1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Metformin dosing question

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by SeaJane, Sep 12, 2012.

1. SeaJane

SeaJane Gold

I had a education consult with Jack and he suggested that Metformin might be useful in helping my gut and hormones get back in shape. My ND is on-board with it although she was wondering what the dosing would be for this purpose: 500mg once, twice or three times a day. I don't have insulin or blood sugar issues. It seems that many monitor blood glucose levels in determining dosage. Would this be something I should be doing as well? I'd appreciate anyone who could share what they are doing. I realize that my situation may be different (context you know) although it would help me get a sense of what/how people are using metformin.

Thanks.

PSJane

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I believe you start w/500mg monitor BG and adjust from there.

3. CarolMorris

CarolMorris New Member

In my consult Jack suggested I ask my doctor about trying 500mg 4x per day. I had a little problem with taking it on an empty stomach so I take 1000mg with each of my 2 meals.

4. SeaJane

SeaJane Gold

Carol--Are you monitoring your blood glucose levels? Thanks.

5. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

What kind of measurements blood sugar measurements are we hoping to see? Obviously FBG lowered - to below 85, or lower? What about pre-meal, post-meal measurements? Are we looking for metformin to help improve these markers? Would that indicate it's helping our insulin (pretty obvious here), as well as our mitochondria? If we can achieve the glucose targets without the metformin, would that indicate we don't need it for further optimizing?

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

these are questions for your doctor.........metformin is not just used for diabetes. Your particular context needs to be discussed with your doctor.

7. CarolMorris

CarolMorris New Member

not regularly...I think I need a new glucose meter or new strips, it seems to register high, but when I've had it done it's much lower. In the past I've mostly used it to monitor how I react to foods or to check my 1 hr. post meal.

8. I'm taking 500, 3X a day, a bit before meals. When it works out perfectly.

9. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I just started yesterday! Dr.k suggested I speak to my doctor about taking it once or twice a day. I started with 500mg once a day at noon with meals.

10. debbiemikus

debbiemikus New Member

Could someone please tell me what blog post is dealing with Metformin? I have DM2, hypothyroid, crohns, and cannot lose weight. I have been on Meformin before and stopped because I thought it may have been partly responsible for my crohns. Probably wasn't but I am willing to restart it even tho it makes me nauseous if it will help heal my gut and get my hormones back in shape. Thanks everyone!!

11. I take 500, 3X a day with meals. I got that from the internet. It seems to effect my appetite, and I think I'm eating less - sadly, that isn't translating into weight loss.

12. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I have been taking Metformin 500x2 a day since 9/12. My FBG went up to 100's from my usual 90's when I added DHEA and added more progesterone 6 weeks ago. Now, it is not reacting to Metformin at all. It stays in 100's.

I will increase the dose to 500x3 a day and see if it brings any change.

13. ATL_Paleo

ATL_Paleo Gold