1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Molecular Hydrogen/H2 - Ultimate Mitochondrial/Redox Compound?

Discussion in 'Mitochondrial Rx' started by bio-fractal-soul-self, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Hey there everyone - hope all is well! Have yet to make an intro post, but will in due time. Anyhow, before I get to doing a bit of work, I wanted to post about something that has been subtly mentioned before, though in different molecular forms and in a different context - hydrogen.

Hydrogen is very interesting. As I continue my journey studying science - and recovering my health - I plan on incorporating a lot more physics and chemistry into my curriculum so I can more readily grasp these things, make novel connections, etc. to help more people. Anyhow, since I've got some work to do, I'm going to just post some studies and what I find interesting, perhaps I can elaborate more later, and begin to ask everyone here for any available input.

Molecular hydrogen as a preventive and therapeutic medical gas: initiation, development and potential of hydrogen medicine

"Molecular hydrogen (H2) has been accepted to be an inert and nonfunctional molecule in our body. We have turned this concept by demonstrating that H2 reacts with strong oxidants such as hydroxyl radical in cells, and proposed its potential for preventive and therapeutic applications. H2 has a number of advantages exhibiting extensive effects: H2 rapidly diffuses into tissues and cells, and it is mild enough neither to disturb metabolic redox reactions nor to affect signaling reactive oxygen species; therefore, there should be no or little adverse effects of H2. There are several methods to ingest or consume H2; inhaling H2gas, drinking H2-dissolved water (H2-water), injecting H2-dissolved saline (H2-saline), taking an H2 bath, or dropping H2-saline into the eyes. The numerous publications on its biological and medical benefits revealed that H2 reduces oxidative stress not only by direct reactions with strong oxidants, but also indirectly by regulating various gene expressions. Moreover, by regulating the gene expressions, H2functions as an anti-inflammatory and anti-apoptotic, and stimulates energy metabolism. In addition to growing evidence obtained by model animal experiments, extensive clinical examinations were performed or are under investigation. Since most drugs specifically act to their targets, H2 seems to differ from conventional pharmaceutical drugs. Owing to its great efficacy and lack of adverse effects, H2 has promising potential for clinical use against many diseases."

[​IMG]

Jan Christer and yewwei.tan like this.
  2. Recent Progress Toward Hydrogen Medicine: Potential of Molecular Hydrogen for Preventive and Therapeutic Applications[​IMG]

"Persistent oxidative stress is one of the major causes of most lifestyle-related diseases, cancer and the aging process. Acute oxidative stress directly causes serious damage to tissues. Despite the clinical importance of oxidative damage, antioxidants have been of limited therapeutic success. We have proposed that molecular hydrogen (H2) has potential as a “novel” antioxidant in preventive and therapeutic applications [Ohsawaet al., Nat Med. 2007: 13; 688-94]. H2 has a number of advantages as a potential antioxidant: H2 rapidly diffuses into tissues and cells, and it is mild enough neither to disturb metabolic redox reactions nor to affect reactive oxygen species (ROS) that function in cell signaling, thereby, there should be little adverse effects of consuming H2. There are several methods to ingest or consume H2, including inhaling hydrogen gas, drinking H2-dissolved water (hydrogenwater), taking a hydrogen bath, injecting H2-dissolved saline (hydrogen saline), dropping hydrogen saline onto the eye, and increasing the production of intestinal H2 by bacteria. Since the publication of the first H2paper in Nature Medicine in 2007, the biological effects of H2 have been confirmed by the publication of more than 38 diseases, physiological states and clinical tests in leading biological/medical journals, and several groups have started clinical examinations. Moreover, H2 shows not only effects against oxidative stress, but also various anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic effects. H2 regulates various gene expressions and protein-phosphorylations, though the molecular mechanisms underlying the marked effects of very small amounts of H2 remain elusive.""Despite their cytotoxic effects, low concentrations of ROS, such as ●O2- and H2O2, function as signaling molecules and regulate apoptosis, cell proliferation, and differentiation [14, 15]. As mentioned, unexpectedly and notably, recent studies have suggested that excessive antioxidants increased mortality and rates of cancer [9, 11, 59-62] because they may interfere with some essential defensive mechanisms [13, 60,63-67]. At higher concentrations, H2O2 is converted to hypochlorous acid by myeloperoxidase to defend against bacterial invasion [68]. Additionally, NO functions as a neurotransmitter and is essential for the dilation of blood vessels [69].Since H2 reduces ●OH but does not affect ●O2- and H2O2 having physiological roles [12], we propose that the adverse effects of H2 are very small compared to other antioxidants."

