1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Metformin help

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by KiwiLauren, Oct 9, 2012.

1. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

To all of you Metformin users, gurus and general smart folks, I have a question.

I'm trying to persuade my doc to write me a script for metformin. He says he's 'not opposed' but wants to know how I will evaluate that it's working. I do not have high fasting blood glucose (though have never checked it throughout the day). I do have a history of cancer and gut issues (and probably some early insulin resistance, though doubtful that's current). He wants me to convince him of a) how long of a trial I'd want and b) how I will know it's helping.

What is your advice?

2. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Maybe this?

http://cancerpreventionresearch.aacrjournals.org/content/3/9/1060.full

3. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I was thinking of the same one. Chck out the ampk thread Katgy started the link there has additional metformin studies you can open directly. Good stuff. I used the one on OCOS to finally convince PCP to rx it for me

this is the one Kathy posted... at the bottom, each of the cites, if you hover over it and right click - it will take you to that research article... great stuff in the cites too!

4. kathylu

kathylu Gold

5. kathylu

kathylu Gold

You could also start testing your blood glucose and give a diary to your doctor at the next visit (or just keep if for your own information). I'd suggest FBG, and 90 minutes post each meal to look for blood glucose spikes. This will also establish a baseline for you to compare to after you start the metformin. That way you will know if your BG is dropping too low in response.

The review article above says that even low doses of metformin (250 mg) reversed abnormal crypt cell formation in the colon (an epithelial tissue like the breast), showing anti-neoplastic activity.

6. cjb

cjb Silver

My doctor was initially resistant to Dr. Kruse's metformin suggestion because he was not familiar with it helping the mitochondria. I told him I would look for a study and found this one which Jack said was a good study. I took it in to him and he was interested but he actually went ahead with the metformin because my A1c was at 5.8 so he thought it would be a good idea. I don't know if he ever read the study I left but who knows? As far as I know, my doctor will be monitoring me by the A1c number.

Here's the study I mentioned:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1133963/

7. CarolMorris

CarolMorris New Member

8. I read about it, and threw out random terms like Mtor PATHWAYS and other kruseish phrases. His eyes glazed over and he wrote me the script. He only prescribed 500 a day, but I'm taking 1500 now per googles best advice. My plan is to do it and ask forgiveness.

9. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Here's the link to that thread:

http://forum.jackkruse.com/showthread.php?4669-You-go-Dr-Eades!-AMPK-activation-carb-restriction-cancer-Metformin-action&highlight=Dr.+Eades

10. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Thanks to everyone for their help! I had already printed some of those articles, but will get the others. I probably wasn't clear in my original question. My doctor is willing to prescribe it but wants to know how I will evaluate if it is working. If I can't evaluate that, then I'm essentially saying I want to be on it forever. Am I saying that? I don't know. I can't really imagine needing a drug forever if I'm moving to optimal... so that returns to his question (which I think is a good one actually) about how will I know I don't need it anymore. Or maybe you are all thinking that this is a lifetime approach?

(Btw, he and I did discuss the BG monitoring - thanks for the tips about when to test, Kathylu - and he said that if it reduces BG but it doesn't bump it too low he thinks that's a good thing and shows a need. I guess the question is, other than BG, are there other evaluative mechanisms since it is linked with cancer prevention, etc... all of which he was well aware of without me handing him the articles I'd printed.)

11. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

other than FBG - not sure how you evaluate how its working in your given set of conditions... might be a consult question....