1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

My journey from frustration to success

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Aussie Nana, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Hanny

Hanny Guest

After a couple of really bad days including a day when I couldn't get on here I have temporarily logged in under a different account name and details.

My husband was very irritated yesterday saying that I was much better before I started following Jack and stop it because it was obviously making me worse. I could understand it from his point of view. He just didn't realise that the reason I decided to take this very seriously was that I knew before Christmas that I was sliding down oh so slowly. It hasn't been slow this last week. I've been going downhill sharply since all the CT and being really strict. Adding the 3 magnesiums, ubiquinol and K2 seemed to be the tipping point and things went from bad to worse yesterday.

Added to my upset was losing my anonymity when the forum changed. Thankfully that is now dealt with. Hopefully I'll get the login sorted soon.

I'm off to the beach for an hour shortly.

2. PaulaRichards

PaulaRichards New Member

Sorry to hear you're having some crappy days. Frustrating I know. Since you've been doing lots of CT maybe you're detoxing? And/or your body is doing some healing and on the other side of these crappy days will be some goodness, some wonderful, positive goodness! :)

3. diane

diane Gold

I think that sometimes you can do too much too fast. You could try cutting back the CT and working up to it, start one supplement at a time then add the others in, see what you're reacting to. Magnesium makes me really sleepy (but I have only been taking malate for the past couple of years), so I have to take it at night. See what works for you as it will be different for what works for others.

4. Aussie Nana

Aussie Nana New Member

Thanks for the words of encouragement Paulalynn.

Today is a day to be taken minute by minute, hour by hour. So I started with as big a BAB as I could manage - 180g of mussels and a little bacon at 6.15am. Then it was off to the beach. I had intended to swim/float for an hour but it was too tiring and I only managed about 35 minutes. Dog behaved on the beach, digging her holes. So back home, showered, washing in the machine, dishes soaking in the sink. Husband gone out with daughter to a "nice breakfast". That was another thing that upset me. They organised it without talking to me about it and excluding me - you wouldn't enjoy it, spending money when you can't afford it to eat food you don't like. What do they mean don't like? I love that food. Its just that its off the menu at the moment, given that I want to get better. So I'm home alone. I'll go find my good book and read while they are off gallivanting spending money.

Then I'll come back online to make sure I'm doing it all right re the food selection for today.

5. Optigal

Optigal New Member

supps

Hi, well done on your improvements so far. Life extension have an awesome product called mitochondrial energy optimiser which has the pqq and other good stuff in it. I really notice an energy deficit when i don't take it now.

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

I hope you start to feel better soon - detox can be really nasty for some. It sounds like you don't have much support at home - be strong and come in here and talk to us .........

7. Aussie Nana

Aussie Nana New Member

I checked yesterday that I was doing the leptin reset right. Tick. Then got out my sauerkraut and made sure I had some at lunch and tea. Tick. I took the day quietly and read much of the day. I also filled out the form for an email lab consult and my next task is to get that booked in with Jack. My water is cooling down with ice to do some face dunking shortly.

I need to eat more for BAB. I used to eat after taking the dog for a walk because I could never face food at dawn. I'm now eating before I go and am slowly increasing the quantities. I would like to eat bacon and eggs, but eggs are off the menu. Come to think of it doing without eggs and nuts and my arthritic fingers have improved by about 60% and I haven't had an eye flare up except for one day when I forgot and ate fresh green beans. So that is an improvement. But I put on a kilo over my bad few days. Humph...

Its hard work though when the family finds it difficult to cope with my funny eating and my insistence on a low stress existance. The trouble is my husband wants me to find that magic supplement which will make everything right in a week.

8. Aussie Nana

Aussie Nana New Member

And thanks for the words of encouragement from you all. I'm reading them all. Its just I'm feeling a little self centred at the moment.

9. caroline

caroline Moderator

we have all been there - don't give it another thought - besides - JK says you have to fix YOU first then you can help others - you need to be self centred right now.

10. ashryn

ashryn New Member

Hey, do you think we get these periods of feeling crappy after doing all the right things because we have removed/healed the biggest stuff, and now the body has the chance to sort out some of the other stuff that hasn't been right, but we haven't had the spare energy to deal with it before?

11. Aussie Nana

Aussie Nana New Member

I have to fix me first. I have to fix me first... Thanks for that, Caroline.
    Ashryn, I'd like to think so, but who knows? I'm still going slow this afternoon.

I had an email this morning from my younger sister saying my older sister is in the coronary care unit. Oops. I rang her and she was on the mobile phone while working on her computer in a ward full of other electrical gear. Ah well. Tomorrow they are going to do a whole lot of scans, one of which involves injecting her with iodine. Last time they did that she went into a full cardiac arrest - the tiniest swab of iodine on her arm last year made her arm swell to more than three times the size. They know about that and have said they will fill her full of steroids to stop that immune response. She is remarkably cool about the whole thing. Either she has to trust her own doctors and what they are doing or she is in big trouble. So she is trusting and working on getting a tender document done to be submitted tomorrow before they start on her. Now perhaps she should be slowing down too, though I think it is part of her way of coping.

12. endless

endless New Member

self centered is fine.....disregard the reaction of your partner and enjoy whatever the encounter is....

13. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

Hi Aussie nana...just a quick thought. I was following the GAPS diet which includes a lot of fermented foods to help your gut before I came on board with JK. It turns out that people with methylation issues and histamine build up can't deal with fermented foods the way everyone else can. I felt better and worse at the same time following this program. The lack of grains made my arthritis much better, but the histamine triggered some big reactions. I've told my story lots of times on the forum, but it may be worth an experiment on your part to see if the ferments are a problem. JK has talked about it here and there on different threads too.

