1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

My journey/journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Christine_L, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Christine_L

Christine_L Gold Member

Hi all!
    Trying to cover enough with my entry and can add to this as time evolves. Let me know what you think. I know what I need to do in some cases from learning, listening, and observing all of you and gaining information and arsenal of hacks for optimal living! But very happy to keep on going and digging deeper into this.

Me
    -Female, 30s & dating, dark hair, very fair skin, always burned easy (though now have a nice tan & loving it!)
    - 5' 8" approx 175 lbs, would like to be around 155-160, never had an easy time losing weight
    -Jaundice at birth, was given the blue light treatment
    -Immune system flare-ups (red rash, bad joint swelling in hands/feet/knees/elbows) first at approx age 8 then again in 2000, 2005, 2010. Never able to find out what caused this but have been flare up free with reduced overall body inflammation and lifestyle changes. Not worried anymore about this.
    -Joint pain in knees / cracking from teens onto recently, however with changes this is a lot less!
    -Bad acne until mid 20's then cleared up after some diet changes & make up brand changes to Bare Minerals >> wearing almost no makeup now except to go out on special nights, only using jojoba oil moisturizer on face and on hair

Family
    -Family from Iberian Peninsula/Mediterranean (Italy/Spain/Puerto Rico/potentially Greece or Canary Islands - not sure)
    -Mother grew up in NJ, led a toxic free lifestyle, had me in late 30s. Always ate well and kept us healthy by constantly searching for info on leading a healthier life. Meaning no LED lights, no microwaves, getting enough aligned sleep, minimizing radiation exposure from computers, etc. She is on board with all changes herself. Very proud. She had hyper-thyroid, now hypo-thyroid and a bout with shingles a few years ago. During these times we were still outside the scope of the sun - the missing piece! - due to our light skin, believed we could get skin cancer, which her father had experienced. She also has almagan fillings. Needs to work on mobility & strength. Overall healthy. Longevity in her family, her grandmother lived well into her 90s.
    -Maternal Grandmother was born in Puerto Rico, not too sure of history besides a bout of Scarlet Fever in her teens, migraine headaches in 70s-80s, then short period of cellulitis in her late-80s. She was more active in her younger years and outside in the sunshine. In line with circadian rhythm and timing. Passed away late-80s shortly after my grandfather passed.

My story - why I'm here
    -Two years ago my father unexpectedly died from stroke (3rd stroke since 2011), this triggered my unending interest in making sure not to repeat his mistakes. I know he was operating without the knowledge he was outside the realm of nature (lots of staying up late, disconnection from the sun, wifi, etc.) I miss him a lot, dedicate my changes & guiding my family to him.
    -This propelled me to a year of (2017 - 2018) learning, lots of podcasts, testing protocols and changing as much as I can in order to be healthy and not see myself get sick too. Pieces fitting where they were supposed to go but did not yet see the big picture.

Anecdotal info
    -Current protocol is as of May 2018, previously was following bulletproof/keto diet from June 2017 - May 2018
    -For off days/weekend the focus is on getting as much sun as possible with minimizing inside time & phone/tech time, so far this is working well
    -CT cold showers (approx 3-4 times a week) as of June 2018
    -Will be following a mostly cyclical diet, reducing carbs & going keto in Nov-Feb/March
    -Normal labs during last lab work, love testing & data! >> will get a revised Vit D & HS-CRP after the summer
    -On my cell phone a lot for testing time & research but trying to keep it away/in a drawer most of the time
    -Phone has Twilight app since 2013, as of June 2018 on 100% 24/7
    -Started Crossfit in summer 2016, changed from going in the AM at 6:30a to now only going in afternoon at 5 or 6pm before sunset! This has helped with performance.
    -Biofeedback started in May 2018
    -Taking supplements as needed only - no more daily doses - Primal Hacker L Glutathione, New Chapter food multi-vitamin, Host Defense immune support mushroom complex, Collodial Silver or Oregano Oil if feeling sick

Current home environment
    -Residence is suburban NJ outside of NYC >> need a tropical vacations in winter or would consider moving
    -Home lighting is incandescent, with blue blocking Uvex glasses and wifi off at night time.
    -Re-worked Internet connection for coax cable use in downstairs area >> need to remove wifi completely
    -Drinking filtered water at home, san pellegrino or gerolsteiner

