1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Nathan's Journey to Optimal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Nathan, Aug 14, 2013.

1. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

I did the ERMI test from Mycometrics (which Martin recommends for accuracy). The lab is good. Before I decided on them, I called around to local businesses that did mold inspections but they were at least that much and most were MORE.

The ERMI test was not cheap, but at least I have my answers. Still have remediation work to do on our home... Will test again in a year.

P.s. I have night sweats too

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  2. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Thank you. Guess I will have to bite the bullet and buck up. How's your remediation coming along?

Do you get night sweats when you do CT? I don't think I've gotten them when I take my activated charcoal. I just need to be more consistent in taking it. Sometimes I get lazy taking so many different things...

3. freesia

freesia Old Member

Well done on the a-MSH increase Nathan. :)
    Thats a big deal!
    I feel sure you're on the right track with these protocols.

I started CT in April last year (Fall here) and my hands were running warm by mid-June or so.
    I always, always had cold hands before. I hated Winter!

I've never put my feet, hands or forearms in the ice water, initially because I wasn't brave enough! In time I realised those bits were adapting (feeling warm at cold exposure) along with the rest of me anyway. It's winter here now and my feet warm in response to walking on very cold wet grass or tiles.
    My husband puts his hands in the bathwater for 15 mins after I've finished - yes strange practices go on in this house and I hardly notice anymore! - and he's adapted them gradually to 44 F or so with no issues.

Hope you'll continue to see great progress. :)

4. Nathan

Nathan New Member

@ATL Paleo
    That's working pretty well CT just my hands and I'm making good progress.

@freesia
    Very glad to hear that. My hands and feet turn freezing as soon as the temp drops below 60 and don't thaw out until the summer. Looking forward to not having to deal with that.

Cold adapting is happening slower than I would like. Sleep has improved the past few nights so I'm hoping it continues. I still wake up kind of tired but that's getting better too so I'll stick with the protocols.

5. Martin

Martin Gold

Nathan, I finally read all of your journal and as I've already said, lots of good stuff here. I see what the Doc is talking about when he mentioned we should commiserate.

You got your a-MSH up!!!!!!! Yeah! Great news! And your commitment to CT'ing is inspiring. My skinny little ass can't go below 73 degrees without going into a major cardiac event, so I think you're doing well to do what you do.

I firmly believe we can rebuild our bodies to be able to handle biotoxins in our environment. It's all about the field. Well done on redoing your exposure to EMF's. It's my main focus here on the farm.

Loved your "front row seat comment"! That's exactly how I have viewed being here for the past two years+.

Keep us all posted!

Big H

6. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Perhaps you could try dunking your head in colder water? I mean your face?

7. caroline

caroline Moderator

If Martin dunks his head in cold water ... he will ruin that awesome hairdo......what are you thinking Sally???

8. caroline

caroline Moderator

When Martin talks about his "skinny little ass" I have improper thoughts.... How do you do the blushing smiley?

9. Martin

Martin Gold

This is a good idea. I went straight in to the cold(ish) tub after a consult with Doc. But lately I've been thinking about adding back to that basic procedure. Mammalian dive reflex, and all.

Seriously, nonchalant, do you think My Big Head would fit down in a bathtub?!

10. Martin

Martin Gold

(blushing smiley)

11. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Of course, Martin. Be careful of the sink, however, the faucet could trap you...
    I almost always dunk my face while in the tub, btw. It just feels too good to skip.

12. Nathan

Nathan New Member

I've been slacking on my journal. After the forum was down for a few weeks I just got out of sync. Time for some updates. Let's see what is new.

After reading the past few Brain Gut blog posts and learning of the extensive damage that antibiotics do to your gut I decided to stop taking antibiotics. It's been over a year that I've been on antibiotics and after reading that a week of antibiotics can give you a leaky gut for up to 9 months I can't imagine what a year has done to my gut. My doctor was pulsing me and after my last visit she said after my next cycle to go two weeks without antibiotics. I didn't notice any big changes from being off of antibiotics for two weeks so I decided that my body needs a break. Instead, I'm taking 5 drops of some very strong oregano oil twice a day to keep any additional bacteria at bay.

To help fix my gut I'm going heavy on natural probiotics and eating lots of sauerkraut, miso soup, and kimchi, and even some occasional natto. It's been about a month since I've been off antibiotics and I'm feeling better overall. In fact my sleep has shown some improvement.

Sleep has continued to be my most stubborn issue. I decided to get a Magnetico mattress to help with this and I've had it for a little over 3 weeks now. The first two nights I slept pretty well and I thought wow, I can finally sleep...but then I had a week of less than optimal sleep. The past week and a half has been pretty good. I still wake up once or twice during the night but I have been waking up feeling better rested than I have in a very long time. I've been dreaming a lot more too. Changes are happening.

I got some new tests back and my testosterone was very low at 216 ng/dl. I need to find my old lab for T but this is a substantial drop from before. Definitely not what any man wants to hear that his testosterone is in the dumper. This was another reason I decided to stop taking antibiotics. Not sure why my testosterone would drop so much when it was in a more normal range before. My doctor put my on Androgel and I've been applying that for the past few days. Even before the test I knew my T was low. Certain parts not working the way they should and that has not really been an issue in the past. I've also has long periods of zero motivation, which is unusual for me.

Cold Thermogenesis seems to boost it temporarily in the middle of the night. Nothing like waking up aroused and having to urinate really bad. Seems that's the only time it has worked lately. I suppose it my body's way of coming back into balance but we'll see.

I have continued to gain a few more pounds and can finally wear my wedding band again without fear of loosing it. People are starting to comment that I'm looking better. My face is slowly filling out and my youth is slowly coming back. I need a new passport but I've been putting it off because I've hated pictures of myself lately and I don't want to be stuck with a picture of me looking terrible for the next 10 years. I think I'll be ready for that picture again soon.

My wife is not doing CT but has been doing most of the Leptin Rx and the weight has been melting off of her. She's been working really hard and lost a bunch of weight over the past several months and then plateaued for a while and then she lost 12 pounds in 6 weeks on the Leptin Rx. She's sold. Still trying to convince her to do CT.

I have been doing CT pretty regularly but progress has been slow. The longest I have gone has been 36 minutes in 55 degrees. It had been a few days and I finally did it tonight but barely made 30. Not sure what was up. It's working though and I'm sticking with it. I used to work out a lot and was really ripped. I haven't worked out in many months but a buddy of mine saw me without a shirt on the other day and asked what I was doing for my workouts. I told him ice baths and he laughed and said seriously, what am I doing? I told him ice baths again and it's clear he doesn't believe me. I wouldn't have either a few months ago...

I just sent my parents Dr. Kruse's book and my mother is really excited about trying out the Leptin Rx. She thinks she may be able to get my stepfather on board too. Very exciting. I just gave my in-laws a copy and am hoping they get on board. I saw some family friends over the weekend and the husband of the woman I saw had cancer and is in remission. I asked how he was doing and she said good and was telling me just got into a vegan diet. I told her to NOOOOO and to get Dr. Kruse's book to him immediately before he does too much damage to himself and I think I convinced her. She noted how much better I looked than the last time she saw me and I'm sure she picked up my zeal for my new way of life.

That's all for now. Hope everyone else is doing well out there in Kruseland!

13. caroline

caroline Moderator

What a great update Nathan .... you are starting to turn around your titanic!

I hope you are a "Gold" member.....this month's webinar on sleep is going to be critical for all of us ..... and then a few days later there will be a live Q&A where you can ask questions. Maybe I have already told you this ...when you are a gold member - you have access to all the webinars and Q&A's

There is a sleep webinar thread in the cave and Dr. K has been dropping lots of hints......;)

14. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Caroline, thanks for the info. When is the webinar? I'm not a gold member but I think I'll have to upgrade for this webinar. Every time I read a blog post referencing sleep and autophagy (which is like almost all of them) I cringe at the thought of the damage my lack of sleep is doing to me.

How are you doing?

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

I am doing great thanks Nathan ....I need to sleep better tho...Now that I know so much more - lousy sleep really scares me .....well only if I want to be around for a long time.

JK hasn't told us when the webinar is yet ....maybe towards the end of the month ....but I am just guessing - that seems to be when they usually are. When it is released - you can view it at any time that is suitable for you and then watch it as many times as you need to. I think we should be watching the C/T webinar before this one too .....just my opinion on that....

we need to improve our DC current ....Fat, water, and low EMF .....and ketosis is hugely important - makes 147 ATP
    The more dietary fat we eat - the more energy becomes available to replace energy losses.

