1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

MT's Journey back to Nature!

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Michael Thompson, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson New Member

Hello, I thought this place would be a great place to share my journal, thanks for the opportunity, as I feel these things must be documented! I was born in Chicago, but we soon moved to Minnesota because of my Dads work.
    I had a significant health challenge, it was severe bilateral hip dysplasia. the way I was positioned in the womb did not allow my hips to form properly. it took four years of traction and many surgeries before I was finally able to take my first steps.
    I fell in love with the outdoors soon after, and was outside all the time. I believed that greatly enhanced the healing process and soon I would run and play like other young boys, though I never could walk perfectly because one leg was longer than the other.
    Fortunately, I grew up before internet, computers, and video games, so I got my entertainment from nature, learning about bugs and trees and how to catch and eat fish, swimming, rolling in the mud, taking naps in the grass.
    I would be shirtless and barefoot all summer, never had sunglasses, or even heard of sunscreen, and was outside all day in the winter no matter how cold it got.
    So basically I was a little nature boy haha, and did not even know how it was keeping me healthy. I was just like the Lion and Hippo that Dr. Kruse talks about on some of his videos!
    So why am I calling it, Journey BACK to nature? what happened? I will share how I gradually became disconnected in my next post.
    until then....

Get Outdoors!

2. Michael Thompson

Looking back I think the disconnect started in public school. we had our classes under florescent lights all day. that looked unnatural and flickering. I got used to it, or so I thought, but I did start becoming more depressed, with symptoms of ADD and aspergers. unfortunately after done with school, I started working indoors a lot as well. I still got outdoors a lot mostly on evenings and weekends, but now I was "smart" and started protecting myself from dreaded sun exposure with sunscreen and sunglasses, never getting much tan, and always joking how I my legs were so white I should just put a tag on my toe since I was a walking corpse!

OliverGruener2 and drezy like this.
  3. drezy

drezy Gold

I had a similar experience and now spend as much time as I can to catch back up. My 5th grade building had horrendous lighting and I had headaches the whole year. I eventually connected the dots and got tinted glasses since I still had 20/20 vision.

Luckily I was always too lazy to bother with sunscreen though.

I hope you continue to tan up some.

caroline likes this.
  4. Michael Thompson

Hi Drezy. you are fortunate, I ended up getting myopia by the time I was 18, and it only got worse when I became addicted to the internet. I never was too concerned about it, so what, i got to wear glasses, no big deal, so i thought. now I am sad to find out that I am not able to capture light properly. I take my glasses off now to look at the morning sun, but everything gets so blurry.
    I do plan on tanning up a lot. parts of my body saw the sun that never have before already, and spring is just starting haha

caroline likes this.
  5. drezy

drezy Gold

There are several people that have posted here about their eyesight improvements. I think there's hope for you yet.

caroline and Michael Thompson like this.
  6. Michael Thompson

when I was a youngster running around in the sun ali day mostly naked, I could eat tremendous amounts of food, good and junk, and stay lean, everyone said I must have a hollow leg, lol. when my habits and environment changed, in my 20s, I started showing it in the middle, and in my 30s, became obese! I just thought it was normal, my metabolism is suppose to slow when I got older. I tried many diets, and exercise, and would do the yo yo, lose weight easy, but then would gain it back again, got to my heaviest at 220 pounds (5ft 7 inches) and soon I started having bad hip pain. finally after needing a cane at 40, I went to see the Dr. Xrays revealed I had wore out all the cartilage in my right hip, and my left was getting thin too. He had me see a orthopedic surgeon, who wanted to cut on me right away and do a metal resurfacing on my right hip. he seemed a little too eager to try it out on me, and I chickened out, thank goodness! I found out later I would have been his only second attempt at this very difficult procedure! I went to get another opinion from a surgeon who had much more experience with hip resurfacing, and he said he could do it, but thought a total hip replacement would be a better option that would help correct my 3 inch leg length discrepancy as well. He also threw in the option to wait, and try to lose some weight and see if that would help. I jumped on that one, got a ibuprofen prescription and headed out the door with new resolve.

caroline likes this.
  7. Michael Thompson

I woke up this morning to the sound of rain on the roof. No sunrise for me. I decided to get out anyhow, went to the park with my rain parka and shorts, bare foot, hoping to gather some free electrons :) the wet grass was cold, but bearable, walked down to the beach at the local lake. The ice has receded from shore a couple feet, so I waded in a bit. The ice water stung pretty harsh. I am more cold adapted than the average minnesotans, but I am not ready to do an ice swim Haha. 20190406_071710.jpg

