1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

MTHFR, HS-CRP, thyroid, B12, homocysteine

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by Cuffy, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

I received the remainder of my lab results today. Disappointed.

Note: I've been eating an AIP Paleo diet for 6 months and have been improving my environeent for almost as long (sunrise, sun and fresh air, daily CT, grounding/earthing, minimizing blue light/nnEMFs, and eating lots of seafood). But clearly something is amiss.​

MTHFR mutation [H]
    • Positive for 2 copies of the C677T variant (MTHFR T677T = homozygous mutation of the same mutant allele, which is considered severe)
    • Negative for A12298C variant
    A potential future of brain atrophy, yay! https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3757723/

Homocysteine [H] 17.0 umol/L (3.7-13.9). No surprise, I guess, given the MTHFR mutation.

Vitamin B12 445 pg/mL (211-911)

HS-CRP 25.290 mg/L (<1.0 low, 1.0-3.0 average, >3.0 high)
    ^ WTactualF! I must re-read what Dr Kruse has said about high levels of HS-CRP. I skimmed it in his book because I didn't think it applied to me, given months on a low inflammatory lifestyle. My vitamin D levels were good (99) when measured in August.

TSH 2.43 uIU/mL (0.55-4.78) was 1.76 two months earlier
    Free T4 1.08 ng/dL (0.89-1.76) lower quartile
    Free T3 2.9 pg/mL (2.3-4.2) <-- poor conversion?
    TgAA <15 U/mL (<60)
    TPO <28 (<60)
    Antibodies are below range, but not negative.

==============================================================================
    EDIT:
    Adding blood work drawn on 09 Aug (fasted).

CBCNODIFF
    WBC: 7.6 10*3/mm3 (4.5-11.0)
    RBC 4.39 10*6/mm3 (4.00-5.20)
    Hemoglobin 13.9 g/dL (12.0-16.0)
    Hematocrit 44.4% (36-46%)
    Platelet 278 K/mm3 (150-450)
    MCV [H] 101 fL (80.0-100.0) I've been told I have macrocytosis, my mother has it, too.
    MCH 31.7 pg (260-34.0)
    MCHC 31.3% (31.0-37.0)
    RDW 14.5% (11.5-14.5)
    Mean PLT volume 10.0 um*3 (7.4-10.4)

COMMP
    Sodium 143 mEq/L (135-145)
    Potassium 4.3 mEq/L (3.5-5.5)
    Chloride 108 mEq/L (99-113)
    Carbon dioxide 28 mEq/L (20.0-31.0)
    Anion gap 7 mEq/L (2-13)
    Glucose 103 mg/dL (74-106)
    BUN 14 mg/dL (9-23)
    Creatinine 0.8 mg/dL (0.5-0.8)
    GFR estimated >60 ml/min/1.73m2
    Calcium 9.4 mg/dL (8.3-10.6)
    Total protein 6.4 g/dL (5.7-8.2)
    Albumin 4.1 g/dL (3.2-4.8)
    Globulin 2.3 g/dL (1.5-3.1)
    ALC/glob ratio 1.8 (no reference range given)
    Bilirubin, total 0.5 mg/dL (0.3-1.2)
    Akaline phosphatase 81 U/L (46-116)
    AST (SGOT) 18 U/L (13-40)
    ALT (SGPT) 19 U/L (7-40)

Lipid panel (fasting)
    Cholesterol [H] 225 mg/dL (125-200) -- down from 310
    Triglycerides 97 mg/dL (0-150) -- down from 135
    HDL 41 mg/dL (40-60) -- down from 51
    LDL [H] 165 mg/dL (40-130) -- down from 232
    CHOL/HDL ratio [H] 5.5 (1.5-5.0) -- down from 6.1

HbA1c 5.6% (4.0-6.0) -- down from 5.9%
    Estimated avg glucose 114 mg/dL

25-Hydroxy D 99 ng/mL -- up from 35 (20-100 ng/mL)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Hang in there—you’ll figure it out!

I almost don’t want to know my labs—appointment next week.

Cuffy likes this.
  3. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Homocysteine [H] 17.0 umol/L (3.7-13.9). No surprise, I guess, given the MTHFR mutation.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I would like to underline the words you said:
    given the MTHFR mutation
    that
    may set you (mind) back more than it should.
    that
    may lead you toward highly expensive hacks of dubious value, that will drain any valet, bigger valets faster
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/pg-e2-ratio.6427/page-4#post-199957

[​IMG]

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

https://www.amazon.com/Thorne-Resea...6426&sprefix=thorne+mthf+15+mg,aps,143&sr=8-4

upload_2019-10-12_12-8-41.png

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  4. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

Thanks, @JanSz. I like Thorne supplements and take their magnesium citramate and D3/K2 oil. I'm not as worried about the MTHFR mutation, but I am feeling a bit nervous about my extremely elevated HS-CRP number.

5. JanSz

JanSz Gold

That is why I wrote this (below).
    Recheck your HS-CRP
    AFTER
    you see your homocysteine at 6.
    =========================

upload_2019-10-13_10-58-36.png

6. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

Will do. I'm seeing the naturopath tomorrow, and am looking forward to the discussion. Based on all the combined recent test results, I see (minimally) glutamine and 5-MTHF added to my supplement list. Possibly butyric acid, like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00014GCMK

I also need to research if there are any supplements, such a pancreatic enzymes, that are contraindicated with a MTHFR mutation.

