1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

My Oil Pulling N=1

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by AKMan, May 22, 2012.

1. And ReadyIce, my deep ct baths are costing me about $30 a week!

2. Just put a big lump of co in mouth. This is grosser than I thought.

[​IMG]

Next time I may melt first.

seanb4 likes this.
  3. AKMan

AKMan New Member

That picture will come back to haunt you!

4. And you!, Too

5. MJ*

MJ* New Member

I am honestly laughing out loud, tears...

6. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Why thanks...further on my list, but on it, is to have my old amalgams removed...I've also been reading a little about people brushing with magnesium oil, it's supposed to reverse cavaties!!! I wonder if you could combine those mg oil and sesame oil?

7. My BF brushed with mag oil and baking soda. A couple sprays of mag oil, brush, brush, brush, then add some baking soda to the toothbrush, brush, brush, brush, then rinse. All this of course after flossing. I couldn't do the mag oil. I'm not that picky with food but DANG I could not handle the taste of that mag oil in my mouth! The BF is now just brushing with baking soda and we are both going to try the oil pulling with CO. I can't use sesame due to a gluten cross reaction. I love the taste and really wish I could use it. He just had his 6 mo check up and nothing really got better in his mouth but he is not prone to cavities either (like 3 in his entire life). Thus now the experiment w/ CO!!

8. MJ*

MJ* New Member

haha OMG I know it's pretty heinous...I have the gel form though so I'm looking to get the oil when that runs out...let us know how the CO goes, Cavemam seems to be enjoying it! :D I think melt it first...

9. OH yah, I got the melt it message loud and clear from that photo!!!!

We make our own oil from the flakes. Bought the big bag from Ancient Minerals and just fill a bottle with the flakes then add water. Over time it dissolves. Keep adding more flakes until they stop dissolving. Now your water/oil is totally saturated with mag and way more potent than the stuff you can purchase. Less expensive too!

10. MJ*

MJ* New Member

That's clever! Good idea...

11. JC2K

JC2K New Member

My recollection is it originated in India and the traditional oil is sesame oil. It's a popular oil in India, used for a lot of misc other things. My personal theory is it's a similar situation to Ghee. Ghee and Sesame Oil last a long time in the India heat before going rancid (big when you don't have refrigeration). Sunflower oil is also mentioned, but I don't know if it is as traditional as sesame because it goes rancid fast in heat. Seems to have similar effects though, which brings up the question as to whether or not it is the oil, or just the action of swishing something for 20 minutes with a fairly clean substance (so you could possibly use any oil, like olive or coconut, etc).

12. Think toasted sesame oil works? I've got some of that.

13. AKMan

AKMan New Member

It will depend on if you like the taste. The one I use has '100% pure sesame oil' as the only ingredient, but it tastes kind of toasted. I think that is the taste they want it to have. My bottle doesn't say toasted anywhere. I'd say as long as it doesn't have any weird ingredients and you like the taste it will be fine.

14. AmyK

AmyK New Member

I feel the taste of the toasted variety may be too strong...maybe like burnt oil. A little as a seasoning, great....a mouthful?? I wouldn't want it.

15. I guess the real question is does the oil matter. . . I'll probably do the CO for a day or so until I get the sesame oil in. I thought I read someone that CO was good too. . but I'm not going to buck tradition.

16. Jim

Jim New Member

You are a brave woman for posting that pic!

Step 1. DON'T look at it silly!!

Step 2. DON'T worry it will melt in your mouth!!

Step 3. DON'T spit it down the sink or you will clog your pipes!! Spit it into the trash.

I am not sure about the sesame vs CO thing. I first heard of this from a Jimmy Moore podcast with Dr Fife and he was all about CO so that is what I use. I suppose either is fine.

17. youthfuliz

youthfuliz New Member

Very interesting! I'll start tomorrow, when I cook my BAB!

18. JC2K

JC2K New Member

I don't think anyone really knows for sure. Or rather, you don't hear about the ones that failed (mouthful of motor oil anyone? :) ), only the ones that succeeded.

19. N~Doro

N~Doro Silver

For as much anecdotal evidence as you could want about as many different kinds of oil as you can think of

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/oil_pulling.html

My experience: quitting grains made the biggest improvement to my teeth and gums. I did start oil pulling a few months into the paleo thing. It definitely made my teeth whiter as well as continuing the improvement to sensitive teeth and a few 4 or 5 depth pockets. The last time I went to the dentist for a cleaning I could tell they were trying to come up with something to do to fill twenty minutes. It used to take close to an hour to scrape the plaque. The hygienist waited for the dentist to leave then asked me in detail what I was doing and where to read more about it. Said she loved the color of my teeth and couldn't believe I never had them whitened.

I used to hate to floss because my gums always bled, but now it feels great. My whole mouth seems so much healthier.

