1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Nathan's Journey to Optimal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Nathan, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Thanks for all of the tips Caroline! I actually sleep on a blowup air mattress. Otherwise I won't sleep a wink. I hiked way into the forest about a year ago and had to sleep without an air mattress or pad. I was so uncomfortable I barely slept a wink. And one of my friends snored away the entire night. I do have a grounding wire that I'll plug directly into the earth so I'll get some benefit. Maybe once I restore my sleep I'll be able to sleep on the ground without issue. I'll have something to aspire to ;)

I'll check out Jeremy asap!

Anything new and exciting with you?

2. Nathan

Nathan New Member

I had a nice time camping. Did some grounding, soaked up lots of radiant heat from the camp fire, and had a nice long hike. Was nice being in the great outdoors away from the city, wifi and other non-native emf.

Sleep has been pretty mediocre lately. I did 30 minutes in the tub at 45F before going to bed last night and was really hoping for a good nights sleep. I woke up 3 times to go to the bathroom however so that was not ideal. While these baths haven't done much for my sleep they have improved my strength. When I used to work out pretty hard in college my max bench press was 225 lbs. The other night in my strength & conditioning class we maxed our bench press. We don't even do bench normally in class. I was going up by increments of 20 lbs at first and then 10 until I couldn't do anymore. I had no idea what I maxed out at but when they added up the plates I had done 235 lbs. So without doing bench press my max went up. I was completely amazed.

I read the Organization Structural Failure 1 blog post while in the tub and really liked it. Here I was chewing my food well my whole life only to learn I should be doing the opposite. Well it sure did come in handy tonight when I had around 10 minutes to eat before heading to my strength & conditioning class. Don't know about swallowing oysters whole though. I just love the taste too much but maybe I'll swallow every other one whole as a compromise.

Off to the tub and a reread of Org Structural Failure 1 and hoping for a good nights sleep..

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Nathan - it sounds like you are doing so well....

maybe try C/T a little earlier in the evening? have you tried sitting in warmer water and then wearing an ice vest on your torso and neck? the fournier effect ....

4. Inger

Inger Silver

Nathan I still find it weird to swallow big chunks t times too lol, but it is pretty fun, and very practical! :)

Your camping sounds so nice! I camp now every night too. in my tent :)

5. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Hi Inger,
    Yes, it certainly is fun and very relaxing!

I need to get some of your recipes that I'm always hearing about!

N

6. Nathan

Nathan New Member

hi Caroline,
    Yes, that's good advice. Just lots of times the only time I can do it is later at night, especially when I go to yoga or a strength & conditioning class since I don't have time to do the bath until after I get home. I actually did 2 baths yesterday. Both around 50F for 35 each. For some reason it's really hard for me to stay longer than 35 minutes. I've lasted 40 minutes a few times but that's rare. Anyway, my second bath was around 5pm and I still had to get up to use the bathroom a few times. I think I'm just detoxing a lot.

I have tried the fournier effect. I find that pretty easy though and I want to become more cold adapted so I am doing all cold for now until my cold endurance improves.

N

7. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Not much new to report. I've been eating well and do cold baths 5-6 days a week. I had some oysters and a lot of mussels over the weekend and more mussels tonight and shrimp for breakfast and I ate some of the shell and tail. Ummm...love that chitin. I haven't been quite as tired in the mornings. I seem to be improving in very small increments, like 2-3% a week. I also feel fine after my hard workouts where before I would be pretty beat. I am so glad I started working out again and it that has really helped me mentally and physically.

I've been thinking more and more about moving and am starting to think through doing just that within the next few months. I just need to figure out where to move to and what I want to do for my next career. Something along the lines of health coach. Just need to work through the details. It will be a major change and is kind of scary but also very exciting too. More to come..

8. caroline

caroline Moderator

Nathan - did you notice that Dr. K. may be doing an informal meet and greet?

9. caroline

caroline Moderator

BTW - Hi! ....so happy you are putting the pieces of your puzzle back together in new and exciting and wonderful ways! Did you read what Dr. K. just said in Yew's journal?

My instinct tells me that you would be a wonderful health coach ..... there is a kindness and positivity about you that I love .... and a generous spirit!

you have come a long way since your first post!

10. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Caroline...as always thank you for your endless kindness and support! It really means a lot and you are such a wonderful person! :)

Didn't know abut the meet and greet. I did read some of Yew's journal...need to learn to speed read to keep up with it all! ;)

11. caroline

caroline Moderator

I am only ever paying forward what my DH gave me ....and what Dr. Kruse is giving all of us .......

Thankyou tho......

12. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Hello folks! A lot has changed in the past few months. Let's see, my last day of my job was on 8/1. After that I visited my family for a week and spent the rest of the month of August getting my house ready to put on the market. Had to do a bunch of painting and mostly superficial repairs. I went to Asia for 3 weeks in September to visit a friend in Macau and spent time in Hong Kong, Thailand, and Vietnam. I fell in love with Thailand and plan to move there at some point.

When I returned from Asia I purged and got rid of a ton of stuff that I hadn't touched for some time. It was very emotional digging up a lot of old memories from my marriage and life for the past 15 years. It did feel good to get rid of a lot of stuff I don't need. Trying to become more of a minimalist, which isn't easy for a life long pack rat. My house is now on the market and once it sells I'll be moving to Ithaca, NY. I've been in the DC area for the past 20 years so it will be a big change. It's close to my family though and Ithaca has a decent amount of diversity and access to quality food.

