1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

My Ben Greenfield CT Optimal performance podcast.....is now live.

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Jack Kruse, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Im not missing it......im dissing it. Evolution is tougher than athletics. I believe that.......you dont. Im cool with that.

2. Barry

Barry New Member

All depends on the context. This 50g thing is another generic recommendation that has no specificity. Also , depends on your enzymatic machinery and your volume of training .

2-3weeks for the Average joe maybe , but not for the FST , keto adapted full time athlete .

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

This I agree with......it is a Phinneyism

4. Barry

Barry New Member

I do it , you don't. That's where you are missing out. I'm cool with that.

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Youre right.......

6. jonnyh

jonnyh New Member

Thanks for reply, I didnt really think that would be the case for fully keto adapted athletes.

7. Barry

Barry New Member

8. I was reading this thread tonight, very interesting! Thanks guys.

I have a question to the athletes here. . and I'm not being snarky, I'd really like to understand - I've always wondered if it's just a manifestation of chemical stuff or?

Why do you WANT to be an athlete? Like in my mind, a track runner, is running around in circles for god knows how many laps and going through great amounts of time and money and energy to prepare for it. Circles! It's certainly not the same as running to get food to feed your family. Same with any other sport really. . .like soccer - you are literally just kicking a ball across a field. Why would someone want to go through so much to do this?

In my mind, an appropriate answer is: I'm good at it and I'm making tons of money at it. THAT I could understand. That's no different than any other of us who get stuck in a job that they are successful at but keep going for the moola.

I feel I'm totally missing something - You guys seem both thoughtful and pro Athlete. Why?

9. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

My answers: challenge, goals, camaraderie, fitness. I've never been on the top step of the podium (except in a very small field) so I may not be who you want to hear from on this. The elite people I know do it because they just can't not do it, though many of them will walk away when they are no longer winning.

10. Barry

Barry New Member

“Struggling and suffering are the essence of a life worth living. If you're not pushing yourself beyond the comfort zone, if you're not demanding more from yourself - expanding and learning as you go - you're choosing a numb existence. You're denying yourself an extraordinary trip.”

11. Barry and Lyndra - I get the challenge/struggle part. But why a sport or game? Why not challenge and struggle on something that benefits you more than running in circles?

Like, an astronaut that trains and trains so they can expore space - that I get. What is the reason you choose a sport instead of something else?

12. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I'm too old to be an astronaut and have a fear of heights???

Seriously, I think it feels good to move. Right now, I'm not doing much exercise (thanks to hypothyroid & adrenal fatigue) so I just appreciate being able to get out and enjoy a nice walk with my dog. Same thing with an easy yoga. One could certainly argue that physical activity is more selfish (or at least self-centered) than a non-physical activity that directly benefits others, but I don't see them as being mutually exclusive. You can be a great RE agent and be a great mom. It's not either-or. Lance Armstrong is a great athlete and does good work through his Livestrong foundation (and I don't intend to start any controversy here about him so pardon me if he's a bad example).

13. JamesC

JamesC New Member

Whether someone is training to be an astronaut or training to go to the Olympics, both people are training to accomplish their on PERSONAL goals. Everyone has goals in life and not every one has the same ones you do.

14. Of course, and I would say I'm in the minority - as most people have sports on their like list. BUT, what is wrong with trying to understand why? Clearly what I find gratifying is very different than Barry, thus the question. The closest I can get to an answer has to do with the dopamine/serotonin effects from collaborating with a group and/or having someone admire you. But there are some people who keep doing it, even without the competition aspect that would gratify and cement that reward path.

Are you someone who spends time on sports where this isn't a direct path to either participating in a group or competition? If so, then I would love to understand what it does for you - other than the previously discussed benefits of doing something hard.

15. JamesC

JamesC New Member

For me its all about constant improvement and bettering my self, not just at sport. I like the feeling when my hard work pays off and have all ways been a competitive person. And there is the simple fact that I love the sport of cycling, just like some one might like golf or reading, or like the lady down the road who loves to garden and is all ways working on it, and improving/refining it.

Sure some people do it for the fame, but that's not just in sport. Pretty much everyone has something they love doing and for some people that just happens to be running for long distances. I don't know how else to explain it. At least I am trying to minimize as much damage as possible that is caused by what I do.

16. Barry

Barry New Member

Lets get this thread back on topic folks.

See what you think of this, he's close...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/cyclical-ketogenic-diets-and-endurance-performance-qa.html

17. JamesC

JamesC New Member

That was a good article thanks for sharing. For now I am gonna stay ketogenic but the end goal is to figure out how to reap the benefits of keto and CT while still being able to preform at high power output. A CKD may be the answer but that is something I will look into as well.

Peter Attia has shown that with just 3 months of keto adaptation he had significant improvements that would help greatly with cycling performance.

http://eatingacademy.com/how-a-low-carb-diet-affected-my-athletic-performance

It makes me wonder what 3 years can do in combination with CT. Would Peter eventually see big improvments in his VO2 max which droped after 3 months. (Like Jack is saying) And if adding a 2 day window of carbs before a very high intensity bike race but still preforming it in the fasted state will allow for all the keto adaptions to still help while providing a glycogen source for the hard efforts.

All this really excites me and thanks for everyone for providing this great discussion.

18. Barry

Barry New Member

Peter Attia isn't doing FST or CT..

19. JamesC

JamesC New Member

That is why I am wondering what it can do..

20. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator