1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

My little mito-hack and awesome adventure.

Discussion in 'Biohacking 101' started by Simon Wright, Feb 7, 2017.

1. dop his woman and child.jpg lady with baby.jpg taomasio and his bub.jpg Old boy and young kid.jpg me with girls in house.jpg HI All

As I said in my earlier post I have just got back from Papua. This enriched my soul and expanded my mind. I will duly explain my trip in segments and you are welcome to ask me questions but I will not be able to answer them quickly as I only usually reserve time for seriously looking at the forum from Fridays to Sunday only (I have a business to run).

So anyway I, as we all have, been learning a lot over the past while from Jack and I am fortunate to live in Indonesia which has many places which are not yet ‘civilized’ to the point that many Western nations are……this very point is why I am very happy here. Aso its great for an adventure.

Last year I got mugged and bashed (no dramatics or ‘so sorry’s’ needed thx) and after replacing 35% of my humerus head from my hip I was told by my surgeon I probably wouldn’t be able to surf to the same capacity again and could probably only swim lightly…..this is like someone taking away the most treasured pursuit of your life. So anyway after religiously employing many if not all of the principles that Jack has laid out in his blogs I was able to surf a 10 ft outer reef bomby last year in May (2016 ) which astounded my surgeon, and also I have to say myself as well. In short….’this shit works!’

Anyway, after reading the libraries of Jacks writings (huge thanks to you kind sir) and all his suggested readings, I assessed my environment and made changes where I could to the best of my accumulated knowledge. However the one thing that would make me chuckle is all we really are doing is trying to hack/emulate nature….and this in my mind is impossible to do completely. So I thought….go get amongst it and see what happens. But go the most purist form of nature you can find. No nnEMF, good water, no modern living, no sythesized no natural products etc etc

Papua became my destination as I have been told by many friends how remote it is.

With myself living in a tourist island (Bali) I abhor being a tourist, so I spoke with many many people and finally decided on a short list of where to go. I ended up going with this one guy and we went to a place he himself had only been a couple times before. (rather than me exploit this place….i will leave it up to your own endeavour to map out your own journey).

He thought my main purpose of the trek was to visit these village people…….but in truth I wanted to do a mito-reset and see the results. To achieve this I wanted to get into nature in its purist form.

Anyway after 4 airplane flights, a pick up/utility drive, a day and a half in a small boat (getting roasted by the sun) going up a flooded river dodging logs and then 3 days solid hiking (8-10hrs a day) we came across the first tribal people.

These are people with:

No money

No clothes

No electricity

No non natural lights outside of a wood fire

No modern manufactured/sythetic products of any kind (none)

All that they had was made from the resources that they had in the surrounding jungle.

They had 98% of their bodies exposed to the elements (the women wore twisted/twined bark skirts). They walked barefoot. They slept on the ground or in a tree on bark or palm leaves. They rose before sunrise and were asleep not long after sunset. They rested as a family, they worked as a family. Everything that was bought into the kampung (village) was divided equally ie there were no possessions (outside of the bows, arrows and spears of the men). When guests/people from outside of the village entered (such as us), food was equally shared with them as well. There were no windows in their houses.. All foods were eaten on the day they were gathered or caught .Generally one thing was eaten at one time ie a meal of red fruit …or a meal of wild pig….or a meal of inside of a palm

Noone complained of bad eyesight. No one complained of sore backs or sore knees. The oldest man there only said that he didn’t hunt large animals anymore because he wasnt quick enough….yet he was still able to climb the thin pole ladder into th ehouse. The only medical condition I saw was a large ulceration from an old abrasion on a mans wrist which I treated. No one was obese or fat. Everyone was extremely nimble and light footed ( I will expand on this later). Everyone was very strong.

Every one was extremely meek and soft in their approach and touched you and held 100% eye contact with your when they spoke with you.

Now compare this to your life?....I did with mine and was pretty shocked.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  2. Inger

Inger Silver

wow..... I want to learn more about these wonderful people

3. JanSz

JanSz Gold

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. 1 House.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg 6.jpg People in the house.jpg The people.

As mentioned in my earlier post the people lived in ‘kampungs’ or small villages usually comprising of two men and three or four women. They are short people with the tallest I met being Tomasio at about 5’10”.

They live in tree houses. This house utilizes the existing trunk and root system of the tree to act as a foundation for the house, long wood sticks then make up a platform and these are supported by long poles. Old food is just dropped to the bottom and this is duly scavenged by a domesticated wild pig or dog on the ground. This pig is later eaten when its big enough.

They live in the tree houses for a variety of reasons. The first being to protect their women and second for general security. The women are defended strongly. Anyone trying to climb into the house can be shot by a bow and arrow or hit with a spear. Another reason it to get away from the animals and bugs.

They change the location of these houses every 3-5 years to allow the surrounding areas to regnerate ie they are semi nomadic.

The area around the house is cleared and whilst people think there is a mass of felled trees and timber which hamper ease of access….these are actually walk ways which facilitate access to different areas. Within this felled area is their ‘kebun’ or garden, within which they grow several leaves and ferns for eating and also a lot of ‘buah merah’ or red fruit (Pandanus conoideus) which is pretty tasty.

They kept out of the midday sun mostly and were busy in the mornings and afternoons

The houses have no windows and they are exposed to all frequencies of light all day (due to non polarization of light)

Meal times were not set i(no time pieces) t was generally when the food had been gathered together. Mostly this was about 8-9am with sunrise at 6ish and then again at 4-6pm.