I spent some time up there and found a beautiful house 10 miles from downtown with an amazing view and you actually can't see any other houses from it. There is not much of a cell phone signal so I will greatly reduce my EMF exposure, which is a major reason for my move. Now I just need my house to sell :). I'll also have lot's of exposure to cold.

I started a year long program with the Institute for Integrative Nutrition to become a health coach in October. Very exciting and glad to be heading into a new phase of my life. I spend my time studying, reading books about great people, watching/listening to podcasts, cooking, and working out. I'm actually just as busy as I was when I had a full time job. My state of mind is so much better though and I have finally found my purpose.

Overall my health has continued to improve. I'm still off all prescriptions and have greatly reduced the number of supplements I take. My sleep has improved a lot and there's still plenty of room for improvement. It goes in phases and sometimes I'll sleep really great and other times not so great. I had to pack up my aquarium chiller for showing my house so have been missing my cold baths but it's cooled off here in the DC area so getting a fair amount of cool air exposure. I'm looking forward to the cold NY winter.

I hope everyone else is in good health!
    Nathan

Inger likes this.
  13. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Nathan! I am so happy to be reading your very positive post!! I worry about the area you are moving to tho.....

You have taken charge of your life and made some wonderful changes - you will be a great health coach. I feel you have a lot of sensitivity and compassion and I love your optimism ...

I am sending you a big bear hug from Australia :)

14. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Thanks so much Caroline. How have you been?

15. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Since moving to the country in upstate NY my health has had some ups and downs. When I first moved here in December 2014 I was going through a divorce that went from bad to worse. My health declined from December through April/May. I was completely stressed and upset from my divorce dragging out, my legal bills going through the roof, and was not in a good place mentally. I was getting chronic cold sores, which was even more horrible than normally getting a cold sore is, since I was in a new town and trying to meet new women to date. Then in May I met and fell in love with an amazing woman. We are still together and things are going great (and I haven't had a cold sore since). My divorce finalized in May and my life and health continued to improve. Amazing what a toll stress can take on one's body.

My energy continued to improve and my sleep was having incremental improvements though still not great. I had been doing cross fit before moving up here and decided it was just too much for my body and I shifted to lifting weights and doing home exercises like pull ups, burpees, kettle bell swings, and jumping rope. I gained a lot of strength and was feeling and looking great. My diet has been good, though I was eating less seafood, mainly because this area does not have near the selection that I had in DC and it's so much more expensive so I've been eating more grass fed beef and pastured eggs. I do eat an abundance of veggies and they have an incredible farmer's market here so they are local and organic. I drink a ton of reverse osmosis water. I wear my blue blockers at dusk and there is only one cell phone tower within 10 miles of me and no wifi. I have also been getting a fair amount of am sun. The good thing about living in the country is I can walk around in boxer shorts 24x7 and there's no one around to offend (or the wrong people to turn on).

I left my corporate job last August and have started working with clients as a health coach. It has been great and one of the first gifts I buy my clients when they sign up with me are a pair of blue blockers.

About a month or two ago my health started declining again for no apparent reason. My sleep is not as good as it has been, I wake up groggy, and I get really bad upper back pain and pain in my shoulder joints. I wake up with a kink in my neck a lot or just really stiff. My bowels have been soft as well. I believe my candida is back and I have been drinking a ton of pau d'arco tea that I make in a glass jar using the suns rays. That has actually been helping some. I've been pounding a lot of curcumin and resveratrol and I take oregano oil. I've also been eating more seafood in the form or sardines and anchovies along with wild salmon when I can get it for a decent price and oysters now and then.

I was doing my own labs however NY state recently passed a law that requires me to go through a doctor and I can no longer use direct labs so I'm flying a little blind as far as that goes. I just went to a doctor that does Field Control Therapy, which is a combination of bio-resonance and kinesiology and he said I have lyme, mercury, antibiotics, candida, EBV, and various environment toxins in my bone marrow. He gave me about 25 homeopathic medicines that I'll be taking over the next 10 days. I didn't think it possible but this guy seems to hate EMFs even more than Jack.

Anyway, I've decided to sleep in a tent in my yard for the next 10 days to further reduce my EMF exposure. I'll be pounding a ton of seafood and getting as much am sun as possible and plan on reading a lot and keeping my pc use down to 2 hours a day (or is close to that as possible).

Question: I'll be sleeping on an air mattress in my tent. I've tried sleeping on the ground before when camping and I am so uncomfortable and end up getting no sleep. Is there a benefit to me dragging my magnetico out in the tent or do I get the same affect from being so close to the ground?

Also, has anyone had success with homeopathic medicine?

Any other recommendations are welcome.

I hope others are doing well on their road to optimal.

Nathan

16. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Nathan .... lots and lots happening in your life !

Have you thought of sleeping on a sheepskin? or something similar?

17. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Thank you. I think the Gulf Coast is in my future though it will be a few years. What positive benefits have you noticed since moving there?

thisbirdhaswings likes this.
  18. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Hi Caroline, I just can't sleep on a hard surface like the ground. A sheepskin wouldn't offer much in the way of cushion unless it had all the wool on it and I just don't think I could do that. How are you? Still enjoying your walks along the beach? I'll be heading to Portugal in a few weeks and will be staying on the beach. Can't wait to have my toes in the sand. :)

19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Northeast Nathan is not bueno for you...............I been telling you that and you'll have to get that message clear in your own mind.

Why N=1 is key in medicine today: No one is the ideal person you are searching for if you’re not the ideal person performing the search.

20. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Nathan - I am great thanks! yep ....love the ocean more and more every day and summer is coming! Have a great time in Portugal - should be lots of great seafood - enjoy :)