1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Narrow Band UVB light treatment

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by Ruth Dejarnette, Dec 5, 2018.

1. As I mentioned, I had light therapy for polymorphic light eruptions. They said it was narrow band UVB bright light therapy in the light cabinet. It is very bright, you have to cover your eyes with special goggles, you stand in it naked and they turn it on for so many seconds, you go every other day until you can tolerate the desired number of minutes. They call it skin hardening. That is all the info on it I have at this point...would you recommend it again for this season? Do I need to get more specifics on wavelength, etc?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

UVa is #1
    IRa is #2

///

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Ruth find out the frequencies. I think going straight to UV is nuts with that condition. It will work but it is way more risky than it needs to be.

drezy likes this.
  4. Narrow band UVB uses: 311-312nm (see chart below)

The protocol I received was:
    85 mJ (millijoule)
    wattage 3.8 irradiance
    starting out at 45 seconds
    increasing 15% each treatment

Cabinet looks something like this:

[​IMG][​IMG]

This is what some of the literature says:
    Let me know what you think and what you think of the risk/benefit trade off.

Narrow Band UVB
    Narrow Band UVB has proven to be the most effective phototherapy treatment option for thousands of psoriasis patients all over the world. With more research being done every day on conditions such as eczema, vitiligo, and mycosis fungoides, Narrow Band UVB continues to show its versatility with its promising results.

UVB Narrow Band[​IMG]
    Why Narrow Band UVB is different

• Conventional broad band UVB lamps emit a variety of wavelengths ranging from 280-330 nm.
    • Narrow Band UVB virtually eliminates superfluous and harmful UV by emitting only wavelengths 311-312 nm.
    • Clinical studies show the peak therapeutic effectiveness of UVB to be within the range of 295-313 nm, but wavelengths below 300 nm can cause erythema or severe burning and increase the risk of skin cancer.
    Benefits of Narrow Band UVB Therapy
    • Eliminating UV in wavelengths below 311 nm permits higher intensities and longer exposure times, so patients can derive the maximum benefit from phototherapy.
    • This increased effectiveness permits more aggressive treatment regimens, resulting in a shorter course of treatment.
    • Extensive research* confirms that patients not only avoid the danger of serious burning from sub-erythemal exposure, they may also enjoy longer remission periods after treatment.
    • Remission periods are similar to those with PUVA therapy and markedly superior to broad band UVB treatment. Studies show 38-40 percent of narrow band treated patients require no additional therapy for at least 12 months.

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I thought it would straddle 312 because this is the frequency that makes Vitamin D from cholesterol

JanSz, drezy and Sajid Mahmood like this.
  6. JanSz

JanSz Gold

A typical human eye will respond to wavelengths from about
    380 to 700 nanometers.

If the light is bright
    it is visible.
    So the light have frequencies of 380nm and up.
    So it have some UVa on top of promised UVb(311-312 nm)

(UVB 280–315 nm)(UVA 315–400 nm)-----Visible up to 700nm

Marc Lacasse likes this.

7. So, you are saying because it can be seen, it can not only be narrow band UVB of 311-312nm, that their is also UVALight.

Is that a good or bad thing, and why?