1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Milk for baby

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Nrelax11, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Nrelax11

Nrelax11 New Member

So my girlfriend is no longer breastfeeding and never got much milk because of our baby had a tongue tie and it messed with her supply. Our baby is 14 months now and still drinking formula. I was reading that after 12 months they can switch to milk. What are your guys opinion on raw cows milk for a baby? Maybe raw goat milk? Any other options milk wise? She gets a lot of her fluids from bottles. Thank you .

2. Mario

Mario Gold

Do some research on camel milk

Attached Files:

3. Nrelax11

Nrelax11 New Member

Very interesting! Going to look more into it. I see a lot of places deliver raw camels milk. I might have to try it out. I saw a site that has a trial size, but man, the bottles are a bite pricey. I would probably have to be a drink that we would supplement along with maybe raw goat milk.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  4. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

What kind of solid food is she eating?

I nursed both my boys for over a year and they never had formula, but easily switched to whole cow milk after weaning. It was sometimes raw and organic (not as easy to find 20 years ago) but mostly just regular D-fortified whole milk. They went through gallons per week as teenagers and are fit and healthy now. This is their non-paleo N=2 though.

If you can get raw milk I would certainly try it since more of the good stuff is retained. Try mixing it with formula at first if she balks—it is much less sweet than formula or breast milk. Just make sure it’s fresh, and don’t let it linger too long in the fridge.

That camel milk looks interesting, but yeah, pricey.

If I had to do it over, I would introduce more epi-paleo fatty solids earlier (mashed, puréed or finely chopped) and de-emphasize the milk.

Enjoy your angel!

5. Nrelax11

Nrelax11 New Member

She is currently eating sardines about twice a week and she really likes canned salmon( Fresh is too expensive to buy all the time). Loves the berries and fruits, but I want to switch to something else since summer is coming to an end. Apples grow here till around October, so I can give her local ones til then. I give her eggs a lot ( duck and chicken), but she seems tired of those. She doesn't seem to always have the biggest appetite, and I wish she would eat more, but she is at a healthy weight, so maybe she's just picky. I try and give her protein with each meal though. I'm going to pick up some raw milk today since I have easy access to it. What do you think about raw goat milk?

6. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Yes I think goat milk would be even better if you have a good local supply. Less risk of allergy and higher in some nutrients. Can have an off-putting taste and smell at some times of the year depending on what they eat. Shouldn’t be a problem if you get her used to it.

I was going to add too that (if you go this route) look for milk from cows that produce the A2 casein protein rather than A1, again for the allergy risk reduction. I think I even saw this in the regular grocery store recently.

Sounds like she has a great diet—good job. Don’t worry about her not eating at times. If she’s at healthy weight that’s what matters.

Oh and it’s fine (good even) for some of her fluids to be plain water.

I’m curious what other Epi-paleo parents think of this. Do/did you give your kids non-human milk?

Nrelax11 likes this.
  7. Nrelax11

Nrelax11 New Member

I'll check the milk I have access to for A2 casein protein and I'll try out the goat milk too. I know whole foods sells an A2 only milk. She's finally drinking more water since we got her this no spill 360 degree sippy cup. Well its not really a sippy cup, because she doesn't need to suck at all. She seems to not get the concept of using the sippy cup and it could also be that we didn't give it to her enough. We need to let her practice more, but for now she's getting water more easily with her current cup. Thank you so much for the replies!

Phosphene likes this.
  8. JanSz

JanSz Gold

9. Nrelax11

Nrelax11 New Member

Thats the one we just got! It is so handy!

10. JanSz

JanSz Gold

11. Nrelax11

Nrelax11 New Member

I think thats the one I've seen at whole foods. Do you think it would be as good as say raw goats milk since its ultra pasteurized and loses some nutrition?

12. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Do not know.
    Assume that unprocessed goat milk should be better.
    And it will have more fat.

13. JanSz

JanSz Gold

upload_2019-9-3_13-50-9.png
    upload_2019-9-3_13-47-36.png

upload_2019-9-3_13-40-48.png

14. Nrelax11

Nrelax11 New Member

I think I'll give the raw goat milk a shot today.

15. drezy

drezy New Member

16. drezy

drezy New Member

One might think your knowledge in this regard is a sign of interest in having new babies.

Jenelle likes this.
  17. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Yes.
    Right now, my grandson is using the above cup, the one with handles.
    Month or so ago was told that there might possibly be a plan for the next grandchild.
    Unfortunately, I do not hear anything more about this topic.

My DGF couple weeks ago became grandmother.

18. Nrelax11

Nrelax11 New Member

Luna is actually really great at sharing. When she started using her fingers to eat, she would give me a piece of her food and then take a piece for herself. Although sometimes she would pretend to give me some of her food and just take it for herself lol. Very interesting study though!

19. Swen

Swen New Member

We raised and milked goats when I was a teenager. I always heard then that cows milk lacked folic acid/folate for human babies and that goats milk had it. I have heard similar things as an adult and even lately, never heard any contradictory theories or studies. Goats and sheep are said/thought to have the a2 milk, but do we really test our sources often enough to verify that they haven't mutated like the holsteins did way back when?

Nrelax11 likes this.
  20. Nrelax11

Nrelax11 New Member

I started giving our baby raw "green" fed goats milk. According to the farmers, they say there milk is mostly A2 casein or maybe only A2. But our baby seems to be doing fine with it!