1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Mental illness

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by AnnieW, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

^^^^ this made my night.

Josh likes this.
  2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

now Ken put a picture up. STAT

3. cantweight

cantweight Gold

Ken! So great to hear from you again....glad it is all coming together :)

Annie, I was diagnosed bipolar in 1998 and spent far too many years on far too many meds. If you can convince your hubby to adopt some of these protocols specifically leptin RX and CT I think he will be amazed at how his brain will ultimately heal in response. I have been free of meds and "episodes" for over 4 years now....it is wonderful :)

kovita, Josh and SeaHorse like this.
  4. sooperb

sooperb New Member

The biggest challenge you face is whether your husband wants to change. Unless/until he does nothing will help.

My daughter was diagnosed with bipolar some years ago. Before that, looking back even to when she was pre-teen, I can see there were problems then that I just didn't pick up. By the time she was in her early twenties, her erratic behaviour was well entrenched, she had moved 200 miles away so helping wasn't easy.

There were two obstacles in the way to her getting better, one was the complete ignorance we were under regarding the drugs se took for her chronic asthma, ever heard of roid rage? The other was her complete denial that her behaviour was in any way responsible for her chaotic lifestyle, when she related her trials and tribulations, the blame was always firmly on someone else.

This continued through a failed relationship and then carried on through the demise of her partnership with "the love of her life" which was the precursor to her very dark days and suicidal thoughts. She by then had two tiny children. In some ways they saved her life but trying to care for them on her own only made her depression worse. The penny must have dropped around this time that actually it wasn't everybody else who was wrong, it might just be her. She received some psychological counselling which enabled her to deal with suppressed issues from her childhood but it wasn't a cure. She was finally diagnosed with manic depression and medicated.

The medication all had side effects and was changed several times, she was averse to taking it but was pressured, by me for one (those were my dark days too), she was functioning but described herself as a no more than a zombie. She decided that she would go cold turkey and stop, she didn't tell me. She came through, god knows how. It didn't take much to send her plummeting back into her dark hole but she has shown huge strength of character and determination, mainly because she decided she needed to set up her children's future by doing the best she could for them.

Around the same time she discovered roid rage and put two and two together, her terrible anger and mood swings were connected to her asthma medication. If she doesn't take it she feels so much better mentally but her asthma can be unstable, it's a dilemma but her GP has been accommodating in trying different approaches to try and find something she is happy to take and that works. She has even gone some way to adopting a paleo lifestyle. Retrospectively, since I pointed her at a mould thread in here (Martin's) she could see some correlation with that too, her previous home was old and very mouldy :(

Today she functions well and has made great strides forward. She has never taken medication again for the depression, we have managed between us and finally she thrives. It's taken over ten years but her girls are happy, she is happier and although the black dog is always there in the background, he's kept under control.

The turning point for her was acceptance that she had a problem that only she could tackle. This author seems to be in step with Dr. Jack's thinking : http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/jul/19/beat-depression-without-drugs
    Also found this : http://www.holistichelp.net/anxiety-and-depression.html

I hope your husband will make the connection that it's his behaviour that is causing the problems and that he is willing, for his sake, to take steps to make himself better. He will need your support but it has to be his own efforts too. I hope that for both of you, he makes the right decision.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  5. Ken23

Ken23 New Member

Thanks CW
    Will do Dr. K

6. AnnieW

AnnieW New Member

Thanks guys for your continued support. He is seeing a new doctor as the counselor wasn't a good fit for him. This doctor said he would more than likely be put on lithium if he is diagnosed with bipolar. My husband would have to be referred to a prescribing physician as the new doctor is a psychologist.

He is doing better with his eating (gluten-free) but he could definitely eat more protein. I'd like both of us to do CT but I know he would never do it. I really can't push anything with him because he is so irritable right now. Hopefully he will see my improvements and join me.

The best thing I can do right now is try to be supportive and be an example by being successful on the leptin reset.

Thanks again everyone!

Jude and cantweight like this.
  7. Josh

Josh Gold

I read the "Annals of Psychology" in The New Yorker this weekend and I was transported back to a less happy time. I am digressing from the spirit of this tread for a moment, indulge me in my reflection a moment....

