1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

My journal - Allergies/Eczema/Retinal issues

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by BPS, Jul 25, 2017.

1. BPS

BPS New Member

Hi all

So I started looking at health hacks a few years back, starting with Paleo eating, and have geeked up and extended my knowledge from there. I've seen lots of practitioners and read lots of journals, etc to get where I am now:

Quick history:

* 1st Born. Emergency C Section birth. Breastfed for 6 months
    * Live in the NW of United Kingdom
    * Male, 5"10'. 72kg
    * Had eczema since age of 2, after being in hospital for hip operation (stress, antibiotics, etc)
    * Office worker (company director)
    * Worked in city, Lived in semi-rural.
    * Since 2015, moved office to rural, stone built building, 10 miles from nearest city. Moved house to same area.
    * About to buy new 1850s stone built house in 1 acre of land. Right at foot of Fell in a national park. No powerlines, no wifi signals, very little phone signal.

* Maternal health: 65. Excellent, no known health issues.
    * Maternal grandparent health: Died at 75. Chron's.

* Paternal health: 63. Excellent, no known health issues.
    * Paternal grandparent health: Died at 55. Heart failure.

2014-2016

* Started with a personal trainer, big focus on 'bulking', eating lots of protein and carbs. Bad food, bad advice. Overtrained (5x/week).
    * Eczema flared up, lots of yeast issues
    * Also had muscle strain in groin that was misdiagnosed as UTI, had 3x Antibiotics back-to-back
    * Long term hamstring and groin strain lasted around 2 years
    * Prescribed strong topical steroids to deal with eczema
    * Surprise surprise, adrenals burnt out. Yeast issues and skin got worse. Thanks conventional medicine

* Started with a functional medicine practitioner
    * Saliva tests showed reverse cortisol curve (very low in AM, high in PM)
    * Organic Acids test showed lots of yeast metabolites
    * Found I had big magnesium deficiency
    * Stool test showed no parasites, but gut disbiosis (didnt test for yeast)
    * Mould exposure due to renevating new office
    * Heart palpitations, very 'stressy' feeling, even when on holiday, lots of aches and pains
    * Suffered from 3 retinal tears, no known reason, also showing signs of peripheral retinal degeneration
    * Taking a trace minerals supplement (CMD drops) reduced visual effects of retinal tear (flashing lights).

* Studied to learn about nutrition, biology, etc
    * Found out what foods worked for me, removed massive triggers (brassica/mustard family)
    * 2 month gut clearance using herbals
    * Skin issues solved 90-95%
    * Balanced adrenals using Pregnanalone/DHEA
    * Big digestive issues, massive GERD and Gallbladder pain. Resolved with Zinc Carnosine, Betain HCL, Digestive Enzymes
    * Homeopathic practitioner diagnosed and treated Coxsackie virus. Palpitations gone.

* Later in year, Yeast issues cropped up again

Current issues

• Skin is around 90% resolved, but I still suffer from eczema triggered by foods, specifically around my eyes and cheeks, small amount on fingers.
    • More recent stool test (2016) shows high yeast
    • Slight tinnitus (right ear, same side as eye issues)
    • Diet is very limited. Can't eat any brassica veg (most green veg), very sensitive to rice, wheat, barley. Meat is fine. Fats are fine.
    • Seem to be able to tolerate small amounts of some foods but not larger amounts
    • If I am not very careful, yeast issues crop up.
    • Re-tested adrenals, now high in morning and OK in evening. Probably normalised now as test was 1 yr ago.
    • This year I had to revisit eye hospital for epiretinal membrane affecting vision. Retinal tears had been repaired using laser, and are now stable (no progression)
    Recently I've been focusing heavily on lifestyle modifications after realising that food got me 90% of the way, but no further.

Current Routine (for last 6 months)

6am Wake up, go for 1 hour, 2-3 mile walk. It's often cloudy here. Either go to local stream and paddle, or walk up nearby fell (300m altitude). Probiotics and 1.5L of water with Concentrace minerals

7am Breakfast - Usually eggs with tumeric.

8: 30am Work

12:30pm Lunch - Walk into local village and back for noon sun. Eat outside when possible. Usually eat salmon and salad, with olive oil, feta, trying to get other fish/shellfish into diet.

4:30pm Home. Try to get outside for an hour, weather permitting but this isn't often.

5:30pm Dinner. Usually meat, with steamed veg. Butternut squash as only carb source.

7:00pm Blueblocking glasses, Salt lamp, trying to reduce laptop/iphone usage but this is a problem.

9:30pm Bed, blacked out bedroom. Electronics & Wifi off.