Their diet was an array of ferns, leaves, a lot of different bugs and grubs, casuary (large bird like an emu), other small birds, freshwater fish, pigs and most importantly sago.

Sago is a tree pulp which is pounded and made into a pulp and then is stored for long periods. It is then bakd on hot stones or rwapped in leaf packages and roasted. It s pretty tasty.

The men were very muscular and carried no body fat. The younger men were pretty impressive and even the older men still retained there muscular structure and all had great postures

The women carried a layer of fat but this was not ‘cellulite’ but was just a healthy layer (no six packs for the girls with lithe skinny legs).

Teeth on everyone were immaculate….white and evenly placed , an obvious sign of good nutrition.

To note there were no chairs or sitting appliances. People squatted or sat crosslegged.

Sleeping was done on laid out bark or leaves.

Washing was quite regular as there was abundant streams at every kampung. This was done with no soap, only water.

When hunting with these people and also gathering food I didn’t see them over exert themselves…..whilst they definitely moved assertively I never saw anyone sprint or overly tire themselves out. I reflected on some of the exercise routines we punish ourselves with and wondered what stress this does to us in this effort to ‘do good’?

5. 12.jpg 12.jpg la bulo 1.jpg jemool.jpg 4.jpg gronis 5.jpg la bulo 1.jpg jemool.jpg 4.jpg gronis 5.jpg Food that I ate were inside of palms which look like a big white stick, the red fruit (which was really tasty, Sago, the sago worm and also another worm (pupa) that lived in there as well, jungle apples called La Bula , assorted ferns and fish. We didnt catch any pigs or casuaries.

6. I will write a bit more and esplain my realisations in a while when i have more time.

7. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Thanks for sharing Simon. Fascinating.

Simon Wright and seanb4 like this.
  8. caroline

caroline Moderator

beautiful Simon - thank you

Simon Wright likes this.
  9. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

Simon, were they interested in you? the fact that you looked different and probably used equipment and tools they have never seen before... What language did they speak?

Simon Wright likes this.
  10. jenaf

jenaf Silver

So amazing!!! And fascinating!!!

11. Hi lohd2015

The women and children were immediately interested...the men held back for a day. I didnt bring out loads of gadgets and was only dressed in my undies or shorts with barefeet so was not looking like I just stepped out of a camping store.

I didnt take pics the first day and sat at he back of the group. I waited until one of the men came and spoke to me and then i asked if i could take pics....they said yes. They also said that other westerners had been thru about 2.5 years ago and they gave them money to do a 'ceremony'. I said no i didnt want this and if they wanted me to leave i would. They said no problem and invited me to make fish traps, hunt casuaries and bake red fruit..the rest of the time we hung out smoked tobacco, and slept (we all slept together). I wanted to just live with them and learn from them....not claim ceremonial pics for adulation later.

Language - I speak fluent Indonesian and the two men could speak a broken pidjin Indo and i progressivley learnt about 50 words of their language. There are hundreds of tribes in Papua and they each have their own language. With the mix of these two broken efforts of language and body language it was enough to get through.

12. PaulG

PaulG New Member

Simon and Jack , I would be interested in your thoughts on the health statistics for this country (which are not great) from this website.
    http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/world-health-review/new-guinea-vs-norway

Here is comparison with Norway. PNG has way more reds and No.1 IN THE WORLD for deaths by Asthma, Oral Cancer and Upper Respiratory disease. No. 6 for Diabetes!

Papua New Guinea vs Norway Top 50 Causes of Death World Ranking.png

13. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

Thank you Simon. As you spend time living and bonding with them, do you feel attached to this way of living? Can you forget civilization and just go native there? I am sure your body feels great there, but what about your mind? I can imagine the way of life is so different that the mind needs to do a complete readjustment. Hope you don't mind these questions.

14. Paul,
    With all due respect, I dont think you have understood what i have outlined.....these people are outside of all of this. They don't go and see doctors if they are sick, or partake in a 'national census' or even have any contact with the outide world 99.9% of the time. They live in nature, disconnected from this modern world.

Yes these stats would apply to urban "controlled" areas where people are 'registered and monitored'......but this does not apply to these areas.

15. lohd2015

I will cover this in another section a little later

lohd2015 likes this.
  16. PaulG

PaulG New Member

Yes, sorry didn't want to detract from what you are saying and the island is truly divided into two ways of life. Just wondering if you saw how 'westernised' PNG was in comparison to the tribal West.

New_guinea_named.PNG

17. I was in the western part Paul (2 colours of green ie Indonesian controlled) . There are tribes throughout the whole three regions (Green and Yellow) and as the access is very limited the contact is thus so as well.

The yellow side of PNG I did not go to and this cannot make comment.

In developed areas of the indonesian controlled side the health of people is generally not so great. In fact the general health status of indonesia as a whole is not so great but that is whole other discussion.

18. Richelle Jones

Richelle Jones Eve Mytokondrya

So what about you? How did you feel? How long did you stay?

19. Mystic Rose60

Mystic Rose60 Let the sun shine on you :))

This is so amazing and really touched my Spirit. I'm glad you were able to go and spend time with these beautiful people and they took you in! Thank you for sharing your experience with us and for all of the beautiful pictures!

20. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Paul's error should be a lesson for everybody here. It is the same error when people look at the Southeast US and health metrics and think the sun cant be good. Feb webinar 2017 is gonna be tied to this error in thinking.

Danny and digital like this.