1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Nathan's Journey to Optimal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Nathan, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Happy New Year! It's been a while since I've logged on to this site. Far too long. I've been dealing with some major life changes. My wife and I separate at the end of November so I've been dealing with that. As a result my sleep has been horrible and I just haven't had much extra energy to do what I need to do. Anyway, I had my pity party for myself and now I am moving on.

I recently returned from a week in St. Lucia. I was up in the mountains and spent some time on the beach and in natural hot springs and it was all very beautiful. I thought it would be very restful however I barely slept the whole time. I did manage to eat pretty clean and did a lot of earthing on the beach, in the ocean, and on the mountain. I also cooked up some local fish and veggies and that was really good. Due to some recent hurricanes the fish was limited but what I was able to get was very fresh and tasty.

Since I've been home my sleep has actually been improving. I think I finally just wore my body down so much that it just gave in to sleep. Hopefully that continues. This is a new year and this is my year to get really healthy and back to 100%. I'm starting to work out some more and need to start doing CT more regularly. It was pretty sporadic over the holidays and now I plan to start doing it consistently again. I also plan on finding a good endocrinologist to fine tune my hormones. I think that's my one missing link.

I definitely indulged in bad food over the holidays but have been back on track as of late and plan on staying that way.

I hope everyone else is doing well!

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Nathan .... I am so happy to see you back here. I am so sorry you have had a tough time. It is time now to totally focus on yourself and live the optimal life that you deserve .... That we all deserve.

I never did get to St. Lucia .... Always wanted to. I am surprised that your sleep was so bad there - but I suppose you Need time to process stuff.

Dr. Tim Jackson is going to be doing a program with consults etc. maybe email Misty if you're interested.

May I just say that you have always been so lovely when you have posted. I always appreciated your kind words...... And I have missed you. :)

3. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Hi Caroline,

Thanks and it's good to be back. So how have you been? Still enjoying nice strolls on the beach? What else have you been up to? Did you enjoy your holidays? And thank you for your never ending support and kindness! I hope you are well and enjoying your journey to optimal.

I forgot to mention I finally got my HS-CRP and it is 3.9. I was surprised it was so high considering all of the progress I've made. Not sure why I still have so much inflammation. I've been going heavy on chlorella in an attempt to detox. I think it's helping because my sleep is better when I do that. I've also been eating lots of sauerkraut and ume boshi to fix my gut. I actually got the idea to take a lot of detox agents before bed from Dr. Bronli (sp?) of magnetico. I called to say I wasn't haven't good results with my magnetico and that's what he recommended due to all of the antibiotics I was on. He said my body has a heavy toxic load and when I sleep my body has a hard time getting rid of them all which affects my sleep. I have to say it has helped. He was really nice and spent a lot of time with me on the phone.

I'll keep Dr. Tim Jackson in mind. Ideally I would like to find a local doctor that I can meet with in person. If not I'll look into him.

So at the villa we stayed at in St. Lucia, the owner has a bit of a mystical/healing background. His grandmother new a lot about local herbs to use for healing and people travels many miles for her help. He learned a lot from her. He was a bit of a drinker so I didn't get a ton out of him but his daughter told me about a horribly itchy skin outbreak that she had. She told me her father had her crush turmeric and boil it in water and drink it 3x a day for a month and it did wonders for her. I've been taking turmeric supplements but I think I'll try using the root and making a tea like she did. Should help with inflammation. He was also telling me to drink the water at the hot springs. I asked how much and he cupped his hands and said like this (making drinking motion) three times. The water is high in sulfur and pretty stinky so I wasn't quite ready to try that. I actually did take a tiny sip but it probably wasn't enough to do any good. The hot springs actually did help with some of my minor aches and pains.

4. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Nathan. I am just fine - thankyou for asking. We are having beautiful weather - 28C today with clear blue skies. The sun is very strong this year because of the donut hole so I finally bought myself a sun umbrella yesterday! I need to start being more careful.

How interesting about the herbs.....If you look up an early post by Ricardo - he told us about a anti cancer brew with tumeric. It is in the epi Paleo diet thread.

Have you signed up for the free 90 day reset? Dr. Jackson will be somewhat involved it seems and Dr. Bonlie too.

One thing that Dr. Jackson said that really stayed with me ....sometimes when you are trying to detox and not methylating properly - you could just be recirculating all the toxins back into your body/cells/tissues. He said he has seen people very sick and not able to get out of bed for a couple of weeks. Anyway - food for thought!

your hsCRP is high ... you have work to do! At least you are sleeping better.....:) I seem to think if we start sleeping better - other things will fall into place.

How is your non native EMF situation?