I use sesame oil sometimes, but mostly CO for the antibacterial/anti-fungal properties. I have read that if you use olive oil for too long it can turn your teeth GREEN. I can just picture cavemam now...

seanb4 likes this.
  20. AKMan

AKMan New Member

Wow! Awesome resource. Here is an excerpt from the site:

"06/12/2009: Sandy from Bangalore, India: "Dear Earthclinic,

Based on all feedback received for oil pulling so far (as seen on your oil pulling pages), I have created the following list of cures by oil-pulling using various oils:

1. Sesame Oil:

Cleared vaginal infections, got rid of tooth/gum/mouth/bad-breath problems, tightened loose teeth, heart felt better, depression replaced by happy thoughts, better vision (eg. Colors become vivid), no underarm odor, reduces cravings and helps de-addiction, alertness increased, pimples decreased, cured Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJD, TMJ or TMD), moisturized skin, healed dry/cracked heels, hair grew back on bald spot on head, sinuses cleared, did not catch colds/flu, brought color to cheeks/complexion looks healthier, cured the keratosis pilaris on upper arms, more energetic, didn't get allergies, looked 10 years younger, open pores on face closed, wrinkles disappeared, swollen glands under neck became normal for HIV+ person, anaemia cured within 1 month, lipase enzyme levels brought back to normal within 1 month, bloating/edema gone, decreased fibromyalgia pain, got deep sleep/ insomnia cured, dark circle around eyes decreased, cured hangover after alcohol consumption, digestion improved, back pain decreased, neck pain decreased, joint pain decreased, hives cured in 2 weeks, periods was not painful, no cramping during periods, experienced colon cleansing, eczema disappeared, skin glowed, stopped a headache, faded age spots, healed canker sores, subsided PMS, eliminated asthama, lost weight, cured diarrhea.

2. Sunflower oil

Got rid of tooth/gum/mouth/bad-breath problems, teeth whiter and sensitive condition corrected, sinus cleared, cured toothache, blood cholesterol profile got balanced when oil-pulled first thing in the morning, postmenopausal hot flushes decreased, wake up refreshed, hair grew thicker, think clearly, swollen lymph nodes reduced, energy increased (many people said), reduced dependence on caffeine-oil pulling gave a huge energy rush-oil pulling twice a day eliminated 2 cups of coffee from that day, blood circulation improved, cold hands and feet became warmer, cravings decreased, skin looks great, eliminates dry eyes, clears out sugar from body faster, pulmonary fibrosis cured, cancer cured, stopped vaginal discharge, clearer breathing, better sleep, lungs not congested anymore, coughing eliminated, herpes simplex virus eliminated from body, cold sores and canker sores healed, cleared allergies, hangover (due to alcohol) eliminated, lost weight especially around lower abdomen, lost 4 pounds in 20 days by oil pulling twice a day, gave sound sleep, body aches and strains gone, fatigue gone, irregular periods became regular, ear itch gone, clearer eyes and clearer vision, indigestion problems and gases eliminated, cracked heels healed, dark circle under eyes eliminated.

3. Olive Oil

Better mouth health, jaw pain gone, sinus cleared, finger nails grew fast and had white tips, hair grew fast and is thick, better energy, better mental clarity, mood elevation (many people said this), cracked heels got healed, softer hair, softer skin, no wheezing or coughing, eyes stopped feeling itchy or dry, beard got thicker and softer, de-addicted from tobacco, alcohol, caffeine (many people talked of de-addiction), back pain reduced, cleared nasal and ear blockage, lost weight doing oil-pulling using extra virgin olive oil, pores on face became small, no undereye puffiness, better vision, lines around eyes smoothened out, brain fog cured.

4. Coconut oil

Appetite suppressed and lost weight (many people said this), relaxing, pain in nerve decreased, joint pain gone, breathing easier, snoring gone, bloating/oedema gone in just 6 days, blood pressure stabilized, got rid of tooth/gum/mouth/bad-breath problems, gap between teeth closed, sinus cleared, heightened sense of taste, cleared inner ear infection, got rid of rocking/imbalance sensation, skin glowed and moisterized, increased energy, increased mobility, agility and vigour.

5. Cod liver oil

Got rid of teeth problems, better skin

6. Avocado oil

Makes hair healthy and shiny, bags under eyes flattened, sinus cleared

7. Cedar nut oil

Whiter teeth

8. Canola oil

Better mouth health

9. Walnut oil

Got rid of gum problems

10. Castor oil

Induces sleep

11. Black cumin seed oil

Drained mucus

12. Safflower oil

Pulling sensation in arm gone, Got rid of tooth/gum/mouth/bad-breath problems, lost weight, energetic and active, Rheumatoid Arthritis cured, chocolate addiction gone, hair and skin looks good, scar gone, periods improved, PMS gone, voice improved, got good sleep, hair shedding decreased."

MisterT likes this.