1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Morning Sun: How orange?

Discussion in 'Heal Your Hormones' started by Discolemonade, May 22, 2019.

1. Discolemonade

Discolemonade New Member

I live in Washington DC where the sun currently rises at 5:50 AM. I live in an area where there are lots of trees and it's not possible to gaze at the morning sun until about 6:30. By that time the sun is already kind of yellow. I usually spend about 30 minutes (630-7) each morning outside sun gazing. Question is, do I get the same benefits beginning the sun gaze when the sun is already yellow, or must it begin when the sun is orange?

ElectricUniverse likes this.
  2. ElectricUniverse

ElectricUniverse New Member

I like people who are observant and pay attention. Most folks are on autopilot throughout their day.

I believe Dr Kruse remarked that the color spectrum of sun's rays change depending on its elevation (time of day). As I recall, you get more red in morning and evening, while blue is predominant at midday.

As far as actual visual color (color temperature) of sun, these days I've noticed it is mostly a brilliant white. I am old enough to remember when observed sun color was bright yellow or orange.

I've heard the sun's color has is changing due to altered output or composition in solar radiation (sun is going into a quiet period known as a Grand Solar Minimum).

I have observed also that sun's rays feel a more hot intensity, so much so that I can't stay in sun with bare skin long without feeling uncomfortably hot on skin. That is apparently due to change in composition of sun's EM spectrum (more ultraviolet rays, for example?) In any case, our dear old star is not the friendly sun I remember as a child.

3. KrystleSky

KrystleSky New Member

Fascinating @ElectricUniverse! I'm new to all this and lucky it's a mild time of year here in Aus, but I'm wondering how I'm going to get sun exposure through Summer without frying.

4. Sue-UK

Sue-UK New Member

I'd get out in time for 5.50 a.m. and look up in the sky in the direction of the sun. If you can see sky, even if its covered in grey cloud, there's enough photons to signal, and your brain will also register the colour transition as it moves towards the solar elevation that includes more yellow. The reverse transition happens at sunset, going from yellow down to the sunset frequencies. The easiest way to think of it is that the sunrise frequencies turn on hormone switches, and when the yellow and UV turn up they turn them off, or at least adjust the volume dependent on season. In terms of the day/night cycle, seeing the sunrise (and sunset, before bed or blue blocking) also helps the brain register day length. :)

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

you need to develop your sun callous ......that is why being out at sunrise is so important.

6. ElectricUniverse

Thanks for the advice, but I don't want a hard sun callous. As I have always said, moderation in all things, including sun exposure. I know that will shock my fellow Krusians.

7. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

I am not shocked. I would however consider carefully how much sun I can be exposed to without risk and whether this time can be sufficient for your optimal wellbeing.

caroline likes this.
  8. ElectricUniverse

It would be an optimal world to know what is optimal in all our health endeavors. Alas, it is always a moving target and a work in progress.

9. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

I agree, but it is actually why I said what I said. Measure evaluate constantly.

caroline likes this.
  10. caroline

caroline Moderator

I don't understand what you mean by a "hard sun callous"??

11. Why not just go out at 5:50AM? Even if you cant see it through the trees you are getting ambient light, are you not? If you see a glow on your legs and face you have light on you. Its more important to be out at sunrise. If you can stay out from 5:50-6:30 thats usually what I do.