1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

My word definitions helper extension for this site

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by seanb4, Mar 1, 2015.

1. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Hey guys,

I just finished a basic extension that I would like you to try out and give me feedback. Basically you type a word and it's definition (for example EMF = Electromotive force) and then when you are reading through one of Jacks Blogs it will be highlighted green. If you click it, it's definition will show. It's a handy way to remember all the terms and acronyms flying about and you can word it in a way that helps you remember/learn.

Anyway it only works on google chrome for now. If you wana try it out and leave feedback I would be grateful. Here is the link : https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...mbpbpcdhepkihfglmhohgl/related?hl=en-GB&gl=GB

To use it just click the JH icon in your toolbar next to the search bit then to add a word to your dictionary type in the word (make sure you spell it correctly) and definition then click update. To delete a word, type in the word and then leave definition blank.

Oh and you have to refresh the page to see any words you recently added. Bit of a pain but I couldn't find an easy way around it.

Let me know what you think!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    Lahelada and Kristi Lambert like this.
  2. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Thanks !

seanb4 likes this.
  3. PaulG

PaulG New Member

Hi Sean

I think what you are trying to achieve is fantastic (A Kruse-Community cloud based custom glossary...which I have wanted for a long time) so thanks so much for working on this.

but perhaps implementation is not quite where it should be yet! :).
    • How do you for example stop people entering in misleading or inaccurate definitions?
    • I cannot find a way of editing definitions once entered.
    • People are at different levels of understanding, so you may end up with a page full of green text
    • The popup window is basic and cannot support other links/videos etc.
    • Does not readily support collaboration over defining terms that are mutually understandable in plain english etc.
    As an alternative, I took a look at similar extension and installed one called Inline Search & Lookup that allows searching of terms from dictionaries and encyclopedia's. Ideally I think Glossary terms should be defined in the wiki that @yewwei.tan set up (using a glossary filter). I would prefer the extension to be able to select multiple search engines as opposed to one and return results for each source. Eg. from JK wiki, then wikipedia or allow user to choose search engine using right click mouse context menu. Have emailed the developer about this.

..my email and reply from developer
    Hi, thanks for your excellent extension

I think it would be a good feature to select instead of one active search source, top n. For example if you select Dictionary.com, wikidictionary and wikipedia then in the search results box you get to see the results of all three perhaps in collapsable/expandable groups. Alternatively or in addition put the top n search engines into right click menu and you can select the one you want to use.

Hope that makes sense

Hi Paul,

I'm glad the extension has been useful for you, but I have stopped maintaining it 4 years ago now, so I'm afraid no new features or even fixes are planned. That said, the source code is public

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    seanb4 likes this.
  4. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Some cool idea's in there, thanks Paul.

Anyway I love the idea of a community based dictionary but would be unsure how to implement it, in part, due to reasons you stated. However this extension is currently just for personal use. So you have to type in each definition you want and it's only visible on your browser. Kind of a ball ache but side steps some issues with the community based one.

To edit the definition simply enter the word in again and the new definition. More advice is in the help button.

As for the popup, yea it's basic as fuck but I have just finished updating it a bit, should go live in an hour, check it out.

You can add links but you would have to put in your own html inside the description. (for example: blah blaaah blaa emfs! blah blah <a href="http://www.emfsarebad.com"> link </a>

5. PaulG

PaulG New Member

6. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

UPDATE VERSION 1.1.0:

-Highlighted words now have the same case as in the original document.
    -On hover function is added
    -Users can toggle between click and hover
    -List to view all current words in dictionary
    -Option to turn extension on or off
    -Second help button added

7. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Yeah sorry for the confusion, I put 2 definitions in by default as an example.
    To delete or change them just enter the word in then leave definition black to delete or update it with your own.

Anyway it should update in an hour or 2.

8. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Actually it's updated now, just go to your extensions add press update now, or wait a while and chrome will do it automatically.

9. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

UPDATE VERSION 1.1.1:
    -Fixed bug where it wouldn't save data

sorry old version was broke!

10. PaulG

PaulG New Member

Have you tried the Google Chrome extension ezLinkPreview? or the Firefox CoolPreviews?

I set up ezLinkPreview with some custom searches (Wikipedia, Google, Blog, Forum, DuckDuckGo etc) and I find its quite useful when researching the blogs and forum posts.

ezLinkPreviewIcons.jpg

ezLinkPreview.jpg

Below is some sample URL search links

Wikipedia
    Wiki entry on Melatonin
    Jack Kruse
    Jack Kruse Blogs containing the word Melatonin
    Threads by Jack with Melatonin in the title
    Threads by Jack containing the word Melatonin
    Threads with Melatonin in the title
    Threads containing the term Melatonin
    Google
    Google Search
    Google Video Search
    Google Image Search
    Google News Search

seanb4 likes this.
  11. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Just took a look at cool previews now, it's real handy. I would like to incoperate something like the into mine. Maybe on right clicking a highlighted word thats not green it could have a find and update word option. This saves having to manually type each definition yourself which can be a hassel.
    The only problem then is automatically finding usable and useful definitions...
    I'm also guna probably add a feature where it automatically remembers where you left a page. So if you got half way through a blog post then had to leave, next time you load up it would scroll straight to where you left off.

12. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Okay updated again to fix a problem where if you added too many definitions it would run out of memory.