1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Moving Through Time in a State of Flow (Alpha and Theta Brain Waves)

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by yewwei.tan, Aug 5, 2014.

1. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

During a state of flow, one experiences a heightening of creativity and all-round brain productivity. The brain also seems to use more of the lower frequency alpha and theta waves, as opposed to the beta waves in "normal waking consciousness".

During such a state, I personally feel that I can subjectively perceive a lot more within a shorter time span, but yet time passes by without any sense of boredom.

Does time move slower or faster for an individual in flow? I would think that time passes slower, but yet always hear quips like "time flies when you're having fun", or "the hours just slipped by" (when in a flow state).

---
    And not that I have the desire not the means to try this out, but is it possible to trigger a flow state by having an external alpha wave generator to "force the brain to use alpha waves"?

Essentially, I'm trying to understand if the frequency that we detect coming out from the brain is the actual cause of the function that we see (high creativity states), or if it is just an artefact of some other underlying function.

Curves likes this.
  2. i think the hours slip by because your own time slows
    the sense of enjoyment makes the experience long lived, but the chronological time went fast by you
    i guess maybe you slowed your own sense of time

Curves likes this.
  3. the sleep on command device has an alert setting that entrains alpha and theta, i found it worked, and i believe it is of little danger because the gauss is so low, even though its pulsed. so too is schumann and alpha and theta waves, obviously

4. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

That's what I'm thinking as well :) Maybe that's why Stephen King is still alive today after all those packs of cigarettes inhaled while enthralled in the creation of a new story ....

Great! The brain is then obviously able to come into resonance with "an external source of brain waves".