1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

My Oil Pulling N=1

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by AKMan, May 22, 2012.

1. AKMan

AKMan New Member

I've mentioned Oil Pulling a few times, even 'asked Jack'. He said he likes it. Well here's the deal, and my 6 month N=1.

Oil Pulling as explained in this study http://www.jisppd.com/article.asp?issn=0970-4388;year=2008;volume=26;issue=1;spage=12;epage=17;aulast=Asokan

"Oil pulling has been used extensively for many years, without scientific evidence or proof, as a traditional Indian folk remedy to prevent teeth decay, oral malodor, bleeding gums, dryness of throat and cracked lips, and for strengthening the teeth, gums, and jaws."

It is often touted as a cure, or detox, for many medical conditions--but not proven. This study examined it's effect on dental health, and that is where I focused my N=1.

From this study: "The mechanism by which oil pulling therapy causes plaque inhibition and reduction in S. mutans is not known. The viscosity of the oil could probably inhibit bacterial adhesion and plaque coaggregation. Other possible mechanism might be the saponification or the 'soap-making' process that occurs as a result of alkali hydrolysis of fat. [21] Sesame oil is a vegetable fat and when acted upon by salivary alkalis like bicarbonate, the soap making process is initiated. Soaps are good cleansing agents because they are effective emulsifiers. Emulsification is the process by which insoluble fats like sesame oil can be broken down into minute droplets and dispersed in water. Emulsification greatly enhances the surface area of the oil, thereby increasing its cleansing action."

My experiment:

I get a dental cleaning every 6 months, have had 2-3 cavities in the past 20 years, and I have one crown on a tooth that cracked. I have about 10 'old-school' fillings.

My hygenist always says I need to brush and floss better and have lots of gingivitis/caries. My Dentist says my receding gums will cause problems one day. I have numerous sensitive teeth.

For the past 6 months, I have practiced daily oil pulling. I use about 1 tsp of pure sesame oil. I put it in my mouth and 'swish' it around for 15-20 minutes. It's very relaxing and a good time for self-reflection and mindfulness as you cannot speak during this time. After the time is up, I spit it in the sink and immediately brush without toothpaste.

Today I had my 6 month dental appointment. The hygenist was amazed that there was not plaque buildup and the cleaning took about 1/3 of the time it normally does. At my last visit, they noted in my records I had 11 pockets greater than 5 mm. The deepest was 9 mm. I had 5 more borderline pockets of 4 mm. The goal is under 3 mm.

After 6 months of oil pulling, I now have only 1 pocket deeper than 3 mm. The 9mm pocket is now 4mm. All of the rest were 1's and 2's. This may not mean much to you right now--but it is significant!

The dentist was shocked and said my teeth, gums, and mouth were one of the healthiest he's ever seen. We talked at length about oil pulling. I sent him the study linked above. He wants to talk more after he's read it.

I think that oil pulling also activates leptin receptors and helps in other ways unrelated to oral hygeine, but oral hygeine is just about as important as gut health in the grand scheme.

Hope you find this interesting.

MisterT, Eric Waldron and seanb4 like this.
  2. LinD

LinD New Member

Interesting, indeed!

Glad this worked for you.

3. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Wow, great stuff, AKMan. And totally helpful to me... I've been wondering about starting this. Thanks for posting!

4. tweety

tweety New Member

Can you not oil pull with coconut oil as well? I think I may have to give this more thought...

5. I've heard some people are pulling with CO. I would love to know because I thought of doing this as well. I have problems with sesame so I think that is probably not a good oil for me. Anyone, will coconut oil work the same?

6. Jim

Jim New Member

I use coconut oil myself however I am not as fastidious as AKMan. I do believe that it is very effective and I am inspired to do it more regularly.

7. AKMan

AKMan New Member

Everything I've read says use sesame oil or sunflower oil. Not sure why. CO seems like a great oil to try. You spit it out in the end, so if you are worried about PUFAs from sesame oil, it's not an issue, I believe.

From the study linked above: "Oil pulling therapy can be done using edible oils like sunflower or sesame oil. Sesame oil is derived from the plant Sesamum indicum , which is considered the queen of the oil seed crops because of its many beneficial effects. [3] "

and

"Sesame oil has three lignans: sesamin, sesamolin, and sesaminol; they have antioxidant properties and they also potentiate vitamin E action. Sesame oil has high amounts of polyunsaturated fatty acids; and lipid peroxidation is reduced, thereby reducing free radical injury to the oral tissues"

8. dkenward@yahoo.com

dkenward@yahoo.com New Member

Hi AKMan,

How did you time your oil pulling sessions in relation to your meals? Before, after, any time at all?

9. PaleoCowgirl

PaleoCowgirl New Member

I've been oil pulling with CO since the end of last year, after I noticed I had coffee stains building up on the insides of my teeth. It took awhile, but they are finally starting to chip away. I usually pop it in after I wake up, swishing while I prep my BAB.

10. MightyAl

MightyAl New Member

I have had great success with eliminating plaque build up by supplementing with fermented cod liver oil and high vitamin butter oil. I have been brushing and flossing less often and have far less plaque. I am waiting for my next cleaning to see how things are going. I also had some 4mm-5mm gaps that I am curious to see if they improved. I know brushing and flossing didn't help.

I have been tossing around the idea of oil pulling coupled with the supplementation. I think I might try it and see if I achieve super tooth health.

11. David

David Silver

12. tweety

tweety New Member

Well thanks AKMan for the inspiration. My husband is interested too- he, and I, and our kids are now trying this regimen- with coconut oil. I had looked into it a while ago but forgot to implement. So now we'll give it a try!

13. Thanks Akman! So helpful. I guess I'm in the same boat, I've been thinking of doing it - but in the back of my mind it was relegated to "ridiculous **** hippies do". Looks like I might be a hippie, cause after your post, I think I'm going to start!

14. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

As someone mentioned before, oil pulling is a great way to pass CT time in the tub.

15. AKMan

AKMan New Member

I get home from work 30 minutes before my wife. As soon as I walk in the door, I take a swig of sesame oil right out of the bottle. As I'm doing my 'get home chores' I swish the oil around my mouth. When I see my wife pull up in the driveway, I spit it out and brush with water. We eat dinner about an hour later.

I think doing this before dinner (or BAB, lunch) has the added benefit of signaling your mouth's leptin receptors that you are eating and it preps your digestive system for the meal. That's just my half-thought-out theory, but I'd bet it's doing something with your leptin sensors in the mouth.

For people who wish to try it. I get my sesame oil in the Asian section at Safeway. I use the Dynasty brand because it is 100% pure sesame oil. They also have blends with canola and soybean oil--I don't use those. For your first time, just use a tiny bit, like half a teaspoon. It will 'grow' as you swish it because it mixes with your spit. It is this mixing, or emulsifying, that is supposed to be the real magic behind it's effectiveness. I will have to try CO and see if it emulsifies the same as sesame oil.

I don't find the taste bad at all, kind of like it actually. Just make sure you don't try to talk with a mouthful of oil, it will ruin your shirt!

16. AKMan

AKMan New Member

YES! I have done this, too! The timing is about right as well. Plus, having the oil in your mouth is a great way to make sure you keep your breathing and school-girl screams under control. (OK, so maybe I don't scream like a school-girl, but stepping into cold water makes me want to!).

17. AKMan

AKMan New Member

I have another study on oil pulling, a triple-blind, 20 subject random control type study. It's on pdf and too big to attach, and I don't have a link. If anyone wants to see it, PM me and I'll email it to you. Here is the conclusion of this study:

"Within the limits of the present study, it can be concluded that

Oil Pulling has the ability to reduce plaque and gingivitis. It

emerges from this study that an individual is able to maintain

low levels of plaque and gingivitis even if he is performing

Oil Pulling, just for 45 days.

This study is just the tip of an iceberg and we recommend that

further longitudinal studies with larger sample size should be

conducted. Research comparing the use of different types of

oils for the Oil Pulling procedure, and their effect on oral

hygiene are needed. Also microbiological analysis of saliva

and plaque if considered will add more internal validity to

such studies. Further, studies comparing the effect of various

commonly prescribed mouthwashes and Oil Pulling on the oral

hygiene are warranted."

They also talk about other oils:

"Though refined sunflower oil has been used in the present study, there has been mention of other oils like sesame oil, groundnut

oil, olive oil, mustard oil etc. Liquids from water and milk to extracts of gooseberries have been used for Oil Pulling. Some

oils are more palatable than others in their raw state. Hence the author after trying various types of oils, came to a

conclusion to use the most palatable, the refined sunflower oil for this study."

18. AKMan

AKMan New Member

The only drawback I can see to widespread use is compliance. Not everybody has a 20 minute period every day they can do this. I'd also love to see a trial on a 'minimum effect dose', maybe you only need 5 minutes a day or only need to do it once a week to be effective. The literature I read all says 10-20 minutes every day. The studies all show significant results after 30-45 days.

Another reason this will never go mainstream is there is no money in it for anyone. It's so simple and cheap it's only being studied in 3rd world countries where they can't afford mouthwash and toothpaste--shame really! But CT is kind of in the same boat, no money for the big drug companies, maybe Rubbermaid, but not Monsanto.

19. MJ*

MJ* New Member

This is great, I love ideas for healthy gums...I'm a floss freak...when you first started did you build up to 15-20 minutes, I feel like I'd get an urge to want to spit it out sooner?

20. AKMan

AKMan New Member

It takes some getting used to, for sure! You better take care of your teeth--I'd hate to see that beautiful smile go away!