Current work/office >> major issue
    -Analytics at major electronics company, before this corporate at a hospital system (saw how sick people could get all the time, saw how the pieces fit but not fully)
    -EMF cubicle farm with heavy wifi, bad flourescent office lighting - already work from home 1x per week
    -Using wired keyboard/mouse with wifi off at my laptop
    -Lightly yellow tinted blue blocking glasses in office >> could do better here
    -Covering up my arms/chest during the day to avoid bad lighting >> haven't tested clothes but usually wearing a cotton sweater
    -Making sure to stay very hydrated in the office

Current daily schedule
    -Wake up 6:45-7a for sungazing with approx 25-30 mins of morning sun
    -Big breakfast/collagen protein, pastured eggs, or fish (sardines or salmon/tuna)/water throughout the day
    -Drive to work with windows open, using bluetooth connection if driving >> could do better here & would like to know where the bluetooth is stationed in my car if possible
    -Sit/stand during work hours at my desk using varidesk
    -Lunch (salads or eating out sushi/fish) & a lot of water (mix of Pelligrino & filtered water from office; no fluoride in this area of NJ)
    -Walk/sun gaze during lunch approx 20-30 mins - if unable to do this then get some sunshine for at least 10 mins with UV exposure (some days better than others)
    -Drive home / to crossfit gym for 5 or 6pm class >> focusing on days they have outside workouts rather than inside w/crummy lighting (mostly mixed run/weight days)
    -Eat dinner & some dessert (have a big sweet tooth so not always gluten/sugar free), spend time with family or friends
    -Another 15-20 minutes of sungazing
    -Blue block at sundown & get ready for bed. Red light therapy at night before bed using my Gembared Groove (low EMF)
    -Sleep is typically 7-8 hours, some days better than others, try to keep a good schedule during the week, tracking sleep with Gen 1 Oura ring

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Quantum1 likes this.
  2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

[​IMG]

upload_2018-8-8_12-53-59.png
    ======================
    -Two years ago my father unexpectedly died from stroke (3rd stroke since 2011), this triggered my unending interest in making sure not to repeat his mistakes.
    --
    Start with getting
    Calcium Score test

then go thru all this knifes (starting with homocysteine then P/E ratio on saliva test)

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/pg-e2-ratio.6427/page-7#post-247017

======================================

Taking supplements as needed only
    --
    That is an excellent plan.
    Just before you can implement it you have to test to find out where you are.
    That is what I do.
    Look it up how in my post on thread link above.

========================================

Quantum1 likes this.
  3. Christine_L

Christine_L Gold Member

Thanks, will check it out! I had the overall calcium done, it was normal, is that the same? I cannot remember the lab numbers right now but they were not high. I do lab-work every 6 months and can add new things to measure as I go along.

Also, these are my blue blocking office glasses, you can see they are not very yellow. Waiting for the Ra Optics clear day lenses to come out. I took this picture in the winter, I am way more tan now!

Quantum1 likes this.
  4. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Hi Christine_L
    -Female, 30s & dating
    5' 8" approx 175 lbs

(I am single after DW died last October)(5'8", 150#)
    Have a backyard (almost) suitable for nude sunbathing.
    I am in NJ Parsippany zip 07054
    would love to dance

Did recently my calcium score.
    It is a walk in test, cost $90.
    Look up addresses.

[​IMG]
    ///////
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Sheddie likes this.
  5. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Consider doing this (insurance paid).
    I drew blood for that last Thursday.

1 ------- Pregnenolone
    2 ------- Progesterone
    3 ------- Cortisol, AM/PM (8AM, noon, 3PM)
    4 ------- DHEAs
    5 ------- Androstenedione
    6 ------- Testosterone
    7 ------- SHBG
    8 ------- (E2)Estradiol
    9 ------- (E1)Estrone, (E3) Estriol
    10 ------- Estrogens, Total
    11 ------- Metabolic Panel (14), Comprehensive
    12 ------- Complete Blood Count (CBC) With Differential
    13 ------- NMR LipoProfile® With Insulin Resistance Markers (With Graph)
    14 ------- TSH, T4, FT4, T3, FT3, RT3, Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab, Antithyroglobulin Ab
    15 ------- Prolactin, serum
    16 ------- Fatty Acid Profile, Comprehensive (C8-C26), Serum
    17 ------- Insulin, fasting
    18 ------- Hemoglobin (Hb) A1c
    19 ------- Homocysteine, Plasma
    20 ------- Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy
    21 ------- PTH Parathyroid hormone
    22 ------- Tumor Necrosis Factor-╬▒