If you know ferments are good for you, disregard this message:):)

14. Aussie Nana

Aussie Nana New Member

Thanks SeaHorse. I don't know if ferments are good for me. I was assuming they were but only added them back in yesterday, so they weren't the culprit of what dropped me in the hole. I was assuming I still have something of a leaky gut and I understand sauerkraut is good for that.

I've never really gone for the whole "detox" idea when things go wrong using natural health approaches. However this morning as I lay in bed at 4.45am I was thinking about hormonal cascades and how we have optimal. Then we have a whole range of other cascades. So if the body cannot for any reason be optimal it slides into plan B, C,D, etc down, H, I, J, K and so on till we end up with some for recognisable disease such as AI, cancer or heart disease (on my mind because my sister is in coronary care at the moment). Anyway my thoughts were that once we start doing things right the body is unlikely to be able to go straight to optimal, so we/I might have to come up from, say, for example hormonal cascade K, through I, to H, G, F and so on. And some of these cascades are less than ideal so I have symptoms that are unpleasant. So I thought this might just be another way of saying I'm detoxing. The concept of detoxing is simpler.

Last night I was back to 6 hours of sleep before having a couple of hours of dozing. Beats the four hours sleep and 4 hours of dozing I was getting earlier in the week. Feeling a little better, but I'm still emotionally labile (medico speak for a tendency to get emotional and it wouldn't take much to make me cry). Interestingly I have the least stress I have ever had in my life, so its not a stress problem. I think its purely physical/endocrine/hormonal.

I ate the largest BAB I've ever had this morning. I couldn't face more than 180g of mussels, so I added 170 g of fatty pork belly to get up to the 50g of protein. The last mouthfuls were difficult to push down and I was somewhat nauseus for the next hour or so. I don't think I ever want to eat again.

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

you did good! interested to hear how long before you were hungry again......I was just thinking some used to say that seafood wasn't filling enough for BAB --- maybe add more meat and fat - especially the fat and see how it goes?

16. Aussie Nana

Aussie Nana New Member

Hungry again at midday, but I ate a bit less than usual. Then was hungry again at 3pm. Would love to snack but being good at the moment. I think the hunger is just cravings, not real hunger. Coping a bit better today.

17. Aussie Nana

Aussie Nana New Member

Today I didn't get hungry at midday. It is now 4pm and I didn't feel the need for lunch. Unheard of. Now if this becomes a regular happening then it will give me an extra hour or more a day - one meal I don't have to cook and clean up after. Well, that will be the case if I get my husband hooked on a BAB. One step at a time. Sort myself out first. I slept through till 3am last night: another 6 hour sleep before I woke then I slept solidly for another hour. I like this. I want more. Well I did till I got so sleepy at 2pm that I couldn't read any more and needed an afternoon nap. I would love to stay longer in bed this afternoon but I'm bothered that if I do I might not sleep tonight. Is this needing an afternoon nap normal? I'm assuming its part of the slowing down and healing process and not fighting it.

Husband has improved his behaviour - or is it that I'm not feeling as fragile as I was? Either way it is much more pleasant.

18. ashryn

ashryn New Member

I got really sleepy for a few days at the beginning.. And I find that if I kick myself out of ketosis from eating too many carbs the day before, I want a nana nap... Usually I just power on through because I'm at work, but if its a weekend I usually go for it. The sleepiness usually passes if I get engrossed in something. Oddly, it seems to have little to do with anything I have or haven't eaten that day.

No idea if this is true, but I've been reasoning that I am trying to train my body to burn fat, and it does fine so long as it doesn't get the chance to burn sugar (ie carbs in my body's POV).. But if it does get the chance, it forgets the fat burning thing and tries to burn sugar (by converting protein to glucose?) Making me tired.

Anyway, when it happens i just enjoy the chance to sleep in the day.. Which I used to love, and sort of missed when I didn't need to any more...

19. endless

endless New Member

I can't wait till I don't get hungry at midday....it's been months and I still have to eat lunch or I'm ravenous by 4pm! Maybe I need to follow your lead and up the fat at breakfast.

20. Aussie Nana

Aussie Nana New Member

Endless I increased both the quantity of protein and the amount of fat. So I'm eating a dozen New Zealand mussels (about 180g) and about 170g of fatty pork belly both cooked in coconut oil. I really would not choose to eat that much but I'm trying to faithfully follow Jack's suggestions. I have to admit I'm starting to get hungry by 4pm and yesterday made dinner to eat by 5.30pm. So its an early breakfast and an early dinner. But at no time over the last three days have I felt "ravenous" like I had to eat when I wanted to eat two hourly before I went paleo. I have to say not grazing through the day is a rather novel experience. Someone gave me two huge bunches of grapes yesterday and I had to pass one over to my daughter because I don't want to spoil what I'm doing. I'm being quite strict about total amounts of carbs.

Ashryn it was interesting that I hadn't eaten much in the way of carbs. I was just sleepy. I've realised there is a difference between feeling sleepy and feeling tired. Feeling sleepy and I just want to sleep and its easy to slide into sleep. Feeling tired is quite different. I'm not as tired as I was. I can be tired and not able to sleep. Sleep was difficult last night. I just plain did too much during the day. Oops. But I feel I'm losing fitness and I don't like that - it was hard won and it is dropping away so quickly with not doing anything that might be construed as cardio. Except for some activity I just wanted to do yesterday, keeping up socially with some youngsters. I do like to be with them.