"Hydrogen water can be made by several methods, including dissolving hydrogen gas in water under high pressure, dissolving electrolyzed H2 in water, and by the reaction of magnesium metal with water. The method of dissolving hydrogen gas under high pressure has an advantage because it is applicable not only using water but also any other solvents."

"In Parkinson’s disease, mitochondrial dysfunction and the associated oxidative stress are major causes of dopaminergic cell loss in the substantia nigra [102]. H2 in drinking water was given before or after stereotactic surgery for 6-hydroxydopamine-induced nigrostrital degeneration in a rat model of Parkinson’s disease. Hydrogen water prevented both the development and progression of nigrostriatal degeneration. Hydrogen water likely retards the development and progression of Parkinson’s disease [103]. Drinking hydrogen water suppressed dopaminergic neuronal loss in another Parkinson’s disease model induced by MPTP (1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine) [104]."

"Increased oxidative stress in obesity affects metabolic syndrome [111]. Long-term drinking of hydrogen water significantly controlled fat and body weights, despite no change in the consumption of food and water.Moreover, drinking hydrogen water decreased levels of plasma glucose, insulin and triglyceride, the effect of which on hyperglycemia was similar to diet restriction [112]. A mechanistic study revealed that the gene expression of the hepatic hormone, fibroblast growth factor 21 (FGF21) was enhanced, which should function to enhance fatty acid and glucose expenditure. Indeed, drinking hydrogen water stimulated energy metabolism, as measured by O2consumption and CO2 expiration. These results suggest the potential benefit of H2 in improving obesity, diabetes and metabolic syndrome [112]."

Molecular hydrogen: an overview of its neurobiological effects and therapeutic potential for bipolar disorder and schizophrenia

"Molecular hydrogen is an odourless and tasteless gas that has the ability to rapidly diffuse through lipid membranes and enter the cell, where it easily penetrates organelles such as mitochondria as well as the nucleus. It is inert at room temperature and in the absence of catalysts. It additionally easily crosses the blood brain barrier, which facilitates access to the target organs and subcellular components. Its adverse event profile is reportedly benign [2,63]. Physiologically, hydrogen is produced by intestinal microbiota from fermentation of complex carbohydrates. Arterial blood contains higher levels of hydrogen that tissue, suggesting some uptake and utilization of hydrogen in tissues. Hydrogen reacts with free hyrodoxyl radicals but does not appear to react to other reactive oxygen species. This is a theoretical advantage, as low levels of these radicals have physiologically relevant signaling effects. It protects against secondary oxidative damage to the brain in a variety of models by reacting with hydroxyl radicals [64]. Hydrogen is potentially available as a medical gas,hydrogen enriched water, taking a hydrogen bath, injecting hydrogen saline, hydrogen saline eye drops, and augmenting bacterial production of intestinal hydrogen. It penetrates glass but not aluminum containers."

"Anti-inflammatory effects of hydrogen molecule have been reported in both animal and human models. Hydrogen-rich saline decreases the levels of cytokines IL-4, IL-5, IL-13 and TNF-α in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid [65]. Its effects on tumor necrosis factor alpha, interleukin (IL)-1β and IL-6 levels is hypothesized as the reason for its protective role against UVB radiation [66]. Hydrogen molecule also stops TNFα-induced activation of the NFκB pathway [67]. Hydrogen released by intestinal microbiota, such a hydrogen producing strain of E. coli can suppress inflammation [68]. Taken together, these findings are germane to bipolar disorder as current evidences implicates many interleukins in the neurobiology of bipolar disorder [69].""In a pilot placebo controlled, randomized, double-blind, parallel-group design (N[​IMG]=[​IMG]18), the efficacy of 1000ml molecular hydrogen daily was investigated in patients taking levodopa. In the hydrogen group, there was a reduction in Total Unified Parkinson’s Disease Rating Scale scores, whereas the placebo group deteriorated [83]. Signal modulating activities of hydrogen may play a role in exerting a protective effect against Parkinson’s [79] (...) A randomized controlled trial indicated that hydrogen-enriched water decreased mitochondrial dysfunction and inflammation in patients with mitochondrial myopathies [89]."

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    Jan Christer and yewwei.tan like this.
  3. For anyone interested, and Jack himself, too, I'd check out the work of biochemical student with an undergraduate degree only from BYU, Tyler LeBaron at the Molecular Hydrogen Institute. There are a bunch of studies, here.