Quantum1 and Christine_L like this.
  6. Christine_L

Christine_L Gold Member

Cool to know! For reference the last stroke my dad had was intracerebral hemorrhage, he was taking aspirin 325mg for 2 years from prior stroke which was a blockage.

Quantum1 likes this.
  7. Christine_L

Christine_L Gold Member

They have a Wayne location too, not bad. I'm in Bergen County. Do you have any MD recommendations?

8. JanSz

JanSz Gold

To do that test all you need is $90.
    upload_2018-8-8_16-18-16.png

I did my test here:

upload_2018-8-8_16-20-52.png

Quantum1 and Christine_L like this.
  9. Christine_L

Christine_L Gold Member

Mindful Update:
    Even though I drink a ton of water, I often feel dehydrated. Checked out a long thread on dehydration on the forum and think this corresponds to both a potential lack of magnesium and/or excess eletrons which negates the proper hydration from water. As noted I work in a microwaved office / EMF environment. Whenever I drink Geronsteiner water (has more magnesium) I feel more hydrated and less backed up. My system feels like it is overloaded and clogged up. I made an effort to spend a few hours yesterday in the sun and grounded. The result was better regulation, hydration (though sweating all day) and feeling better/pain free. Conclusion is I am full of excess electrons and not enough grounding and sunning enough.

As noted in my journal, I have never had an easy time losing weight. This takes me to my second issue which is belly fat/waist size. In my 20s I had a proportional hip/waist ratio - meaning if I had a 30" waist my hips were 40". Today, I find that my hips and legs are leaner from working out but my waist won't budge. Currently my waist can bloat to 35" and on a normal day is 34" whereas by hips are 43". I also have symptoms that read Estrogen dominance. This also tells me I am not getting enough sun to regulate my hormones.

So essentially my efforts are messed up somewhere.

Quantum1 likes this.
  10. Christine_L

Christine_L Gold Member

Update:
    Reading some comments on Dr Kruse's FB page and found some others with similiar work environment dropped coffee from their day at work. I am testing this week by not drinking any coffee during the work day to see how hydrated I feel. Will report back.

Quantum1 likes this.
  11. Christine_L

Christine_L Gold Member

UPDATE:
    Been keeping on track with the early AM sunrise and daytime sunrise, only exceptions are if its raining outside. In the last week however the weather has been really cloudy or rainy here on which days I havent been getting up for the sunrise.

Some successes include new PR's at the gym, getting tons of info via podcasts and joining as a full member and waking up before my alarm in the AM. Some drawbacks are not sleeping as good as I was about 2 months ago, having some sugary/carb food cravings, feeling tired more often and a bit overwhelmed with information. While I added Gerosteiner water to my daily routine with limited coffee intake, the last week has also been a falling off point in terms of coffee and diet. I am need to sustain the routine into October/November. The lessened light cycle has really thrown me for a loop. I am having a hard time adjusting to the change in season.

10/9
    Had cortisol and DHEA saliva testing. Makes sense to due since my hunch was my hormones were out of wack somewhere along the path. Of course since I hadnt testing I wouldnt know what we are working with, hence the test.

DHEA within mid range of normal at 6.3 out of 2-23 scale
    AM Cortisol below normal at 3.6 on 3.7 - 9.5 scale

They suggested I do 4xs a day saliva testing for cortisol. The comments stated its possible I have chronically low cortisol due to adrenal insufficiency based on my response to their questionnaire. (Cold feet, stress, constipation, somewhat low BP at 100/60, mild aches and pains and some moodiness).