Big wins

• Adrenals seem much better. I re-tested early 2016 and morning had reversed to high, with PM ok. I am much more chilled now and don't have any energy issues so haven't retested but from obvervation seem fine
    • I sleep very well now, I fall asleep quickly, don't wake up in night then wake up at 6am without any issues. I don't often dream however.
    • I now know food triggers to avoid
    • Feel much calmer and balanced
    • Work/life balance is very good
    • This year I spent 4 weeks on holiday near equator so far (2 weeks in Jan, 2 weeks in May)
    • In a routine to get an outdoor walk, 2x/day.
    Current challenges:
    • I use my laptop and phone too much. I get a 'fix' from using them (low dopamine?) and find myself craving information. My workaround is to listen to a podcast which engages my brain and I don't then need to browse on my phone. I've already got RetinaGuard screens to block blue, plus Iris software on macbook.
    • I need to eat more shellfish, etc. I go to the supermarket every lunchtime and get salmon, but it's Scottish farmed, no other choice. I do get crab meat, mackeral/sardines (tinned), prawns, etc.
    • I really need more food flexibility, I flare up easily if I go out for a meal, etc.
    • I know the autumn/winter makes me go backwards considerably. All of my eye issues have occured between October and April, and there's been one every year for the past 3 years so determined to not have another this year!

Loving Jack's work, especially as it seems to have given me a possible reason for the current health issues. I'm an uber geek on health so it's great knowledge.

Looking forward to hearing people's input on my current progress!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    caroline and ScottishEmma like this.
  2. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

Welcome to the forum and journal land :)

ScottishEmma and BPS like this.
  3. ScottishEmma

ScottishEmma Silver

Welcome. Good to read your background. Hope you get what you need in the forum! I know I've got loads!!

4. BPS

BPS New Member

This week I’d love to focus on reducing my iPhone usage.

It’s like crack to me. I don’t use social media much but I gave a thirst for knowledge so as soon as a question pops into my head I’m on my phone looking for answers.

I don’t use it at work but as soon as I’m away from my desk it’s in my hand.

Any tips to reduce usage, in not sure going cold turkey is going to work...?

Janette Layne likes this.
  5. ScottishEmma

ScottishEmma Silver

My god, yes!

I had this exact thing recently as I too have been dropping my iphone use. I'm now attempting to use it twice a day for messaging over whatsapp - came off social media, that was my biggest use of it!

What I found was that for the first few days - and still a little bit now - random thing would come in my head to 'check' or look up. You know, like, what happened to that random 80s band. Stupid things that we've grown accustomed to be able to get our answer straight away.

So I decided I would make a note of all the things during the day I wanted to look up and then do it in the evening whilst on the computer. In truth, most of it I realised was utter bullshit - I can go on living without knowing what happened to that 80s band and a lot of the other random things.

Anything that was truly important could wait until my evening computer time to look up if it was important. Because, that's what we used to do 10 years ago before smart phones. The internet existed so you had the knowledge but you'd just use it more productively rather than instantly any time you thought of something.

I don't know if that helps but the reality is that over the last few weeks the number or random urges and desires to look shit up has diminished. It's like, the more you don't go there by instantly gratifying that impulse or need, the more it subsides.

Sean Waters, Jude, caroline and 2 others like this.
  6. BPS

BPS New Member

This week I’ve been keeping up the daylight routine

Walk outside for an hour at 6am. Hasn’t been sunny but I’m hoping the IR is still getting through the cloud. But maybe not.

Another walk at lunchtime.

Yesterday I changed my desk around so I’m now using a wired keyboard for my MacBook. Only had a Bluetooth mouse so using hat for now (better than hands on MacBook?) and will get wired mouse. Just a shame as I love the Apple magic mouse!

Next stop is reducing iPhone usage. Thanks for the tips @ScottishEmma. Let’s do this!

ScottishEmma and caroline like this.
  7. caroline

caroline Moderator

welcome to journal land .....

8. BPS

BPS New Member

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

My Patreon blog on the solar callus would be helpful on this topic. You might want to stroll over there and read it.

10. Jen N

Jen N New Member

Hi BPS, just wanted to encourage you and let you know that sun has really helped my eczema. Getting my gut health is balance was also critical. I recently have been applying epsom salt mixed with water to the last stubborn spot on my chin for about 10 mins, 2 times a day. It burns while on the eczema but also reduce the inflammation. The last tiny spot I have is almost gone. If you try this be sure to moisturize the area after!