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/03/17/140317fa_fact_solomon?currentPage=all

I arrived at my mother's house with my wife from 4 days on the road from Colorado to discover that one of my closest friends had stabbed his girlfriend to death at the kitchen table in the apartment where they lived together. On that day, he was still at large and my mother who had allowed him to live with her on and off for years said something like "it would be best if he was dead". Unfortunately or fortunately, these things get blurred after such events, he was apprehended and the story became national news. Reporters somehow found his contacts and appeared at my house and the houses of other friends. I found it fascinating that NY newspapers and TV stations would send young women stylishly dressed in short skirts to find me and interview me about what to me was a personal tragedy. They showed up 4 days in a row anyway and laid siege to his mother's house for a week....

Like Adam Lanza, he had been diagnosed with a "mental illness", in his case schizophrenia. He and I had been living together in my mother's house after college when he had his first break and it took a while for my mother, a psychiatrist, and I to realize what was happening. Eventually he spent two 9 month stints at a prestigious mental hospital in NY where his father and I are were the only non-alien "imposters" around. He eventually "stabilized" and managed to attend law school. While his capacities were diminished somewhat, he was still able to do well at one of the top law schools. Later this would inspire a movie producer and a publisher to contract him for his story. This was the story he was locked up night and day in his apartment attempting to write when he decided that his partner was an "alien imposter" and stabbed her at the breakfast table. Somewhere in my mind the memory of it triggered my memory of Richard Pryor's in his Live Concert movie where he did a skit on the movie "Halloween". He said something like "well, there is a big man with a hockey mask and a butcher knife in your house-what do you do? Get out the house!!!" This in some ways summed up my bafflement at how his doctors and family had or had not realized that things were going poorly. In fact they had, and were scheduled to do an intervention and hospitalize him that day. I always wonder what would have happened if I had arrived a day earlier. We had talked and were planning to see each other. I knew he was having a hard time and had told him in so many ways to "get out the house". I figured the worst place to be when one feels awful and unstable is locked up in your house writing your own supposedly redemptive life story....

In fact he is one of the smartest people I have ever known. He could read 6 books a night with good recall. He had completed his undergraduate work effortlessly at one of the more challenging universities in the US. He worked for one of the top consulting firms after school until he quit to become a writer which brought him back to my mother's house with me.

As I look back with my latest set of quantum eyes, I see how he broke his brain. Nocturnal habits, early chronic exposure to computers including 6-8 hours per day in front of my early IBM PC. A diet heavy in carbs and often consumed far away from circadian sanity. I remember how white his skin always was because he stayed out of the sun and burned easily. There may have been some genetics too...

When he became ill, he had some of the best care from a profession that as best I can tell has been based on an abbreviated set of teachings from a somewhat unstable brilliant Austrian with evidence of lifelong drug use and dysfunctional behavior. This combined with abbreviated versions of neurobiology streamlined into a system that suppresses the brain dysfunction rather than healing it. It is amazing to me that this system is more or less the universal arbiter of the definition of "sanity" ON THE PLANET AT OFFICIAL LEVELS. I have compassion and respect for the practitioners including my own parents and their colleagues. They have been asked to carry quite a bit of society's dysfunction with ever decreasing resources. There are notable examples of doctors who realized the sensitvity of the brain to the entire physiology and who have reformed their approaches to take all of it into account. Still, more and more the entire world looks to psychiatry and psychology to manage "sanity" on the planet and in the lives of people whose "dis-ease" disproportionately affects there cognitive and behavioral function.

What we are learning here and from other trailblazers such as Dr. Yasko and Dr. Stewart, is that there is a saner and more humane way to approach these things and to head them off before people's brains just break. I do not know how long it will take for it to become widely accepted, but I have hope. My own brain has been quite delicate this time around and it seems pretty clear how that happened. I feel that everyone needs to utilize the care that they can accept and handle and that it often changes over time. Sometimes more conventional treatment gives people the grace to learn more creative ways to heal and create their lives.

Strangely, when I looked around for news of him on the web, I found a book where someone was arguing that he and other people who have suddenly become violent were not after all schizophrenic, but rather a type of bipolar with dissociation and hallucinations. This struck me as absurd. It is essentially saying that "well it was not really a seeing and experiencing things that were not there problem. The "real" issue was going up and down so fast and hard that he lost connection with the "real" people and things that were there and saw other stuff". Two sides of one incomplete coin with no date of issue or country of origin......

