1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

My very first post after 3 years of lurking

Discussion in 'Meet and Greet' started by Rachel151, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Rachel151

Rachel151 Gold

Hi, everyone! My name is Rachel and I'm a 34 year old Mom just trying to know better so that I may do better.

I found Jack several years ago but fell away for a while. His first three blog posts were enough to keep me busy for years!

Nearly four years ago, I had my first child (Jack) while simultaneously finishing up graduate school to become a Nurse Practitioner. Talk about stress... Since that time, I had a miscarriage, figured out I had mold toxicity, moved to the country (thank you husband, who moved us somewhere safer without even realizing it), and had my second child (sweet rainbow baby - a girl we named Ellie Grace). Somewhere in the mix, I started training to be certified in functional medicine while I keep working in primary care.

I live on 10 acres outside of Richmond, Virginia, and it is quite lovely and bucolic. Working on mitigating that environment but that shouldn't be too hard.

Work is totally in an EMF soup, as we are on the same campus as a large hospital and many other practices. 60 employees in my building with cell phones, multiple Wifi, and tons of light. I try to get out and walk during lunch and get some sunshine, but it doesn't help that the grounds crew sprays chemicals all over the campus. Still, something is better than nothing.

I'm trying to do the best I can... moving out of that moldy house definitely helped me. Now, I'm working to keep my family safe. I had NO idea until about a month ago that the video monitor was basically like me putting a cell phone beside my child each night. Knowing better, I'm doing better. I've switched to the old school audio monitor.

MY PRIMARY GOAL IS TO HELP MY 5 MONTH OLD WHO HAS EVIDENCE OF LEAKY GUT AND ECZEMA AND TO GET MY BODY READY IN CASE WE DECIDE TO HAVE A 3RD CHILD.

Five months ago, I eliminated gluten (and almost all grains), dairy, soy, corn, peanuts, sugar, and even eggs and tree nuts because she reacted to them. I emphasize tons of pastured meats, organ meats, seafood, fermented foods, and lots of veggies. Usually 1-2 servings of fruit daily.

Some goals:
    1. Switch the three dimmer switches in our house to regular light switches.
    2. Salt lamps, candles, and incandescents for our few nighttime lights.
    3. Wifi is turned off at night but I don't always remember. Work towards that. I put my phone on airplane mode constantly. Want to get a REAL alarm clock so I don't have to rely on phone on airplane mode.
    4. Increase our seafood intake.
    5. Work to get more sunshine. I have started stripping down the kiddos and myself and sunning on our days off. (I work Mon, Tue, Thu, and Fri - so we can get outside Wed, Sat, and Sun.).

These are my first round of goals... winter will be hard. I'm going to have to get creative.

I am very blessed that the nature of my job and my lifestyle and beliefs are all in concordance. To a degree... I am in a regular family practice setting with one functional medicine doc and the rest conventional, but he's in my corner, and together, we can be "weird" with the patients.

I'm starting with downloading and listening webinars and printing off the blog posts to read later.

caroline likes this.
  2. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Welcome.
    If you would like to get a head start put the Vermont 2016/17 and 18 videos on your "view next" list, if you have not seen them already that is.

mrc and caroline like this.
  3. Rachel151

Rachel151 Gold

I haven’t seen them yet! Thanks for the recommendations. I’m open to any and all recommendations. I keep seeing those webinars pop op. I will download ASAP and watch during my pumping breaks. Haha! That’s relaxing, right?

How do I stay off the internet and minimize my blue light when I want to learn all the things?!

4. Charyam

Charyam New Member

How do I stay off the internet and minimize my blue light when I want to learn all the things?

Hello, to help you on your way...
    I've converted over 80 Dr Jack Kruse talks and videos and podcasts to MP3. This is a link to them in Google Drive. They are downloadable and I think they can be played straight out of Google. Please have a look at the 'Read Me Dr JK.docx it may answer some questions. Let me know if you come across a talk which is hidden away in the depths of the internet, they do appear now and again as Google likes to play with us.☀️
    (I'm going to split them into 3 minute segments so that when the mind wanders, it's easy to hit 'previous track'

https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...9Q9extY2dMHxlDmWgzc1UMp5NImUdYUbWxrenwjKj1ARc

5. Rachel151

Rachel151 Gold

I can't find those talks on my dashboard. I have the gold membership. I thought that was included?

6. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Rachel,true if you are gold you should have them. Vermont 2016 and 17 are free and are on YouTube. 2018 was pay access only and I have no idea how you find it. Ask in the Gold FB group.

7. caroline

caroline Moderator

do you have blue blockers? An EMF meter?

Check very carefully, with a meter, where your 5month old sleeps. What is behind her walls? above the ceiling? below the floor?

Do you have a smart meter? do your neighbours?

Does your baby get lots of sun everyday?

Also watch Jack and Jeremy's you tube thing - it should be on your dash board too.

Please give Jack more health info .....also your Mom's and Gran's.

another baby?

Welcome Rachel!

mrc likes this.
  8. caroline

caroline Moderator

Also - are you near an airport? army base? etc? Altho you think your area is very bucolic .....it probably isn't.

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Why sunglasses on a profile pic here.

I'm just stunned at the choice.

10. Rachel151

Rachel151 Gold

I'm going to make an optimal journal so I can put all history, labs, etc.. there! That makes most sense to me.

I need to check about smart meters. I don't think we have one. I am going to get an EMF meter. Brand suggestions? I'm thinking $150-175 is the going rate for a quality meter.

I work four days a week so I'd say she gets sun 3 days/week. We have to leave the house by 715 AM and sunrise currently is 720 and I don't get home until close to 6 PM.. so on days I work, she's not getting hardly any sunshine. This has been giving me a ton of anxiety but I'm not sure what I can do to change this right now. My husband keeps her home an additional day, so she is home 4 days/week. Son is in preschool and they have them outside for about 2 hours total/day when I'm working.

I'll have my journal done today. Back to work - pumping break is over! :)

Nearest airport - 25 miles away. Nearest base is about 35 miles away.

But there are some power lines half a mile away.. I remember thinking with my limited knowledge that they were "far enough away" a year ago when we moved. I need to get this damn EMF meter.

11. Rachel151

Rachel151 Gold

Hahaha. This picture is about 3 years old - before I woke up. I can update it though. It's so funny because I've stopped wearing sunglasses now for the most part and over the past few weeks, I do have a lot less squinting when it's bright outside. I was mostly just looking for a clear picture of my face.

My son (who I'm sure I completely f*cked with his genetic hand - thank goodness for epigenetics) has a coloboma in his left eye. He was conceived and raised for a few years in this moldy house. He complains about things being "too bright" frequently. He always asks for sunglasses. :( Optho said that could be from his eye.

mrc and caroline like this.
  12. Rachel151

Rachel151 Gold

I just posted my optimal journal!

caroline likes this.
  13. caroline

caroline Moderator

where is your baby when you are working?

14. Saichi

Saichi New Member

How old is old school to you? If it's digital then there's high RF from it too.

15. Rachel151

Rachel151 Gold

At a church daycare. She goes 3 days/week. So does Jack but he’s in preschool somewhere else. And he goes 4 days/week.

16. Rachel151

Rachel151 Gold

Oh shit. I thought it wasn’t digital. I thought it was analog. Forehead smacking. So much to learn! I will work to keep doors open at night and only use the digital audio monitor when I’m outside and she’s napping until I can replace it with a safer option. And I’ll be selling that expensive video one ASAP.

17. caroline

caroline Moderator

do they take the kids outside at all????

18. Rachel151

Rachel151 Gold

Jack is outside for an hour in the morning and hour in the afternoon. Ellie is in the first infant classroom and no, they don’t take them outside at all! Not until she’s 6-7 months and goes to the next room - then they stroll them around for like 15 minutes once or twice a day. Ridiculous. But only just realizing how bad in the past few weeks.

19. caroline

caroline Moderator

can you alter your work hours and be home for a few extra hours in the morning and get your kiddos outside?

Jack altered his surgery schedule years ago ......

20. Rachel151

Rachel151 Gold

I’ve considered this. I think that I will look into alternative childcare options and see if we can get an in-home nanny for her on the days Paul works. Jack gets outside so I’m not as concerned with him.

Most patients really want 8 AM appointments so for me, I will be forced to go hourly and part-time if I change work schedule. And right now financially, I can’t swing it. It’s 1/3 of my income gone - I’ve already looked into it.

I’m going to try and adjust other variables first.

My goal in 2 years is to go part-time and come in at 9 AM. But I HAVE to pay off these student loans first.