1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

My Functional Med Appt

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by nosnhojjennifer@yahoo.com, May 16, 2012.

1. Well, I met with the function med doctor and I guess I found it a little anti-climatic. She was very thorough and had this device that did Bioelectric Impedance Analysis. Basically its for cell membrane health. She said mine Phase angle was 5.9, which according to her chart means my cells are 62 years old :( I am 40. I guess you can see why CT really sucked for me. My cell membranes are not in good shape.

It also said my BMI is 23.3 and I have a Fat Free Mass of 70.2% and Fat Mass of 29.8%. I am not happy with these numbers. She says my BMI is fine but I should try to build up some muscle and reduce fat mass. She's ordered a bunch of bloodwork, which I will have to find a doc in my insurance plan to write so it gets paid for. So that might take me a minute. She did suggest a new PMD, who is "with" functional medicine stuff. I probably will switch. Why wouldn't I? My doctor laughed at me when I told him I thought going gluten free had affected my thyroid.

So, bottom line is she says I have a leaky gut. Well, I knew that. I have many other things as well. She feels healing the leaky gut is primary and the other things will fall into place. So, I am on board with that, however we disagree about a few things. Primarily she wants me to do an elimination diet for 28 days. Well, there are a lot of things on an elimination diet that are NOT on a Paleo diet (brown rice, oats, quinoa, buckwheat, split peas, lentils, legumes, and all nuts except peanuts). There are major things on my Paleo diet that are NOT on the elimination diet, namely beef, pork, shellfish, ghee, chocolate. So, I am super unhappy about this...living off of seafood and foul. And she wants me to take this product called Ultra Clear Sustain. It has 10 g of sugar a serving and is made with rice flour and rice syrup. I do NOT want to take this. It's marketed for leaky gut and I cut the info and pasted at the bottom here. I am going to do some research and call her and say I don't want to take it. It also has Fructooligosaccharides and Inulin in it. I thought this was on the avoid list. She also recommended the three meals, two snacks stuff for low blood sugar. So, I am disappointed that she is not Paleo and IDK, seems like the GAPS diet would make more sense but this is what she feels is best course. I am going on vacation next week, so she said start it after. So I guess I have some time to think about this but my first reaction is I'm not sure how to do Leptin Rx and what she wants me to do.

lend, shake, or briskly stir about 2 level scoops (60 grams) of UltraClear SUSTAIN into 8 ounces of chilled water or juice twice daily or as directed by your healthcare practitioner. For highly sensitive individuals, consider reducing consumption to 1/2 to 1 scoop with 4 to 5 ounces of chilled water or juice twice daily during the first 3 to 4 days before starting a full daily dose.

Serving Size: About 2 Scoops (60 g)

Calories220 Fat4 gSaturated Fat†1.5 gTrans Fat gCholesterol mgSodium20 mgPotassium300 mgCarbohydrate32 gDietary Fiber3 gSugars10 gProtein15 gVitamin A (retinyl palmitate)1500 IUVitamin A (beta-carotene)2500 IUVitamin C102 mgCalcium300 mgIron3.6 mgVitamin D50 IUVitamin E50 IUThiamin0.525 mgRiboflavin0.595 mgNiacin7 mgVitamin B60.7 mgFolic acid140 mcgVitamin B122.1 mcgBiotin105 mcgPantothenic Acid100 mgPhosphorus175 mgMagnesium121 mgZinc7.5 mgCopper0.5 mgManganese1.3 mgChromium75 mcgL-Glutamine500 mgL-Lysine35 mgL-Threonine34 mgL-Cysteine25 mgL-Glycine100 mgDL-Methionine100 mgBlend of: Fructooligosaccharides and Inulin3 g

Other Ingredients: Rice protein concentrate

, rice syrup solids, rice flour, a blend of fructooligosaccharides and inulin, olive oil, magnesium citrate, calcium citrate, medium-chain triglycerides

, natural flavors, dicalcium phosphate, silica, D-calcium pantothenate, dipotassium phosphate, ascorbic acid, d-alpha tocopheryl acetate, zinc gluconate, L-lysine HCl, L-cysteine HCl, ferrous fumarate, vitamin A (beta-carotene, retinyl palmitate), niacinamide, copper gluconate, pyridoxine HCl

, thiamin HCl, chromium polynicotinate (as ChromeMate® GTF††), cyanocobalamin, cholecalciferol

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

BIA are notorious not accurate but helpful for a trend.......the best use of it is to follow a phase angle decrease as you get healthier and you can use BIA for body comp measures between Dexa's because there is no radiation

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Just eat your way and let her take care of the rest.......And if you want to change your cell membranes fast......ask her about the PKT protocol of PAtricia Kane. Most functional docs know about it. It can change things quick. Also Meyer's cocktail's for your gut

4. I hadn't heard of Myer's Cocktail for leaky gut so I looked it up:

A popular IV is the so-called Myers Cocktail, an intravenous vitamin and mineral protocol developed by Dr. John Myers at Johns Hopkins University in Maryland. He saw that many conditions stem from digestive problems – leaky gut, indigestion, bloating, and food sensitivities for example. He saw that these people were not absorbing many of the nutrients in their food. Also, some diseases cause the body to use nutrients at a faster rate, or to require higher amounts for proper healing. When nutrients are injected intravenously, we by-pass the problematic digestive tract. Levels in the bloodstream temporarily rise so that the nutrients are "coaxed" into the cells, and frequently into the mitochondria where they are active. This temporary boost frequently "kick-starts" the cells, so that energy is produced more efficiently in them.

5. Thanks Dr K! I'm glad to hear that I'm not really 62 yet! I am extremely interested in this how cell membrane stuff though, especially with a family history of Alzeheimer's Disease and Parkinson's Disease. (not to mention the diabetes) With her plan, I'm glad to have something concrete to focus on and of course, I'm sure the labs will show if anything else needs addressed.

A Meyer's cocktail sound great! (Thanks for looking it up, Patty!!) Good lord knows I'm not drinking any other cocktails these days! Now if only they were served somewhere in town! But I will write these two things down for my follow up appointment.

Now that I have had a little more time to process it, I will say this about her - she was very kind and understanding and she did a great explanation of leaky gut. She also said that as long as your gut is leaky, your body is at war and your adrenals are fighting it. So, even if you can get your outside stress down to zero, your adrenals will be taxed by the inner stress going on. She also gave a good explanation for the muscle fatigue. Basically saying that when the gut is leaking, then the liver is also overworked and things start backing up giving you the muscle fatigue. I know she is recommending the 5 meals because I complain about low blood sugar so loudly. But I am committed to Leptin Reset. This appointment confirmed it for me because I was totally freaking out inside when she was giving me the diet, etc. I can only imagine the look on my face. My adrenals were certainly taxed by that. The other thing I liked about her was that she only "prescribed" three things - Metagenics Ultra Flora Plus, Metagenics EPA-DHA 720 and the medical food that I don't want to take. She also recommended an adaptagin (Adreset) because I complained of my short temper and mood but I haven't done well on them, so I tabled it for now. Overall I just want to feel good again and not be such a short tempered byotch.

Sidebar...I was at an event tonight to announce the winning architect who is going to be building the new Medical School in downtown Buffalo. They had a list of all the areas they want to pursue teaching in...neurology, pediatric neurology, nephrology (esp kidney transplants) and all these other disease-focused areas. None were wellness focused and all I could think was, these are all probably caused by leaky gut and no one is doing anything about that. sigh...