1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

My first seafood broth

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by PaulG, Jun 5, 2014.

1. PaulG

PaulG New Member

So, I have decided to do my first ever seafood broth and this is my experience.

• Went into wholesale seafood place and bought some mixed marina (scallops, prawns, mussels, squid, tuna)
    • Asked for something to make fish stock and was given three large pink snapper fish frames with heads on FOR FREE
    • Put fish frames into slow cooker, filled with water plus half cup vinegar and cooked on low for 10 hrs overnight
    • Following evening ran through whole lot through blendtec blender and now have large 5l saucepan of liquid and smashed bones etc in the fridge

I was thinking I could now drink this over the next 5 days and/0r add it to recipes such as soup. Its pretty strong smelling and tasting.

I have probably by-passed numerous steps to either make decent stock or soup so have ended up with stoup so what do I do next? Is it safe to do this?

SOS to Inger - MHS alert.
    http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/mackerel-head-smoothie.2403/page-14

Kids are grossed out and wife refuses to eat/drink fish heads. I just remember Sandy from Monkey

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
    NeilBB likes this.
  2. Inger

Inger Silver

Ok Paul, I have never made a broth like that :eek: but here is what i think.

It is absolutely fine to drink, just make sure nothing is going to stick in your throat. That the bones are small enuf to get down easily. I also never use vinegar, might be it would taste better without? But you might need to hold your nose. I always do when I drink my raw fish head smoothie. I just cannot like it! But who cares...lol just get it down. After all, it is medicine! ;)

When I make fish broth (I do not do it often because I mostly drink fish head smoothies) I just cook the bones add sea salt and some seaweed and then i sieve it and drink the broth that i find very yummy! No need to hold my nose then. But like you do there, blending the bones and all, cant be bad for us, just a bit yucky lol
    But IDK how big the idea is to do that because that is why we cook the fish heads/bones so long to suck out the nutrients into the broth that we drink.

My fish head smoothies are raw, you see. They are made of fatty fish that is no good for broth (fish fat gets rancid by heating) so that is why i make the aw fish head smoothie. Mackerel and herring heads you cannot make broth of. It needs to be non fatty fish for that, but the fish monger knows that i think.

So... if i were you, I would just cook the broth next time and sieve it and give to family, they will like it i bet that way! You can also use it for fish soup etc.
    And the broth you made now you might have to drink all by yourself...lol I do bet it is healthy! :)

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

I really don't think MHS are that bad at all .... with fresh lemon and fresh herbs .....and a glug of wine afterwards!

I see wine is getting to be a theme.......

4. Inger

Inger Silver

i tried to take a sip of wine after my head smoothie a few days ago... iiii it was yucky lol fish head smoothie taste with wine.. ehhh

I need a spoon of wild lingon berries.. they are so strong tasting nothing else is felt ;)

i must be a wuss

5. PaulG

PaulG New Member

Enjoying the soup now. It is really tasty with tumeric and garam massalla. Another quiver in my bow to optimal - shame no-one else in this house is courageous enough to give it a try.

Next milestone - embrace the 'raw' culture..

6. PaulG

PaulG New Member

Inger, surely there is fat to some extent in all fish. How does fresh fish that is slow cooked end up becoming rancid?

7. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Fish heads certainty make a really really tasty broth :). For some reason, I personally like leaner varieties of fish to make broth too, but that's purely from a taste point of view. Recently, it's been lots of bonito tuna and snapper varieties.

Cooking Tataki style should be a good compromise on the road to raw. Gordon Ramsay shows you how (with lots of swearing of course) -- . Take away the extreme high heat, questionable cooking oils, and you basically have a chunk of fish that is at least 90% raw. I love a raw snapper fillet with crispy skin (basically only cook on the skin side for about 1 min). Pair it with some good sauce, and I think it's something that almost anyone can enjoy.

Then of course, there's ceviche and poke --

8. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

I suggest reading Harold McGee's On Food And Cooking. This is not a cookbook. It is a deep treatment of food and cooking that goes into chemistry. For flavor fish broth is recommended to cook only 30 -40 min. Or it gets bitter. I have found this to be true. Shellfish bodies can be cooked for hours however. This book is used as a textbook in culinary schools. Fascinating read.

Kristi Lambert likes this.
  9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The culinary school in Poughkipsee uses this I believe.

10. greentrees

greentrees New Member

"Fish stocks, or fumets (from the French for “aroma”), are also generally prepared in an hour or less, since longer simmering of fragile fish bones can dissolve calcium salts that then cloud the liquid and give it a chalky taste. Stocks are made with fish bones, skins, trimmings, and heads, which are an especially rich source of gelatin and flavor."

(p.216 On Food and Cooking)

Screw it, I'm gonna try 4-24hrs. Usually I do my own thing and find out why people do X instead lol. Bring on the bitter calcium salts

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  11. Saichi

Saichi New Member

I do 24 hour fish head/body skeleton broths specifically to make the bones soft and edible. Pretty much the gills are the only part I don't eat.

12. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

The reason to use vinegar in bone broths is to help minerals leach from the bones, for extra nutrition. But you only need a slash, not half a cup.

13. I dont know if it matters, but I add the vinegar first to broken bones and minimal liquid, so the ph drops and hopefully leaches out all the goodness. After an hour of simmer, i fill the pot with water , diluting the broth to continue simmering.
    My grandma taught this to my mom in the 1950s.

Anne V likes this.
  14. Anne V

Anne V Gold

next time you make one , let me know , i ll come and taste :)

Marko Pollo likes this.