5. sooperb

sooperb New Member

So sorry for your sad times Nathan. Semper sursum eh :)

I agree about the sleep. I feel so much better when I have mostly uninterrupted sleep, it's the universal panacea I'm sure and quite possibly the reason why folk fall ill and find it difficult to recover. I'm watching with interest the thread of the person who bought the Earthpulse. It's a lot of money but nowhere near as expensive as the Magnetico. I have looked at a few diverse reviews and it doesn't seem to work for everyone unfortunately. I have a granddaughter who desperately needs to improve her sleep pattern and wonder if it would work for her, it's a lot of money but worth it if it did. The usual dilemma I guess, money v results and no certainty it will work.

6. Hope

Hope Gold

Hi Nathan,

so sorry for your sleep troubles. I want to encourage you not to give up on magnetico. How long have you had it? It can take months to see an improvement. I'm glad the chlorella helps a bit. He told me too that the pad is very detoxifying. Have you had your methylation pathways tested?

Not having read your whole journal, where are you on the EMF front? Based on where you live, I reckon it's not great? have you tested that? do you have smart meters near where you live? How many antennas and towers are close to you? Just wondering.

If you were on a lot of ABX, I am sure it will take time to heal the gut....but good luck!

7. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Hi Caroline,

Glad to hear you are well and enjoying your walks. Yes, better watch out with that donut hole.

I've done what I can to reduce my non native EMF but living in the DC area it's hard to escape. I keep my wifi off for the most part and hard wire to my modems, I don't have much plugged in my room but still need a kill switch for my circuit breaker. At work is another story. My entire building has wifi so there's no escaping it. Hopefully my ice baths and magnetico are helping mitigate my exposure.

I haven't signed up for the 90 day reset. I've been super busy with work so have been slacking somewhat. Things should slow down in a month or so and then I can get started doing additional things to improve my health. are you doing it? What have you tried/likes so far?

You're right, I'm not a good methylator. That's why I take a ton of chlorella every night. I think it's helping but sometimes it's hard to say. I also got some detox foot pads and have been using them nightly for the past 2 weeks. They seem to be working too. I'll just keep at it. I have made turmeric tea a few times and it's pretty good. I need to get some gloves though because it stained my fingers pretty bad! I was afraid people would think I took up smoking with my yellow fingers. Seems to have finally come off after multiple hand washings.

So have you tried oysters again? I had some tonight and they sure where good.

Ok, take care and talk soon!

8. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Thanks sooperb.

Yes, it's a difficult call. When you can't sleep you will do just about anything to improve it. I was starting to sleep well but the past few nights not so much. Magnetico does allow returns after 6 months (they want you to give it at least that long to work) and I think you loose 1 month's payment and have to pay return shipping so there is that to consider. I haven't heard anything about Earthpulse. Has she tried herbs such as passion flower or valerian root? I've had pretty good luck with valerian in the past and ran out so need to get some more. I haven't tried passion flower yet but have heard good things about it and have some ordered. I'll keep trying...

9. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Hi Hope,

I've had my magnetic for about 5 month now I think. I'll keep with it. What have you noticed from using your magnetico? Yes, I'm to a good methlylator so I have that to contend with.

EMF is pretty bad here in DC. I don't think my neighborhood has smart meters yet luckily but everyone around me has wifi so even with mine off I'm getting exposure and I get it at work all day.

Yes, very focused on healing my gut. I love the Kavita probiotic drinks and I tried to make my own fermented coconut water however it's not tasting so good at the moment. I'll give it another day or so and maybe it will turn around.

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Nathan ...it is too bad you are too busy to join the free 90 day reset. Dr. K. did a three hour Q&A and this week will be C/T ... maybe sign up and at least see some of the things when you have time. It has been great.

Have a look at Ricardo's posts ... he knows a lot of stuff ... also yew ......crazy smart guys!

I haven't tried oysters again - scared ... but I need to get over it! I do eat my body weight in shrimp however - not as good I know! Every time I have been in a position to have oysters - I have been with friends and didn't want to start throwing up
    - not a good look!

Make sure you read the current blog and the next one coming ....all about our redox potential. This seems to be the piece of the puzzle we are all missing.

Are you feeling better? is your health improving? Maybe you need to head to the Gulf for a week of sun and fun?

I think we should all head to NOLA for mardi gras .... and let the good times roll.....;)

11. Nathan

Nathan New Member

I've been meaning to post to my journal forever and am finally getting around to it.