caroline likes this.
  8. Michael Thompson

I ended up trying all sorts of diets to try and get the extra weight off my bad hips. I would think I had it down, but would not be able to sustain them and I would yo yo back up. Little did i know my night time internet addiction was hindering me a lot! I got into the habit almost 20 years ago, I would come home from work in the evening, eat, then jump online, often staying up past midnight, surfing the web, and soaking up lots of man made blue light. I went to a plant based almost vegan whole food diet, and thought I found one that worked. I lost my excess weight, and felt better. I stayed on it great for a year, but then I caught lyme disease and anaplasmosis, almost dying from dehydration and low blood pressure! After I was treated, I tried to stay plant based, but it was not seeming to work anymore. I finally gave up and started to get fat again, but now I was also having symptoms of diabetes, like pins and needles in my feet, high blod pressure, a big belly, and more. after suffering about a year, and just hanging on, I decided to try diet one last time, this time keto and one meal a day. surprisingly it worked great. in 6 months I got a healthy waist size, and normal weight, and a lot of the symptoms of diabetes faded away, plus my hips got feeling way better due to less inflammation, and I no longer needed any ibuprofen! after about 6 months, I transitioned to more zero carb, and felt even better. I was thinking this might be the best it gets! I have successfully maintained my healthy weight loss for over a year. some issues remained though, waking up many times every night, either insomnia, or having to pee, day time sleepiness, constipation. I was always convinced it was food I needed to tweek my diet, it must be, so I was always listening to food gurus podcasts, hoping to find out more I could do. I was listening to my favorite carnivore you tuber, Bart Kay one day this winter, and he had a guest on, Dr. Jack Kruse, who was saying we should be a light guru instead of a food guru! I thought that was way off, since diet really helped me so much. I knew getting some sun was important because it helped with getting vitamin D, and with my mood, but that was about as far as I knew. Fortunately, I was curious to find out WTF was his deal with light, and learned there is way more to it than I could ever imagine...

Bob Stirling and caroline like this.
  9. caroline

caroline Moderator

loving your journal Michael.....keep going!

Michael Thompson likes this.
  10. Michael Thompson

I started listing to every podcast that Jack was on, and anything to do with light and mitochondria. I got motivated to start using light, water and magnetism, to get reconnected with nature. I started out with watching sunrises every morning, and got some blue blocker glasses for indoor lights and computer use, plus iris app. I didn't feel anything at first, but slowly I noticed my mood improving some. There was no way i thought I would ever even try to kick my night time internet habit, so i just used my glasses, plus iris, to protect against blue light. I started getting sleepier at night, then one night I got home from work, and didn't even turn on my computer! Pretty soon I had gone a week with no night time internet, then a month, my habit of almost 20 years, gone! Just morning light, and blue light protection stopped it completely! i now go to bed early and wake up an hour before sunrise automatically! I also have found some great spring water coming out of rocky cliffs at a state park where I trout fish. I am trying to connect to the earth more, via walking barefoot too, and have noticed improvement in my joints. I did learn I need to watch were I walk when it is freezing cold, because people will call the cops on me lol, not illegal, but I guess people thought I was drunk or something I guess. I am still having issues with waking up too often in the night, thirsty, or have to pee or both. healthy eating didnt fix this problem. I now suspect nnEMF, after all I learned the last few months. i live in a city highly populated with houses packed together like over a dozen per block. plus over 20 cell towers in three square mile area. bright blue street lights every block, that make me think it is morning everytime I wake up. Last an not least, we are a few blocks away from a military training base, that I bet is emitting all kinds of invisible goodies for me to absorb. I got to get out of here, I learned that getting well is only possible by changing my environment. I found a fishing buddy has a room for rent 30 miles north, in a far less populated area with a big nice wooded yard. Moving day is may 1st! I cannot hardly wait!

11. caroline

caroline Moderator

a military base is deadly.....

BTW - I like your style ....happy moving day!

12. Michael Thompson

Thank you! I am glad someone is enjoying these, if I inspire just one person it makes it worth the time! may 27 sunset 2 (1 of 1).jpg

Anne V and caroline like this.
  13. Michael Thompson

I found out about a fantastic place in south east Minbesota, beaver creek state park. A spring fed creek way down in a valley, loaded with delicious wild trout. Cell phones dont work there. I used to get frustrated at that, but now I welcome a break from that pollution! The creak stays at 50 degrees all summer and winter from the springs, and plenty of wonderful drinking water flowing out from the rocks! 20190413_150735.jpg 20190414_155946.jpg FB_IMG_1555275984668.jpg

Bob Stirling and drezy like this.
  14. Bob Stirling

Bob Stirling Silver

Good for you! I'm sure you will find huge benefits at your new location.

15. Michael Thompson

I am hopeful for sure! I spent the day at a state park where there is no cell phone reception and was barefoot most of the time and felt awesome, then getting home and waking up this morning and my achy joints and gut returned. but only 10 days til moving day!

16. Michael Thompson

My Kinikis arrived this week, and tried them out at the state park, got lots of sun, now I can say there is no part of my body that the sun has not shined on! Also took a great dip at big spring, filled some jugs, and caught some fresh wild brown trout! april20troutspring (1 of 1).jpg april20troutspring4 (1 of 1).jpg

drezy and Anne V like this.
  17. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian