1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

My lips were blue!!!

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by chrystin.comeau@live.com, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Is that bad? It certainly was a little off-putting, that's for sure! I've been doing CT for a month or so. coldest water was just below 50 degrees. That was to my belly button. The past two days the water has been slightly warmer (low 50's) but I've submerged to my neck. This morning when i got out after about twenty minutes, I looked in the mirror and my lips were blue!

2. Evo Mama

Evo Mama New Member

I've never experienced this. I would say take it slower. Perhaps others with more experience can jump in.

3. JC2K

JC2K New Member

Blue lips = moderate hypothermia. You'll want to take it slower. Less time if you're submerging the whole body.

4. villjamur_stevenson

villjamur_stevenson New Member

i've gotten blue lips from swimming in 80F water before. Not sure what the significance is.

5. I got blue lips when I was doing my scuba certification. The instructor wouldn't let anyone else go into the ocean (under 40 degree water) until my lips got some color in them. We waited over two hours. I was not the most popular gal that day!!! Funny thing is that I haven't seen them since that day about 20 years ago. My sis used to get them all the time going in any water.

Now sometimes doing CT some of my fingernails turn a little blue. Weird thing is that I don't even put my hands in the water!!!

6. Thanks. like I said, I've been doing this for a month or so. Colder water, even. But previously I had only submerged up to just under my breasts. This was my second time going up to my neck. I'm back to shivering, too, which Ia haven't had in a while. Also, my skin is much less red than it used to get on my legs. Now only my abdomen gets red. Even with the full submersion, I don't think my top half got red .....

7. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Back in my windsurfing/waterskiing days, I often got blue lips when I got really cold (lakes in Colorado don't get very warm in the summer). I'd have to sit in the car with the heater running full blast for 20 minutes to warm up. I never got blue lips skiing, even on frigid days, so I think it's the water immersion that so effectively reduces core body temperature. During CT, I would avoid staying in so long that your lips turn blue.

8. cjco,

I've experienced this a few times myself. I asked Dr. Kruse about this awhile back, and he said it happens to him sometimes, too, and that it is not harmful if you are otherwise well. Check your core temperature, though...if you have blue lips AND are dropping your core temp, then back off for sure. Personally, it doesn't take much for me to get blue lips...I check my temp, and if all is well, then I know I'm good. Also, be sure you are checking in on yourself regularly...check your skin color, feeling, etc...you may just be prone to having blue lips.

9. Thanks. I felt fine, other than being cold and shivering (which stopped but started again once I've started full submersion). Is an oral temp OK?

10. Yeah, oral temp is all I do. Believe me, I was freaked out the first time I walked in my bathroom from my pool and saw the blue lips/ghost face!!! But, I know from the past that even if I would eat ice cream or alot of ice, my lips would lose some color. If you are still worried, you can always have someone hang around while you CT. You feeling fine otherwise?

11. Oh, wait, you said you did feel fine. I should learn to read =)