As far as expensive hacks of dubious value, I am in complete agreement with you to be cautious. I prefer to heal naturally (food, water, light, CT, earthing, quiet time, etc.), instead of chasing an elusive fix. Been there done that.

7. JanSz

JanSz Gold

8. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

Thanks for posting the screen shot. I took butyric acid for over a year, but I stopped taking it last spring, thinking my gut was healed.

I grossly underestimated how hormonally deranged I am and how long it may take me to heal.

I've gone back to the very first webinar in 2012 and am slowly working forward, getting quite the education. A sad one (permit me a small pity-party moment, based on what I am hearing about Hashimoto's), but I won't waste too much time feeling sorry for myself. I'd like to avoid cancer and Alzheimer's, and I want the next few decades to be vigorous and vital. So I'll do what it takes, as soon as I figure out what that is. ;)

First step is going back on the Leptin Reset Rx + Leaky Gut Rx. I thought I was ready to move on from the Leptin Reset, but not with HS-CRP levels like I have.

JanSz and MITpowered26 like this.
  9. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

Naturopath just texted me to cancel my appontment tomorrow!

Oh, well. A reschedule will give me time to research and approach our consult with more informed questions, which should help maximize my time with her.

10. DrEttinger

DrEttinger Choice, the only thing we control

Post your CBC results - WBC's, Lymphocytes, Neutrophils, Monocytes, RBC's, MCV, and Hemoglobin.

JanSz likes this.
  11. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

Thanks, @DrEttinger, I added CBC, COMMP, and lipid panel (fasted) to my original post.

12. JanSz

JanSz Gold

MCV [H] 101 fL (80.0-100.0) I've been told I have macrocytosis, my mother has it, too.
    A high mean corpuscular volume (MCV) could point to hypothyroidism, B12 or folic acid deficiency

Since you have
    Homocysteine [H] 17.0 umol/L (3.7-13.9)

It overshadows most indicators.
    Good idea to make attempt to correct that first.

Cuffy likes this.
  13. DrEttinger

Without your Lymphocyte and Neutrophil count, I can't be 100% sure, but your elevated CRP is most likely due to acute/subacute infection (bacterial [most likely] or viral), not systemic inflammation like from an autoimmune disease.

Cuffy likes this.
  14. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

I'm not sure why Lymphocyte and Neutrophil counts were excluded. Are those part of the CBC with differential test?

Aside from hip pain while I am in bed every night (inflammation), I don't feel infected. I hope it isn't Lyme.

I also had a stool analysis (results attached), and, if I am reading it correctly, the parasitology was negative for bugs.

15. DrEttinger

If your naturopath is worth his/her salt, just hang-on until you can see him/her. Your labs show a lot is going on and this is not the place to do justice to them or you.

Cuffy likes this.
  16. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

Also, now that the allergies have stopped and my sleep isn't wrecked on a daily basis, I no longer feel like I am living a half life. I am still far from optimal, but most days I feel good, some days great. Perhaps I've just grown accustomed to low energy, but I am especially excited to confront my mutant genes and heal my primary issues if it means improved vitality, health, grey matter, energy, and fat loss.

17. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

Thank you, and I agree. It's one reason I haven't started intense research or thrown a bunch of supplements at myself.

Even though this naturopath is a vegan, and her practice offers veggie detoxes (ugh), she seems very smart, capable, and curious. I think she'll be willing to work with me as a partner, not just as a patient who should quietly do as I am told.

18. DrEttinger

The fact that she's a vegan speaks volumes. For example, how will she be able or willing to recommend beef for B12, iron, choline,... or Seafood for EPA/DHA instead of supplements that she has to take? She better be one badass biochemist with a willingness to put personal beliefs aside and offer both supplemental and correct dietary advice to handle your issues. If she goes vegan on you, I'd find another practitioner.

Tara.P, drezy, Cuffy and 1 other person like this.
  19. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

I'd be lying if I didn't admit this is a major concern that I've been suppressing. Every single time I ignore those gut feelings (I'm InTJ), I regret it.

The pickings are really slim in my area. I did bring up her veganism during the initial consult. I said, "I've read your blog and extrapolated that you are a vegan. Before we proceed, I need to tell you that I have zero interest in a vegan diet, which I do not believe is a natural diet for humans, and it certainly won't work for me." What I didn't say to her (because I'm polite) is that you'd either have to live in a tropical climate where plants grow yearround or in a post-industrial society like ours with plenty of discretonary income. Veganism is a luxury.

Now I am wondering if I should proceed. How can she be a badass biochemist if she chooses to eat suboptimal, nutrient-lacking foods? Since I am paying out of pocket, I may need to consider a remote consult with someone.

I saw another naturopath a few years ago who put me on a Detox Challenge diet, written in collaboration with the Institute for Functional Medicine. The diet recommended lean animal protein (skinless chicken and apex predator marine life), plant protein, protein powder, almond and rice milk, hemp and flax seed, canola (!) oil, pseudo grains, nuts, and nightshades. How is that considered an elimination diet? I ate my usual fatty proteins and above-ground veggies, and promptly discontinued our professional association.

One would assume Boston+suburbs might offer many great options, but I haven't found one yet. I had an exellent doctor, but she moved to SC a few years ago after her practice was crushed by HMOs. She was a great doctor in a bad industry.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  20. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

If anyone has recommendations for NPs who do remote consults, I'm interested.

I'd request a consult with Dr. Kruse, but I can't fly, so that's out.