Jack discussed using H2 in water that has been super cooled and magnetized and stored in copper prior to CT, along side raw oysters. I think this would be a super cocktail for fat loss, in addition to nootropic and hedonic benefits. I'm not sure where you can find powdered diatomic hydrogen, but there is one machine on the market that does in fact make H2 containing water, but it's really expensive.

There are also tablets that I believe use a form of magnesium that dissipates into H2 in the gut. I suspect this would provide less H2 per serving than super-saturated water, though. Turmeric and other compounds with polyphenols and prebiotics also support H2 production in the gut. Lastly, as evidenced by the above, you technically can use it in a bath, via inhalation, as an eye drop, injection, etc. but I know of no one who has used methods outside of drinking H2-containing water, and I'm not sure how to go about using these other methods anyhow. I'd be willing to try it though.... :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2015
    yewwei.tan likes this.
  4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Microbiome is a light and H2 story................spin

5. Effects of drinking hydrogen-rich water on the quality of life of patients treated with radiotherapy for liver tumors

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "Hydrogen water mitigated oxidative stress marker during radiotherapy. Antioxidative effects in patients with placebo water (n = 24) and hydrogen rich water (n = 25). The dROM level (A) represents the total level of peroxide metabolities, and BAP (B) reflects serum antioxidant capacity."

Oral ‘hydrogen water' induces neuroprotective ghrelin secretion in mice
    "Our findings demonstrate that the neuroprotective effects of oral hydrogen water, which produces negligible levels of H2 in the brain, result from gastric induction of the neuroprotective peptide hormone ghrelin and the subsequent activation of ghrelin receptors. In addition, we have shown an obligate role for β1-adrenergic receptors in hydrogen water-induced ghrelin up-regulation in plasma, consistent with previous reports that adrenergic stimulation regulates ghrelin release in vitro and in vivo22,24,25.
    (...)
    These results emphasize the importance of gastric ghrelin induction in the neuroprotective action of H2. Oral H2-water is being explored as a therapeutic for PD as well as a variety of other human pathophysiological conditions17,32,33 under the generally held assumption that the mechanism of action of supplemental H2 is likely to reflect an antioxidative role. Our findings that oral H2 water exerts a neuroprotective effect through activation of an endogenous, gastric ghrelin system that is tightly coupled to β-adrenergic receptor signaling suggests the possibility of novel applications of H2 therapy for various diseases."

6. Jack, if you don't mind me asking and can answer this - where do YOU get H2, or how do you use it? I know a few people who bubble it into their water, and they haven't yet even been able to "supersaturate" it, yet have received a lot of benefits: clear-headedness, increases resilience in the face of emotional stress or sleep deprivation/reduction, a boost in mood (dopaminergic modulation/repair?), etc. Supersaturating the water would allow for more H2, especially more H2 crossing the BBB.

I'd imagine that H2 containing water and a powerful magnetico would go a longgg way in helping us mitigate nn-EMF; let alone drinking magnetized H2-water or bubbling H2 into ice cold bath water ;)

7. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

META 1: damn those are some good first posts :eek::p
    META 2: Dr Kruse would probably tell you to put up a profile pic showing an actual human being :rolleyes:
    ---

99% of the H2 produced in the gut is in the large intestine, under high CO2 and low O2 conditions.

I don't know how consuming H2 dissolved in water will affect this, but I suspect that it will dissipate before it reaches the large intestine. I don't know how this affects H2 production down the line in the colon :rolleyes: (are there light-based regulatory mechanisms that sense extra H2 in the small intestine, that give feedback to colonic bacteria to reduce H2 production?)

Some random paper I found-- http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJM196907172810303 , suggesting that:
    • "Respiratory H2 excretion can be used as an indicator of intestinal H2 production".
    • "small-bowel production was increased in a patient with excessive numbers of small-bowel bacteria". SIBO + Candida is not good ;)
    • H2 production in man is primarily dependent upon the delivery of ingested, fermentable substrates to an abundant intestinal flora that normally is present only in the colon
    High butyrate production is likely coupled to H2 production.

Eat lots of animal fibre (prawn shells, tough beef tendons, etc ....) ;). See -- http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.ph...ntial-through-hydride-ions.10343/#post-118768 and http://caloriesproper.com/animal-fibre/

Another paper -- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC442992/

We conclude that most H2 produced by colonic bacteria is consumed and methanogenesis and fecal stirring (via its influence on fecal PH2) are critical determinants of H2 consumption and, hence, net H2 production​

-----

bio-fractal-soul-self likes this.
  8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

electrolysis of water...........spin

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

and you do need a new avatar.