11. Penny

Penny New Member

Here is the journal of american medicine circa 1909 on eczema... paint methylene blue on your skin:

https://books.google.com/books?id=p...zAI#v=onepage&q=methylene blue eczema&f=false

In fact, I just read a study where they painted methylene blue on a cancer cell, shot it with a 640nm light and killed the cancer... I am currently painting it on something that looks squamousy that's been on my face for years and it is getting rid of it - and half the time I don't even remember the rubilux light - I just go into the sun - I wonder what the rest of that journal says - it would probably be a hoot to read:)

Methylene blue is also great for yeast - as is oregon grape root (the berberines) - yeast is a sign of high blood sugar IMHO - or high blue light:)

https://mitoblue.com/

12. BPS

BPS New Member

Hey guys

Thanks for the encouragement.

I have been adding red light via a broad spectrum heat lamp each day for 10 mins but I have to say I’ve noticed zero improvements, maybe worse.

I think it’s the UV I’m lacking. At 50deg latitude there’s not loads! I’ve been having a morning walk (pre UV) and a midday walk for an hour but that’s with a tshirt on. Even so my facial eczema is awful right now.

I was considering supplementing with a UV bulb as sunbeds do help. Im just a little concerned about UV on my eyes due to my retinal issues. Makes me quite nervous as there’s very little way of knowing if im doing damage until too late.

13. How are you getting on mate?

14. Janette Layne

Janette Layne Status Nominal AFU

Purchase the actual books of the recommended reading by Dr. Kruse and print off internet research. I’ve the same kind of addiction. Let me know if you think of anything else. Perhaps that new sleeve device for the cell phones. I’ve not tried it yet.

15. drezy

drezy Gold

That guy has been gone a while.

What phone do you have? I think I may have something for you.

16. Janette Layne

iPhone 10 I think. I now have eczema on my face even though I’ve increased my sun exposure including my face. This is awful! Do you have instructions for how to set the phone up on a hard line?
    My overall screen time I’ve drastically reduced. I’m shutting off all power to my room at night. The only thing I’ve done differently has been increasing my sun exposure to mostly high noon (I live at 5k ft), and because my digestion was rejecting the BAB I started drinking an organic grass fed bone broth protein powder with amino acids. It contains 720mg of histidine among many others and all of the essential amino acids. I know it’s not necessarily the food, but it could be contributing??
    I can’t sleep like this. I gave in last night and took Benadryl and gabapentine. I know I shouldn’t but I was desperate to sleep.
    I’ve also been consuming French Cornichinos and suspect that’s also a contributing factor. Maybe they’ve turned 5G on. There’s little to no talk about us getting it, but I have been seeing small cells on the power grid in some places since I’ve become aware.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019 at 9:29 AM
    Sean Waters likes this.
  17. drezy

drezy Gold

Yikes. I don't know what that issue could be.

I use a system similar to this for an iPhone on airplane mode:
    https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile-phone-ethernet-works

18. Janette Layne

19. Janette Layne

Another thought on the subject... my bed has springs in it. I was thinking about getting a foam or air mattress to sleep on, but I’m concerned about the off gassing of chemicals and I’m not willing to drop a few grand on the “organic mattress” because of my location and proximity to multiple towers I’m going to have to move.
    I recently switched from a tin lined Turkish pot to a stainless steal one on a gas oven for heating water. I use hot water for the bone broth, dandelion, ginger, & turmeric teas. I’ve read before that stainless steal and gas together releases toxic chemicals into our food. Is there any truth to that?
    My energy efficiency fridge is malfunctioning. Freezing over and buzzing to the point I can feel in through the handle. I’ve disabled it, as I’ve another non energy efficient fridge.

20. @Janette Layne Do you need the iPhone?........ I had a severely burnt nose/ forehead when I owned a smartphone and travelled Sri Lanka/ Mexico (hot places).

It wasn't until I switched to a Nokia 105 "old school 2G" phone that my forehead recovered. The Redox is still not great in it... it burns quicker than elsewhere, but I still work in an Office @ a screen, under BL... but it is reduced.

The proximity and intensity of the BL & RF from your smartphone is worse than a screen. Also, my screen has F.lux/ IRIS... and the overhead lights are further away than a phone. So that would explain the "gains"..... the other thing that has gone, was a stye/ eye twitch, I hated that fucker.

My nose still goes red with too much UV. But it isn't scabbing.

One hack that I did, when I refused to give in to not having a smartphone... was Face Dunks for 30 mins, into a bucket of half ice/ half water.

The temp was below 50 F, freezing... but it gave me EPIC sleep as it depleted deuterium @ the brain stem. And, it really healed my face.