1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

My Ben Greenfield CT Optimal performance podcast.....is now live.

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Jack Kruse, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Barry

Barry New Member

Really ???? You're telling me sitting in ice for 45mins depletes more glycogen than a 3-4hr run on empty ??

2. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

Barry I thought the same thing. Though 3-4hr run on empty..... Well your already empty so not much to deplete and at a slower pace you may be burning a higher fat ratio. But now if it was a high intensity 45 mins at AT level...... I don't see how 45 mins in cold would deplete glycogen faster or best. Also isn't there more of a specific training effect with the run as well? Perhaps I am missing something?

Good discussion and nice to see your thoughts and questions on this stuff Barry.

3. Barry

Barry New Member

Thanks,

You can put numbers around all these things, g/hr cho burned depending on exercise duration and intensity

Bottom line is this - athletes train , and in FST , they can deplete stores even more and get better adaptations

CT is not part of an athletes training schedule so it's extra, which means its an effort. I'd rather go out on my bike in the sunshine for a few hours on empty than sit in an ice bath quite frankly.

Finally , yes, it's all about the Law of Specificity ;-)

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

But you can bike with an ice vest.......and that is what we need to see. Those results are what you and the world needs.

5. Barry

Barry New Member

Jack,

I want to test it out and find out more. However, us athletes spend a lot of time training in cold conditions anyway . No need for an ice vest when you're out for a 5hr run in the snow !?!

Again , not sure how practical it is. The tour de France cyclists I work with might go out for a 4hr training session with specific power reading targets set over certain time intervals . They want to make sure they hit those numbers. Not sure if they would be willing to wear an ice vest ... Plus they are into their aesthetics !!