13. If you don't mind, I will post one when I log back on with my PC; on a different laptop currently.

Also, you said that you use electrolysis of water. This is exactly what Tyler LeBaron discusses for supersaturating water. You should definitely check out his work. He's really bright for a guy in biochemistry at his age. I feel as though he is even aware of Michael Polanyi and other interesting scientists whom are unfortunately not discussed at all in mainstream medicine and science. Anyhow, do you use a specific device or technique to cause electrolysis; do you use a metal of magnesium? As I posted above, there is an expensive machine known as the Lourde's water machine that actually does work and produces notable H2 in water. A few people I have spoken to online for a couple years now are actually using it with great results. A few others have tried using magnesium rods, some with success, some with not so much success. If there is a cheaper way than the Lourde's machine, I'm all in. Otherwise, in late Feb-March, I may get the Lourde's machine to make H2 containing water, and run before and after labs, and post back after a couple months :)

Thanks haha! Yeah, as I said above, if it's fine with the Doc I'll put up a meaningful, inspiring (for me) photo as soon as I can. Not sure if I'll be forum lurking tomorrow or not...

Awesome response, too. If I'm not mistaken, turmeric increases H2 in the gut; it also has a bunch of other beneficial effects on the gut, such as being anti-viral, anti-bacterial (to certain strains), lowers LPS, etc. I'm thinking of consuming fermented turmeric and fermented turmeric tea (after seeing the fermented turmeric tea discussed in a Random Show episode with Tim Ferriss); perhaps raw fermented turmeric would have much more potent effects.

I'm also trying to get more "animal fibre" since I can't tolerate things such as dairy right now, nor fermented veggies and things like that (by dairy, I want to begin consuming dairy the way traditional high-fat diet dairy eating cultures ate it - fermented/cultured/rotted, raw, etc; the lactic acid bacteria can convert LA to CLA, and I've seen evidence that plasma/circulating LA is, alone, a reliable factor for CVD mortality and the like, and is potently anti-metabolic anyhow). I've been eating a lot of sardines lately for their nucleotide content, but I'd bet I get some fermentable factors from them from consuming the skin and bones :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  14. Inger

Inger Silver

You could try fermented raw heart. It is delicious :)

15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

16. Gracelind

Gracelind New Member

17. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

18. A couple of my online acquaintances have used them with less than good results; one of them has used the Lourde's hydrogen machine, is experimenting with other methods of electrolysis (as Dr. Kruse mentioned above), and has also used the 'hydrogen sticks'. His best results thus far have been from the Lourde's hydrogen machine, and he continues to drink at least 1 liter of H2 water a day.

19. Gracelind

Gracelind New Member

Thanks for your reply.

Can you be more specific about your friend's symptoms and the results he feels?

20. No problem. And yes, of course I can :)

My friend doesn't necessarily have any 'symptoms' so to speak; in fact, he's probably extremely healthy (never seen any of his labs or anything). He is just a bio-hacker looking for optimal performance, optimal mood/happiness/'oneness', longevity, and then to use his enhanced abilities to give out as much research/free info as possible to help other people, so others can do the same, and then a cascading effect is ensued where tons of super-enhanced people start helping everyone/thing out, lol.

He's already done a lot to enhance himself in the past few years. Then, he came across H2 water, and started consuming it, and has used the Mg-metal sticks as well, and has been looking into hydrogen gas to inhale or bubble into a bath. He told me the effects of consuming H2 water are subtle and he views it as a long-term investment in his health and well-being; that being said, he has also stated that he immediately noticed more mental clarity (aha! moments), an even greater improvement in his mood, and much greater resilience to stress and an improvement in his ability to sleep less than most people. This is all significant to me for 2 reasons:

1: he's already been doing a lot of bio-hacking and is healthy, as I stated, yet he still noticed these improvements. I'd suspect that someone who is coming from a background of poor mitochondrial functioning/low redox, an environment inundated with nn-EMF, etc. would notice even greater improvements in their well-being (but I don't know that for certain as I have yet to consume any H2-rich water)
    2: he, as far as I know, has not yet found a way to super-saturated his water with very large amounts of H2, nor does he consume massive quantities of it (only ~1L/day); it is possible to safely consume a lot more H2, so more benefits may accrue with larger 'doses'.