I eat a ton of fat ...so I should have a ton of energy ...but I am missing something .....it is Emf I am sure - on my computer too much......

16. caroline

caroline Moderator

Nathan - I forgot to ask .... are you eating epi-paleo? extremely important - you need tons of raw oysters for so many reasons....;)

17. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Thanks Caroline, I'll keep an eye open for the next webinar and I look forward to it.

I listened to the CT webinar. I'm not sure where Dr. Kruse gets 2 weeks from to cold adapt but I've been doing it for almost 6 weeks and don't feel very cold adapted. I've made some progress but it's taking longer than I would like. It's cooled off here lately so I'm definitely able to get the ac in my car much cooler so I get some extra CT to and from work. I did a bath last night and it was really hard but I managed 30 minutes in 55F water.

Have you been doing much CT? Maybe that's what you're missing? My sleep has definitely improved and of course there's plenty of room for improvement but that has definitely helped with my energy.

Yep, doing epi-paleo. I love oysters but they're a little pricey so I don't eat them all the time. I do eat a ton of fish and shell fish. I have some grass fed beef bones in my pressure cooking now to make a bone broth for my gut.

I think EMF is tough for us all. Where in Australia are you? Is it more rural or urban? I'm in an urban area so there's EMF everywhere. That and tons of metal dust from all of the cars.

Well try to get a break from your computer and eat some oysters yourself! Hope your sleep improves and sweet dreams!

18. caroline

caroline Moderator

Thanks Nathan ....I am sleeping better - ditched the wine and brandy and am supposed to be off coffee... But screwed that up the last couple of days. I have just had a BPC first thing in the morning. Have we talked about BPC?

I don't C/T enough....I take more cold showers and go to the ocean every day - but it isn't cold enough ...so I have to pull up my socks!

Do you know - if you are that cold when you C/T..... Put on some wool sox, gloves, hat ......cut yourself some slack. :)

Nathan - watch the sex webinar and the Q&A if you haven't already - very, very worthwhile. Dr K. Leaves no stone unturned in those. My personal favorite is the one after the sex one - maybe June .... I am losing track. If that isn't right I will get back to you with the proper months.

I don't remember the two week thing ...is that from the webinar? Please remember that everyone is different - don't compare yourself to anyone else .....just go at your own pace.

The last few times I ate oysters - I threw everything up and now I am scared to try again! Dr. K told me that he

doesn't let that stop him ... So now I have to man up.....:)

I live about 90 minutes south of Sydney on the ocean.... I thought I was in heaven until Dr. k. Burst my bubble when he talked about the donut hole here. I am not a real Aussie however - I spent most of my life in Ontario, Canada - so not far from you!

You sound like such a lovely man .... I hope your DW appreciates the heck out of you....;)

You are doing great....you seem to have a good handle on all of this .....keep following the guy with the flashlight!

Would your wife consider starting a journal here? So many are struggling with their weight ....It sounds as if she has it nailed.... And she could encourage others....

19. freesia

freesia Old Member

Hi Nathan,

Re the two weeks - it took me way longer. I started with low body temperature and I have long term ME/CFS, so these issues may account for extra hurdles in the cold hardening department? Plenty of people take longer so don't get discouraged!
    Anyway, just to give you an alternative to a 2 week adaptation :) it was about 5 weeks of icebaths every 2 days until I was getting regular signs I was adapting - i.e. I switched to non shivering thermogenesis and got the inner furnace burning reliably. I had to use heat on a few occasions when I hadn't warmed up after too many hours shivering. ;)

I didn't feel adapted until maybe 3 or 4 months in. At that point I could comfortable tolerate daily baths in the low - mid 40s, had a normal body temperatureirst time all day (first time since pre adolescence!) and I stopped getting temperature fluctuations at night. In due course I became more heat tolerant too....nice bonus.

Best :)

20. freesia

freesia Old Member

PS
    ...LOVE this!!

PPS LOL about people not understanding how icebaths are optimal exercise. Anti-inflammatory exercise. More power to you - keep at it. :)