1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

More muscle with fasting longer?

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Butters, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Butters

Butters New Member

I recently watched some videos about steroids and GH and about their functions.
    And because I now know, that GH is spiking during nighttime after leptin gets into the brain I think about methods to get more GH response.
    Now, when we eat not too late in the day and have no light disturbance, would GH rise earlier and last longer in the body? Do we have to go to sleep then early or do we get the effect without going to sleep earlier?
    So thinking about people talking about building muscle and loosing fat is only possible for training beginners maybe completely wrong, because simply people are giving their bodies the wrong signals in the wrong time (thinking about the carb loadings in the evening). Because when GH is high you build muscle AND burn fat, you cant help it. But when you blunt the response with carbs all day you of course get the anabolic responce of insulin but inhibit GH, so you get fat along with building muscle.
    Ideally in my opinion one must go for carbs in the morning and gradually go low carb/keto in the evening to get the anabolic effect from insulin in the morning AND the muscle building effect and fatburning effect from GH in the evening/night.
    And as I am writing this I realize thats what Jack is writing in the Rx for optimal body composition after the Leptin reset, LOL ;)
    But the actually question from the beginning remains. So if someone has some idea about it, let it out ;)

2. Barry

Barry New Member

GH is released during the slow wave or delta wave sleep. It doesn't matter what time you go to bed out. Just get your Circadian Clock sorted

everything else depends.... male/female, age, training, alcohol etc etc

regarding your other suggestion.... no one way or the other

look up John Keifer and carb backloading

Jenelle likes this.
  3. Butters

Butters New Member

Thx for the answer.
    Carb Backloading is finished for me. I read the stuff of Kiefer, but the fasting in the morning fucked up my rhythm.
    But I read it does matter in "Leptin the master hormone". Because GH is dependent on Leptin levels. The surges are opposite, when I remember right.

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I think Kiefer is interesting but he has a lot of mis aligned ideas when you consider the modern environment. Bill Lagokos of Calories proper used to be a big fan of Kiefer's but his posts over the last year really have taken him apart.

5. Butters

Butters New Member

Jo, I read the posts on calories proper. I had a past with carb backloading and Carb night, so I can tell it was not to my best. the idea of carb backloading itself it not really new. But I think the masses of carbs he advocates is really not doing a good favor. So its not for me.
    I know Kiefer suggests fasting in the morning and not to eat after waking up so ghrelin and GH can rise, because it states GH goes down as you eat. But he also advices little portions of fat during the morning and little meals after midday.

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Kiefer and Peat suffer from a lot of the same issues.........they rely heavily on flaw published biochemical studies and understand very little about the bio-physics of the organization of the organism.

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Mammals can build muscle using magnetic flux at night without light and food by using ketosis. They spare their muscles and use their fat as the source provided they are cooled and connected to the ground. This ability goes all the way back to 65 million years ago. Neil Billeaud and I had an interesting discussion about ATP, water, light, DHA and how mammals physiology changes during hibernation or during REM sleep: More complex mammals like humans have shrunk hibernation into some of our nightly sleep cycles Mammals are capable of transforming magnetic flux into a DC electric current using the tensegrity system of piezoelectric semiconductors using the inverse spin Hall effect. People have forgotten that Robert O. Becker wrote about this effect in bone in the 1960's. It directly ties to maintenance and strength of the entire muscle-skeletal system of mammals. The system has different sensitivities based upon the local environment of the mammal and species. This is why poor sleep and poor muscle mass are linked in humans.

8. Butters

Butters New Member

Who is Peat?

9. Barry

Barry New Member

Ray Peat

no one way works

look at Keifer and look at Jack..... who's it working for more ?

I'm not saying Keifer is best way...... its just one possible way

Bottom line: find out what works for you

try www.leangains.com

Danco3636 likes this.
  10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

IFing is excellent when you are leptin sensitive. Key is the light.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    Danco3636 and Kristi Lambert like this.
  11. Butters

Butters New Member

What do you mean with lingering?

12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

spell check Fasting.