1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Morning light bedding

Discussion in 'Biohacking 101' started by Scompy, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Scompy

Scompy Gold

I remember there was a practice 50+ years ago to take bedding out into the morning sunlight to 'shake out' dust and whatnot. At that time, it was thought (like a spawn from Benjamin Franklin's patterns) that it would help curb disease just like opening up the morning windows. Of course viruses can get fried up in sunlight. I got curious about that older practice and sadly, I've found thousands of articles about blocking out morning light as a modern-day theme, like this:

http://www.houzz.com/discussions/1007034/need-ideas-to-block-light-in-early-morning-for-this-window

Anyone have any good artiles on past-time behaviors of the benefits of putting out bedding into the morning light?

2. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Scompy likes this.
  3. My mom always wanted to hang the sheets to dry so the sun would make them cleaner. I'm curious about this too.

nicld and Scompy like this.
  4. Scompy

Scompy Gold

In 1994, I spent a summer in the northern part of Finland getting 20 hours of light every day. When I arrived in Finland, I was 275 pounds. When I got back to the states, I was 220 pounds and everyone was shocked what happened to me in 3 months. Additionally, I slept on an 'unplugged' water bed and was generally cold all night long (CT!). I also did a lot of jumping into an ice-cold swimming pool and using saunas. The relative I was staying with always dried sheets outside rather than using a conventional dryer. It's also common there to get sheets out into the morning sun. But be warned, the mosquitoes are as large as birds in Finland--the land of 10,000 lakes. :)

Curves likes this.
  5. nicld

nicld Gold

I LOVE putting my sheets out on the line.

fitness@home likes this.
  6. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

I looked into this a bit further and am beginning to think that it dates back to the times of the plague, a collective memory if you will. Pest! house inhabitants were given strict instructions to smoke their houses and air all their bedding. Ships entering harbours had to do the same airing their personal gear on deck before being g allowed to dock.

The German rule is that it works only in months without an R that is May to July .

7. Scompy

Scompy Gold

May -August ;)

Lahelada likes this.
  8. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

:D Lack of UV today...

Scompy likes this.
  9. Penny

Penny New Member

They were a lot smarter back then - they didn't waste anything -

Scompy likes this.
  10. Scompy

Scompy Gold

@Lahelada Light benefits are still there on the other side of the rain and clouds. Like the rest of you, I find great importance in knowing where the sun rises and moves through the sky behind cloudcover. And I just realized that I'm probably 0.274% of the population that actually could look up to a clouded-sky on any given day and point to the exact location of the sun.

@Penny Most of us take so many things for granted in 2015: our relationships and spouses, our children, our environment, etc. It's a sad thought, but I'm believing more and more that humanity has regressed from what it was 100-200 years ago. Do people wake up and attempt to practice a virtue for the day? Benjamin Franklin comes to mind again because one of his virtues was Frugality. (http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/06/01/the-virtuous-life-wrap-up/)

Hansen Kenimer likes this.
  11. Penny

Penny New Member

So are we supposed to go outside in the morning light even if it's a cloudy day?
    The clouds cover the UVA/UVB and leave the UVC which is a fail...

12. Scompy

Scompy Gold

I always get outside in the morning! Rain or shine! ;)

For UVC, I don't believe so... UVC never reaches earth, unless your under an ozone-depleted region perhaps, or maybe at super-high elevation as a possibility too. I don't think we need to worry about UVC unless it's manmade, like from a welding machine that can generate it.

Some of the UVB can be blocked by cloudcover, but it's not always the case due to conditions. UVA still penetrates well, like up to 60-80% on average based on the type of cloud-cover.

(Would love to get a second-pair of eyes on these statements if I'm misinformed).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  13. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Scompy likes this.
  14. Hansen Kenimer

Hansen Kenimer New Member

What I appreciate the most about "getting back to nature" is the sheer, intoxicating enjoyment one derives from the smallest things. The way the sun feels on your face, the intricate beauty of a flower, the smell of the grass as you lie in it soaking up the earth's energy, the warmth of a crackling fire. THESE simple things give us joy, as do our relationships....we no longer look for elusive happiness in "things" that culture tells us we need, or must attain to be considered "successful." I think frugality naturally arises from that disposition, as you know what is truly important, and it's things money just can't buy.

I think of Ben Franklin every day....I think it was he who said, "Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise."

15. Psyche

Psyche New Member

@Penny / @Scompy - Yes, to confirm, every morning has UV, even with cloud cover. I go out no matter what! I can't wait for the time change this year, which is something new for me. I've always dreaded it, but now it will be easier for me to get light in the morning.

@Hansen- what you are talking about is so lacking in society today. More Ben Franklin=less gun violence.

Scompy likes this.
  16. Penny

Penny New Member

thanks everyone for the info - so, if you're in the sun in the morning and just stay in the sun off and on all day, how bad is that?

Assume I'm tanned, relatively healthy, don't seem to burn unless it's *really* hot and I've been outside for 5 straight hours in the summertime ...

Also assume I eat seafood daily, drink tons of water and have epsom salts on my skin... in fact, I thought vitamin d was made at noon?

nicld likes this.
  17. Psyche

Psyche New Member

Not bad.Good. I would literally mainline sunshine if I could:p

18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

YES

19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

You can

thisbirdhaswings likes this.
  20. How so? If we are speaking about it technically, I could imagine using mirrors as a means to reflect the scattered photons and direct them towards our body.

Also made me think of this now put a red film over this and shine sunlight through... what would happen?

Brother John likes this.