I went through a bit of rough patch and took a few steps back but things are heading in the right direction again. I had a stretch where I was feeling super tired in the morning for the first few hours so I did another ASI and my Cortisol was way low. My doc diagnosed me with stage 3 adrenal fatigue. Here are my numbers:

Morning Cortisol: 11 ref range: 13 - 24
    Noon Cortisol: 3.4 ref range: 5 - 8
    Afternoon Cortisol: 2.9 ref range: 4 - 7
    Nighttime Cortisol: 1.2 ref range: 1 - 3
    DHEA-S Average: 4.9 ref range: 2 - 10
    Cortisol/DHEA-S ratio: 3.8 ref range: 5 - 6
    Melatonin (bedtime): 11 ref range: 12 - 35

She put me on 25 mg of Pregnenalone 2x a day and 25 mg of DHEA 1x a day. It's been about 3 weeks and I'm slowly feeling better and sleep has been improving.

I think my adrenal fatigue can be attributed to the divorce I'm going through. It's been harder on me emotionally than I wanted to admit but I think I'm finally making progress and am feeling better. I also started drinking more than I should be. I only drink on the weekend but I was getting too comfortable and having a few too many glasses of vino. I had a good friend in town that I haven't seen in years so I did have a few drinks last weekend but that will be it for a while.

I've been increasing my CT. I was only doing about 2x a week before for 30 minutes and now I'm doing about 5 x a week for 35-40 minutes in 45-50 degree water. I seemed to have plateaued and can only make it to 40 minutes on occasion. I'll stick with it though.

There's also good news. I started working out again doing crossfit and yoga back in February. I hadn't worked out in over a year and it feels so great to be working out again and has been a great confidence boost. My weight is now in the low 170s. I was stuck around 150 for a long time and looked completely emaciated. Nearly all of my weight gain has been muscle so the epi-paleo rx has helped. My white blood cell count has also been inching up and has been about 5 the past few times I've had my blood drawn. I just need to feel as good on the inside as I look on the outside and I'll be in great shape.

I dug into my 23andme results and have the following MTHFR defects:
    C677T +/-
    A1298C +/-
    A2756G +/-
    BHMT-02,04,08 +/-
    VDR Taq +/+
    MAO AR297R +/+
    CBS A360 +/+

My doc recommend Sparga to help with sulphur detox and also has me on methylated folate and N-AC. I have been eating a lot of cysteine rich foods as well and have done a few glutathione ivs and suppositories. Also put me on some adaptogens for my adrenals.

Has anyone tried B-12 injections? I take it sublingually but may try the injections for an extra boost.

I've also been re-reading some of the EE blog series and need to re-read the Redox rx. Sticking with the program and getting back to business. Not that I strayed too far but time to focus again.

I've listened to most of the webinars and they have been great and are such a huge help. I'll listen to them a few more times and they really make my commute to and from work a joy.

Let's see...I have also started journaling. Have been at it for a few weeks and it's pretty good and helps keep me positive. Now I just need to start meditating :).

I'll plan on doing a better job of keeping this up to date moving forward.

12. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Hi Caroline,

Apologies for my late, late reply. I've been such a slacker! How are you? I hope you are well enjoying your lovely beach.

I've checked out most of the webinars...I ended up buying access so I could download all of them. I got behind because I have been doing crossfit on Tuesdays and Thursdays and yoga on Wednesdays after work and have been pretty beat after that so didn't have the motivation to do anything else. Starting to feel better again so I'll be more current on the blog. Speaking of which, I saw that you have a guest blog post. That is so great! I look forward to reading it in the next few days. :)

Thanks for the recommendation...I'll check out Ricardo's post as well.

I've been eating my share of oysters...I sure do love them! I love all shell fish but oysters of definitely my fave. I love shrimp too but they've been pretty pricey here so I haven't had them much. They tend to get cheaper in the summer so I'll be loading up soon.

I will be heading to the Gulf but not until July. I have some friends in Naples, FL so I'll be spending some time with them.

So what else is up with you? Is your health where you want it to be?

N

13. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Nathan! It is so great to hear from you - you seem to be doing well altho I do worry about the crossfit!
    The fact that you are beat after is a concern......please reconsider....

Are you getting outside .... lots of grounding and sunshine?

Have you listened to the webinar and Q&A with Jeremy? He is a spectacular young man - we can learn so much from him.....

You have been thru such a tough time emotionally ....You are such a lovely and thoughtful man -

I am doing really well - thankyou .... my trip to Florida cost me a little too many electrons I am afraid - but it was a trip of a lifetime for so many reasons.

Have you managed to listen to all Jack's podcasts? the last one is a great one - with Cyndi O'Meara in Oz.

All the optimal reset ones were great too .... Have you managed to listened to all of those?

The one with Ben Greenfield?

Please keep us posted ....... You are doing so well ........lots of great things in store for you...

14. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Hi Caroline,

Glad to hear you are doing well! I did listen to the Ben Greenfield webinar and recently listened to Bhavesh Patel's and both were really great. I'm a pretty regular listener of Ben's podcast too. I'll check out the others as time permits.

