1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

My Adrenal Stress Profile

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by seanb4, Feb 13, 2015.

1. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Hi guys,

Got my adrenal stress profile results and am looking for help interpreting them.

Main takeaways are:
    -High morning cortisol
    -Low noon cortisol
    -Low DHEA throughout
    -Low DHEA to cortisol
    -Low Secretory IgA

Any advice or further analysis of results would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

3. high in the AM and low other times is sort of a maladaption pattern, it is suggestive of adrenal fatigue but before the onset of total adrenal exhaustion

what time are you waking up?

4. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Bed 9-10pm, wake up 7-9am.

Sleep is okay but not good, usually wake up in night.
    Use magnetico, no blue lights after sunset, etc.

I am going to start taking pregnenolone and dhea in high doses for a few months then get retested I think.

5. let us know how you get on with that

6. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Total cortisol =39.8(21-41) (plenty of cortisol, badly re-distributed)

You may want to do 24hr urine cortisol (to double check).
    Anyhow
    it may not hurt to take some PS-phophatidyl-serine for a while and observe how you react to it. Expect/hope lowering morning reading and raising noon's.

If it helps, consider:
    Variety of phospholipid supplementation (cell and specially mitochondrial membranes)
    and
    fatty acid analysis + corrective actions
    At labcorp or mayo clinic this test:

Fatty Acid Profile, Comprehensive (C8-C26), Serum

---------------
    I use:
    1/day Doctor's Best Natural Brain Enhancers Featuring GPC & PS
    1/day Citocoline CDP Choline Jarrow
    4/day PC from bodybio.com (may even consider injections of Lipostabil)
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=lipostabil
    google PK Protocol

Wish I had more precise way of figuring phospholipid status/defficiency.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    seanb4 likes this.
  7. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

To expand on this and maybe give further insight, all my symptoms are far worse after eating.

So maybe cortisol starts off good (taken before breakfast), thanks to sleep, but then all gets used up on the internal stresses my body faces upon eating. This would explain why my noon cortisol (low) is the opposite of morning which was high.

DHEA would then be low thanks to the chronic internal stress of digestion. The poor digestion increases stress, and stress makes poor digestion worse.

I have been taking 200mg pregnenolone over the last 5 days. So far headaches, sore throat, and palps. I assume it is causing dehydration somehow when rebalancing the adrenal hormones. Would be useful finding my T3. I plan on staying at 200mg for a few more days and see if it balances out and removes dehydration symptoms, if not reduce to 50mg. Will hold off on DHEA for now.

8. Penny

Penny New Member

I take Doctor's Best phosphatidyl serine and Solgar phosphatidyl choline before bed - helps with memory and is very calming -

Curious, did you ever do that American Gut stool test?

seanb4 likes this.
  9. kovita

kovita Gold

Sean, 200mg of pregnenolone to start with is MASSIVE dose. If I were you i would not go so harsh, because of many reasons and between them you do not know wher is your pregnenolone preferentially shuttleted and ypu do not want to supress completely your own pregnenolone production. I find your explanation of the root cause of your issues very reasonable, I know you are constantly trying to improve/heal your digestion. I am not sure for how long have you been doing it, how consistently, how is your environment, history etc. i just want to say keep on working on it, it ,ust start to pay back one day,

seanb4 likes this.
  10. Ake Bono

Ake Bono New Member

I'm not sure if I asked this before (cause I was reading your journal a bit)
    but did you have the chance to test for gut issues? if yes what were the findings?
    Im wondering if this reaction of yours its happening with every food no matter what?

I have similar issues due to chronic infections. I mean cortisol high, dhea low, sigA low...
    also developed histamine intolerance & mast cell activation and allergic reaction.
    Some foods stress me alot and almost instantly some are ok. the cooked food are usually ok.

I think @kovita is right. try lowering dose ...just curious why do you take pregnenolone and not dhea?
    I was adviced to take dhea for too high cortisol and low dhea.
    again i second kovita on tis "not know wher is your pregnenolone preferentially shuttleted"

seanb4 likes this.
  11. Penny

Penny New Member

seanb4 likes this.
  12. Josh

Josh Gold

I recall JanSZ mentioning that he takes doses as high as 400mg DHEA and 900mg Pregnenolone. Perhaps ask him for a counterpoint on the low dose approach. Based upon pregnenolone and all hormones being a proxy for proton tunnelingthrough the mitochondrial membrane or the lack therof, there may be more to think about than what mainstream anti-aging docs, etc. consider...

Penny and seanb4 like this.
  13. Josh

Josh Gold

[​IMG]

seanb4 likes this.
  14. Josh

Josh Gold

[​IMG]

seanb4 likes this.
  15. Josh

Josh Gold

16. Josh

Josh Gold

[​IMG]

(a) Phylogentic tree of the melastatin subfamily of TRP channels. Note that TRPM3 is the closest relative of the founding member melastatin (TRPM1). (b) Pregnenolone is synthesized from cholesterol and is considered to be the prohormone of all steroid hormones. 17[​IMG]-hydroxylase activity converts pregnenolone to 17-hydroxypregnenolone (170H-pregnenolone) and converts progesterone to 170H-progesterone. DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) is converted to testosterone and oestrogenes. Sulphonation of pregnenolone leads to the formation of PS, a robust TRPM3 agonist. (c) Some of the positive effects attributed to pregnenolone, explaining its epithet 'fountain of youth'.

http://www.nature.com/ncb/journal/v10/n12/fig_tab/ncb1208-1383_F1.html

seanb4 likes this.
  17. Josh

Josh Gold

http://www.jlr.org/content/52/12/2111.full.pdf+html

seanb4 likes this.
  18. Josh

Josh Gold

19. Josh

Josh Gold

[​IMG]

seanb4 likes this.
  20. Josh

Josh Gold

[​IMG]

Fig. 4.
    (A) CYP11A1–Adx interface. CYP11A1–Adx contacts involve the interaction domain (F helix) and loop surrounding the Adx [2Fe-2S] cluster (yellow) and occur on the proximal surface of CYP11A1 (green). Direct hydrogen bonds between residues Lys109CYP11A1-Ala45Adx,, Trp418CYP11A1-Leu80Adx, and water-mediated hydrogen bonds, including residues Met120CYP11A1-Thr49Adx and Met120CYP11A1-Ala51Adx are displayed. Dashed lines indicate salt bridges and H-bonding interactions; water molecules are represented as small red spheres. (B) Predicted electron-transfer pathway from the [2Fe-2S] cluster to the heme iron proceeds from Fe1 of the [2Fe-2S] cluster via side- and main-chain atoms of Cys52Adx and Ala51Adx, through-space jump (3 Å), Gln422CYP11A1, Cys423CYP11A1 to the heme iron.

http://www.pnas.org/content/108/25/10139/F4.expansion.html

seanb4 likes this.