My regular doc gave me script for complete labwork according to @Jan's suggestions and Dr Kruse's lab testing list from the Epi-Paleo Rx. Going to get that done soon.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Quantum1 likes this.
  12. Christine_L

Christine_L Gold Member

MINDFUL UPDATE:
    I know I can do better. I know I can stop settling. I know I can extend beyond my comfort zone. This whole 5G thing scares me. This office environment is zapping me. The more I think about leaving NJ the more I feel attached to this place. I've always wanted to live near the beach, so I think once I figure out where to go and rearrange my job situation I should be OK.... I just think of all the things I will miss here, like my friends, church community, and the places I've walked over the past 32 years. In a way I feel like a refugee leaving their home, it's for a reason and you have to do it but it still sucks.

Quantum1 likes this.
  13. Christine_L

Christine_L Gold Member

Lab work update from 11/2/18
    These are the results of the panel of what @JanSz and @Jack Kruse recommend. (Just noticed the free T3/T4 and Pregnenalone was not ordered... grr) The hormone panel is based on blood work and not saliva. I can work on getting that done again but there is a cortisol (slightly below normal curve at 9am) and DHEA reference above. I am disappointed with the Vit D and HSCRP. Thought it would be better. I did not supplement at all with Vit D and this reflects my time in the sun and eating salmon/sardines/shrimp everyday. Obviously it wasn't enough and my work environment sucks. I don't know how to interpret the hormones/thyroid/IGF so any help and guidance would be helpful.

@Jack Kruse do you think this is warrants a consult or should I do Leptin Reset again and get down south for Vit D?

COMP METAB PANEL TBR Scale provided by Quest
    GLUCOSE,FASTING 90 65-99 mg/dL ----- OPTIMAL LAB < 88
    SODIUM 138 135-146 mmol/L
    POTASSIUM 4.1 3.5-5.3 mmol/L
    CHLORIDE 103 98-110 mmol/L
    CARBON DIOXIDE 26 20-32 mmol/L
    UREA NITROGEN 9 7-25 mg/dL
    CREATININE 0.77 0.5-1.1 mg/dL
    BUN/CREATININE RATIO
    NOTE 6-22 (calc) Bun/Creatinine ratio is not reported when the Bun and Creatinine values are within normal limits.

Scale provided by Quest
    CALCIUM 9.4 8.6-10.2 mg/dL
    PROTEIN, TOTAL 6.9 6.1-8.1 g/dL
    ALBUMIN 4.4 3.6-5.1 g/dL
    GLOBULIN 2.5 1.9-3.7 g/dL (calc)
    ALBUMIN/GLOBULIN RATIO 1.8 1-2.5 (calc)
    BILIRUBIN,TOTAL 0.6 0.2-1.2 mg/dL
    ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 40 33-115
    U/L AST 15 10-30
    U/L ALT 14 6-29
    U/L EGFR NON AFR AMERICAN 102 >=60 mL/min/1.73m2
    EGFR AFRICAN AMERICAN 118 >=60 mL/min/1.73m2

LIPID PANEL,STANDARD TBR
    CHOLESTEROL,TOTAL 128 <200 mg/dL
    HDL CHOLESTEROL 57 >50 mg/dL ------- OPTIMAL LAB > 60
    CHOLESTEROL/HDL RATIO 2.2 <5.0 calc
    LDL CHOL, CALCULATED 57 <100 mg/dL

TRIGLYCERIDES 61 <150 mg/dL ---------- OPTIMAL LAB < 75
    NON HDL CHOLESTEROL 71 <130 mg/dL (calc)
    For patients with diabetes plus 1 major ASCVD risk factor, treating to a non-HDL-C goal of <100 mg/dL (LDL-C of <70 mg/dL) is considered a therapeutic option.

IRON,TOTAL 94 40-190 mcg/dL
    TSH 1.63 0.4-4.5 mIU/L ---------- OPTIMAL LAB .5 - 1.0
    TBR T4 (THYROXINE), TOTAL 6.7 5.1-11.9 mcg/dL
    TBR T3,Total TBR T3,TOTAL 93 76-181 ng/dL

Scale provided by Quest
    CBC (H/H,RBC,Indices,WBC,Plt) TBR
    WBC 7.0 3.8-10.8 Thous/mcL
    RBC 5.01 3.8-5.1 Mill/mcL
    HEMOGLOBIN 14.1 11.7-15.5 g/dL
    HEMATOCRIT 42.9 35-45 %
    MCV 85.6 80-100 fL
    MCH 28.2 27-33 pg
    MCHC 32.9 32-36 g/dL
    RDW 13.0 11-15 %
    PLATELET COUNT 184 140-400 Thous/mcL
    MPV 9.1 7.5-12.5 fL
    VITAMIN B12 790 200-1100 pg/mL
    TBR CORTISOL, TOTAL 7.2 mcg/dL
    TBR REFERENCE RANGE Cortisol AM 4.0 - 22.0 mcg/dL Cortisol PM 3.0 - 17.0 mcg/dL
    DHEA Sulfate TBR DHEA SULFATE 168
    23-266 mcg/dL HS-CRP 0.7 mg/L ---------- OPTIMAL LAB Top 25%-10% over reference

HEMOGLOBIN A1C 4.7 <5.7 % of total Hgb ------------ OPTIMAL LAB < 5

HS-CRP 0.7 mg/L ------------ OPTIMAL LAB < .5
    VITAMIN D,25-OH,TOTAL,IA 48 30-100 ng/mL ------------ OPTIMAL LAB 70-100
    IGF-I,LC/MS 148 53-331 ng/mL ------------ OPTIMAL LAB > 220

ESTROGEN, TOTAL, SERUM 449.3 pg/mL
    Reference Ranges for Total Estrogen:
    Follicular Phase (1-12 days): 90-590 pg/mL Luteal Phase: 130-460 pg/mL Postmenopausal: 50-170 pg/mL
    PROGESTERONE 1.1 ng/mL
    Adult Female Reference Ranges for Progesterone, LC/MS/MS:
    Follicular Phase: < or = 2.7 ng/mL Luteal Phase: 3.0-31.4 ng/mL Postmenopausal Phase: < or = 0.2 ng/mL
    TESTOSTERONE,TOTAL, MS 40 2-45 ng/dL ---------------- OPTIMAL LAB > 35
    TESTOSTERONE,FREE 5.5 0.1-6.4 pg/mL
    SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOB 30 17-124 nmol/L --------------- OPTIMAL LAB < 25

Quantum1 likes this.
  14. JanSz

JanSz Gold

CHOLESTEROL,TOTAL 128 <200 mg/dL
    SODIUM 138 135-146 mmol/L
    VITAMIN D,25-OH,TOTAL,IA 48 30-100 ng/mL
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Homocysteine=????
    fasting insulin=????

https://www.mcssl.com/store/bltsystem/catalog/search?keyword=Homocysteine
    Homocysteine - $28.01
    Insulin - $12.01
    FreeT3 $48.00
    DHEAs $49.00
    Cortisol $14.44

The venipuncture fee of $6.95 will be added to the Processing Fee of your lab order.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Quantum1 likes this.
  15. Christine_L

Christine_L Gold Member

Is there something with the Cholesterol that made you bold it? Whats the difference in insulin and glucose?

Yes I will f/u with the saliva hormone panel.

Quantum1 likes this.
  16. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Cholesterol is a building material for steroid hormones.
    You have very little of it.

glucose may be considered less important and fasting insulin as very important.

But from looking at your tests, your main problem is lack of cholesterol.

Christine_L and Quantum1 like this.
  17. Christine_L

Christine_L Gold Member

Thank you for the insight Jan. Should I get more cholesterol through increase in eating fatty foods or is it being depleted/not created from some other mechanism? Any blog I should look at?

Quantum1 and drezy like this.
  18. drezy

drezy Gold

Stealing from Pascal's Wager, at least from a culinary sense, If you eat pork belly, whether it "works" or not, it'll at least taste real good.

Find a dude that knows how to cook pork belly several different ways. Encourage him to cook it slow through feminine persuasion powers.

19. Christine_L

Christine_L Gold Member

LOL thank you needed that chuckle

I've seriously upped my bacon eating game. Ordering from a local farm here that has pasture raised beef, pork and lamb. You're right it does taste good.

Maybe I'm not eating enough of it! The horror.

drezy likes this.
  20. drezy

drezy Gold

Bacon is great stuff. I make my own 50% of the time. I've made notes that slow cooked pork belly may be significantly better from a deuterium perspective.