1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Must I skip morning exercise before break-fast?

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Benjamin Stone, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Benjamin Stone

Benjamin Stone New Member

I wake to watch the sun rise with my feet planted on the wet ground each morning.

Typically, I do 100 pushups, 100 squats, in 5 sets, while watching the sunrise, and then go for a short 1 mile walk.

Prior to discovering Dr. Kruse, I would then train fasted around 9-10am and break my overnight fast around 11-1130am.

I am experimenting now with training in the late afternoon (per Dr. Kruse the optimal window) - I don't like it, but will see if it likes me and results in better body composition ;-)

It is hard to eat within 30 minutes of the sun rising but I am going to try this summer. I am so accustomed to eating later (typically 11am and 5pm)

My question: I know Dr. Kruse advises against raising cortisol with fasted exercise in his book I have just read, but would the relatively low impact pushups and squats really count in a meaningful way against this? Its just part of a morning routine I would rather not break, to do this on waking while watching sun rise.

Thanks for any answers in advance!

2. Barry

Barry New Member

Benjamin

your question is a classic "all about context"

if you're healthy and fit... then eating within 30mins is not necessary nor advantageous for you

plus, your comment "I don't like it"...... means it won't work for you

Jack has no skin in the game when it comes to exercise.... people and Jack have to accept that

just calling a spade a spade

Benjamin Stone and Danco3636 like this.
  3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

If you are Leptin sensitive to AM light........you can avoid the BAB and just eat in the AM to control the peripheral clock gene mechanism with food......it is an adjunct to the melanopsin retinol system in the skin and eye. Barry would know that but he thinks exercise control way more then it does. It is only an adjunct for autophagy and apoptosis when you get light right first.

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

shiran likes this.
  5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

When you do not understand melanopsin and retinol operations things like this happen and no one has the answers........black swan mitochondriacs do however know why it happens.

[​IMG]

Many wise people are stuck at stages before they awaken..........

Benjamin Stone likes this.
  6. Penny

Penny New Member

I think doing yoga - actually, now that I think about it, ever heard of the Yoga sun salutes - might be a good call -

Alex97232 likes this.
  7. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

I may be stuck but my results and n=1 says keep going. I’m with Barry on this one. With skin in the game.

I think as humans movement is greatly important. We are creatures designed to move. Perhaps designing it as excercise is a nonsense term used and the aproach is flawed but excercise connected as movement in a fractal aproach to enhance one mitocondrial in a healthy way is important.
    Also diet but set In a cercadian cycle linked to our enviroment and zip code is important. Eat like a great white and live like a polar bear goes a long way. Once healthy from doing much of what Jack says it goes a long ways to enhance the effect with tweaks to optimal. Things change and much more can be had beyond just health.

Supplements. Agreed the more we chase through diet the better the delivery and result. Hence the epi Paleo RX.

For me it’s always tending to our mitochondria but in the context of desired result be it performance or health. At least from my n=1, skin in the game and overall results.

I can do much more than most can do at 1/2 my age. And I’m 54 years you young.

I fallow the 3 legged stool and Jack’s insights. I do eat within the light cycle’s.
    I skip breakfast and workout mostly fasted.
    I eat my last meal before dark.
    I love to move/ excercise.

8. Benjamin Stone

Benjamin Stone New Member

Thanks everyone.

Prior to discovering Dr. Kruse's body of work I became aware of eTRF benefits via Bill Lagakos blogging. I was interested in trying it, and this interest was cemented after reading about light in the Epi-Paleo RX book and further on this site. I will likely carry on with the light fasted calisthenics in the morning and experiment with training in the afternoon for the next two weeks to see how it goes.

I recreationally weight train and HIIT 3-4x week, and hike 3-4X week with good elevation gain for a few hours.

I am in reasonably good shape but like many who are here I have a few issues that I need to address to improve my health. I have been going out of my way to get light exposure and CT via swimming in a cool lake the past 2-3 weeks and will continue to do so.

How does one know if they are optimally leptin sensitive to AM light?

9. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Traditional yoga was/is done in the early morning on an empty stomach. Certain postures apply gentle pressure to glands and organs and “stoke the digestive fire” before breakfast. I think where modern yoga fails is that it is mostly done indoors. And of course the recommended vegetarian diet is no longer optimal. (I wonder if it was, back before nnEMF?)

Danco3636 likes this.
  10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

exercise has a role........but those who have defective mitochondria when they begin need to be wary of it.......that is the point you must get. That has never been Barry's issue or his clients issue so he just glosses over it.

I get all comers here and my clients are sicker than shit.

11. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

I rise and do sun salutations each morning at sunrise fasted. It’s apart of my morning routine. . Either pre or post CT. Sometimes both.
    I don’t kill it. Just a cycle of around three with some other movement as I feel. Sometimes climbing a tree or MovNat fun stuff.
    I hit all three.
    Magnetism- grounding
    Light - am sun
    Water - drink cold water before and a dunk for CT in an ice bath.
    Coupled with movement.

Food doesn’t really matter at this time and comes later - seafood for sure will be had.

12. Barry

Barry New Member

things are different when your clients are sicker than shit....

hence why I told Benjamin that his question was all about context

Danco3636 likes this.