I made it through Friday and Saturday without drinking. I actually went to bed shortly after 10 last night. I fell asleep pretty easily however I woke up at 4:30 and couldn't fall back asleep. Sleep is still my main issue.

I had some new labs run recently so interested to see the results.

Did 30 minutes in the tub at around 45 yesterday and getting ready to hop in after my journal update.

Have had a lot of shell fish this weekend and made some new bone broth and have consumed some of that. I went for a long walk in the sun with my dog and did most of it barefoot. I drink a ton of RO water and have been minimizing non-native emf as best I can. I also started cold laser therapy to help with my detox. I've done 2 sessions and have no idea if it's working. The woman did some emotional exercise where she had me do visualizations and tapped on my head to break the connection to negative thoughts. She said most people have incredible sleep after that therapy. Not so much for me. I'll give it a few more tries..

I am slowly coming to the realization that I may need to move. I'm giving myself the rest of this year and if I continue to be stuck I'll bite the bullet and move to a more ideal geography. Originally, I thought I could never move but I need to put my health and well-being first and foremost. After all...I am worth it! ;) I'm just getting tired of being tired and not being optimal. Every now and then I have glimpses of what I should feel like and think I've turned a corner and then I fall back.

Going to a party this afternoon and am bringing some Kavita's to drink to help avoid temptation. But before that I have a date with my bathtub :)

N

caroline and fitness@home like this.
  15. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Nathan .......I feel so proud of you! you are just diving in and working on your very own n=1......

Please read more about the damages of crossfit .....

Have you thought of a vielight?

Have fun at the party ..... relax and enjoy and touch someone! :)

16. caroline

caroline Moderator

please remember .......electrons, electrons, electrons.......

17. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Hi Caroline,

Don't know much about a vielight. Have you tried one and have you had positive results?

Thanks for looking out. I don't actually do crossfit...I do strength and conditioning classes that incorporate crossfit exercises but it's not as intense as the real crossfit gyms. It's kind of a crossfit light and it's helping me add muscle weight and I figure I need to do some work with weights to help my body produce more testosterone and hgh. I do strength and conditioning 3 days a week and do yoga once a week. Both make me feel really good.

Had a nice dinner of sauteed onions in coconut oil and grassfed butter, a splash of white wine and lemon juice and some really nice shrimp. Hopefully I'm building up my cysteine stores and making some glutathione.

Getting ready to take a bath before heading to bed. Hopefully it results in a good, deep sleep. I sure could use it.

N

18. caroline

caroline Moderator

If you check out Yew's journal - taking it slow.... He has one. Dr. K. Has talked about them....

Have you seen the webinar and Q&A with Jeremy? Massively important - Jeremy can, and is, teaching us so much.

He has his own website .....have a look ..... Jeremy Thomley

19. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Last night I slept through the night for the first time in a very long time. I did 30 minutes in the tub at around 48F and went straight to bed. It probably took me a good half hour or more to warm up. I just have a light blanket on my bed and had the window open and fan on. Once my shivering subsided, I fell asleep pretty fast and didn't stir until my alarm at 6:30am. I was even dreaming when my alarm went off. That is definitely progress for me. I did wake up feeling tired and groggy however. Still need to work on getting my cortisol levels up.

I'll be going camping this weekend so it will be a nice getaway from nn EMF and I'll be sure to do a lot of grounding. There's a lake so maybe I'll be able to jump in and do some CT as well :)

Was at a work meeting tonight at a restaurant and everyone was drinking and I was good and didn't drink any alcohol. It's actually a lot easier this time around to not drink. When I quick before it was so hard to so no and now it's no biggy. I did cheat a little and ate some flatbread pizza. My legs were a little sore from working out and after eating some carbs I could feel them a lot more. Amazing how sensitive I am to carbs now that I'm off them for the most part. I ate some fish and cauliflower when I got home to make up for it.

Time for bed and hoping for another solid night's sleep..

20. caroline

caroline Moderator

It is so great that you are going camping! Someone here was talking about sleeping on the ground and they had the most amazing sleep and dreams.

Please tell us all about it when you come home ... and when you have time of course!

Have a ton of fun ..... and dance at the very edge of your life!

walk bare foot, roll around on the grass, hug someone - multiple times if they will let you! swim in that stream ...naked if at all possible!

Laugh until it hurts ..... and one more thing ..... have a bonfire or a fire pit - or whatever is possible .... and sit and dream big dreams!

we all deserve to have the most amazing life .....but we need to go out and get it! It isn't coming to us anytime soon! It isn't just going to show up on our doorstep!

Please have a look at Jeremy and be totally inspired ......