I visited my friend in the hospital after the death of his partner. He always asked me what was wrong with killing an alien "imposter". I really never had a good answer. He remains in a hospital for the criminally insane. He made it through adolescence and into early adulthood and did not suffer from ASD issues early in life. Still I am wondering how much the issues that led to his demise have accelerated through the intensification of stress on our systems, especially the less myelinated child and adolescent versions. In the New Yorker piece, it is clear that Adam Lanza's father really did not understand all of the factors involved in his son's demise. I wonder if Dr. Kruse's discussion of de-evolution into a primate/chimpanzee level brain function would provide any solace. I find some peace in a more refined understanding of the physiology and environmental issues, yet I can not fully bridge the "before and after" . I have never felt that there was any point in calling my friend a "murderer" or even his partner who I was also close to for many years a "victim". They had both chosen to the best of their ability the life they wanted to live and this is what happened.

I suspect that "Mental Illness" may disappear in our time as a separate non/quasi physiological set of issues and it will be replaced with the understanding that the brain sits at the top of the energy tree and how the energy system goes, so goes the brain. It will be interesting to see if we can move beyond Freud and his children so to speak.....I like the old Japanese treatment where mentally unstable people were reputedly sent to zen monasteries and put in a small secluded hut for 21 days and just provided with food...Around the edges of things there are mysteries such as the mystic Meher Baba who said there are regular mentally ill people and "Masts" or God-Mad people "drunk with the divine". He even had ashrams for both types where he cared for both. There is some translated literature in TCM/OM and treatments are taught and practiced. However much of the Taoist shamanism was removed in the codification of practice over the last 150 years. I suspect many of the tools for mental instability were contained in those practices. The question of "sanity" in a given age remains a mystery.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  8. kovita

kovita Gold

in 2007 I was diagnosed with generic anxiety, i lived very comfortable life in dubai that time. I received some entidepressants and felt better. Than we decided to take a break and went to Selous GR in Tanzania to manage safari lodge. My anxiety went away almost immediately, i needed no drugs. I ate what was available, drunk water from the well, the only electricity and hot water was from solar panels, scarce mobile coverage, all the days outdoors in the middle of unbelievable africal wilderness. I have never felt better in my whole life and I experienced daily profound feelings of happiness, serenity and satisfaction. I have never experienced anything as powerfull as walking near wild animals in their untouched natural habitat. It felt so right to be there, it felt like my real home. It would qualify as sort of "campjng cure", wouldn't it?

9. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

Such a sad story...

10. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

There goes Josh, telling us like it is..

So sorry to hear about your friends. I think it would be best if he never realized what he has done.

11. Josh

Josh Gold

I had the same experience living in the hills of India in a small town and farming. It lasted until the parasites and the high carb diet caught up with me, about 2 years. Good while it lasted....

12. Jude

Jude Gold

And if we lived in a JK world of knowing how to regain optimal health, would it be possible to remediate/myelinate/fix his brain? Is there a point of no return? I would like to think not...........so sad....thanks Josh.......new hat eh!

13. Josh

Josh Gold

Just my favorite wolf and goat fur from a friend who spun the wool herself from wolf rescue seasonal sheddings and then knitted it for me. I have been nursing it for 8 years and dread the day it will fall apart....

14. Inger

Inger Silver

This really was heartbreaking. I always had an interest in Psychology and the human mind... heart and soul. Food and environment relationship to it all etc. I sensed it was huge. Just from my own N=1. A decade and more ago.. I wanted to become a Psychologist.. until I realized... about the things that are talked about in the becoming a Doc thread. I would still like to but I have such a pain to listen and having to learn stuff I know is screwed and not being able to live what I believe I just cannot so far.
    I have so many questions in my mind I would like to figure out. I can see myself in your post Josh, I really do. Like you were talking out of my heart... weird. thank you for sharing.

15. Inger

Inger Silver

Ken. Thank you for sharing this too. So encouraging it just warmed my heart.

16. sooperb

sooperb New Member

I am fascinated by the way the human mind is so complex and why one person kills and another doesn't? When you start reading about mental health issues though, it's nothing short of extraordinary, what causes the perceptions your friend has, how can they be rational with one person but just switch to be totally irrational in a breath. I thought about psychology but it's very hidebound and I'm not sure how scientific it's conclusions are. Sure they studied lots of people but they've never looked to see what makes them tick in the same way as Dr. Jack has, does food, environment, hobbies etc. play a part or is it some sort of wiring problem? I wonder what Dr. K. would say.

It's hugely sad when something so awful happens to someone you love, I don't know how his parents and friends bear it.

17. Ken23

Ken23 New Member

Thank you Inger. I'm glad it did

18. Josh

Josh Gold

Remember when Dr. Kruse talked about novel treatments for mental illness including Ketamine in the webinar on hallucinogens....

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-26647738

19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I am going to be talking about this issue in CPC # 9.