then a friend of hers joined us and she had seen Jack speak and I asked her what she got out of it and she told me drink lots of good water, get lots of sun, avoid blue light, and watch out for EMFs and I was pleasantly surprised that she picked up his key points. She was very intrigued as well.

Since the event I have changed my approach when talking with people and am being more blunt and cutting to the chase and some people are eating it up and some look at me like I'm crazy and I'm not really concerned about them and would rather focus on those who get it and are frustrated with the shit advice they get from CW, reading the latest in Men's Health, whatever latest thing Dr. Oz is spewing, etc.

16. Nathan

Nathan New Member

And meeting Jack continues to impact me to this day. I am super pissed off right now. Well first I have some amazing news, my son was born on June 22 at 3:01pm and I'm so in love with the little guy. He's super healthy and we just had his second appointment with the pediatrician and everything is great. I've spent a ton of time with him since his birth and that's really all I've been doing since he's come into this world.

My son is really healthy but it's really hard being a parent and seeing all the f-ing bullshit recommended and I really feel for parents trying to do their best for their children because most don't question anyone in a white coat. He had a little jaundice and it cleared up with a little sun and I was taking him out for 10-15 minutes at a time a couple times a day. I spend a lot of time with him skin to skin on my chest and am giving him as many of my electrons as I can. He eats and sleeps well and is a happy little guy.

So we told his pediatrician about his jaundice and how the sun cleared it up and he frowned a bit and he's pushing supplemental vitamin D and says zero sun exposure until 6 months and told us all the risks of sun exposure and that we get moles from the sun and they turn into cancer later in life and all this other bs. Luckily my girlfriends father was there and he feels the baby should be getting some sun but it's been a battle with my girlfriend and her sister's a dermatologist and wants us to limit sun exposure as well. Her father's also a retired doctor and he thinks most doctors are full of shit but my gf defers everything to him and her sister and most of what I say falls on deaf ears. But the fact that this pediatrician and most every other tells every mother and father with a newborn this same advice just really set something off and I understand Jack's frustration with CW so much better now.

I asked the doctor what kids did for vitamin D prior to supplementation being available and he brought up rickets and the latest research and I knew there was no arguing with the guy because he read one research paper and that's the gospel to him despite childhood disease exploding in our advanced country and he can't think beyond what he was taught in med school. Then he gave us some papers pushing sunscreen and some other shite advice and I can barely think right now I'm so frustrated.

Her family is very opinionated and I know they want the best for the kid and I'm on the same page with a lot of what they say but most of them are in complete denial about the harms of EMFs and blue light so it's a constant battle. My little boy is only 10 days old and I'm already scared to death of the potential things that can happen to him. I'm so grateful for his health right now and I'm just going to love him and do my best to be patient and get through to my gf and her family.

I've been feeling pretty well despite my lack of sleep and luckily I've had mostly good sleep up until this point and I'm so glad it's the summer and I have strong sun to recharge my batteries.

17. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Congratulations!

Nathan likes this.
  18. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Thank you!

19. Nathan

Nathan New Member

I had an interesting experience today. I've been doing the Wim Hof method and did it pretty much straight through week 6 however I haven't done it much over the past month due to moving and having a baby.

I have a morning routine and part of that is doing 10-20 deep nasal inhales and holding my breath for 30-60 seconds and there are times when things go black and I get a sort of tunnel vision and get very light headed. This usually only happens in the morning and not throughout my day.

I started up with week 7 of the Wim Hof method this morning and it felt good to get back into it and surprisingly I didn't lose a ton of ground. I did 4 cycles of deep inhales and held my breath on the exhale and then did a 5th round of breathing and did 51 pushups after exhaling all of my air and then I did some stretching and yoga type moves.

I then hit the gym for a quick workout and then spent some time in the sauna and was doing deep breathing of 11 inhales and then doing short breath holds of 5-10 seconds and I was getting this same effect of things going black, tunnel vision, and going to a very deep place mentally, almost like being asleep or in a deep trance. I did this for 30 minutes or so and it felt really good but I'm not quite sure what is happening here. Anyone have any ideas?

20. Nathan

Nathan New Member

I gave a talk last night at my local health food store on how to have more energy and feel great. I talked a lot about getting sun, grounding, drinking lots of water, and avoiding blue light/nnEMF and there was a lot of interest and questions. It was clear that most of the people didn't have the first clue about blue light and EMFs but there were a lot of dots being connected.

The woman who coordinates classes for the store commented afterwards that my talk covered a lot of the same points that I covered in my class on how to reverse Lyme disease and I could tell she was making connections. She commented on how she still listens to an old transistor radio and notices how it gets all staticy when she walks by the new fluorescent lights that her husband recently put in and she said now she understands why and is going to talk to him about switching back to incandescent lights.

Another guy came up after and told me his refrigerator was on the other side of his headboard through the wall and asked what he should do and I was glad to see he made the connection.

caroline likes this.