1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

member event Mexico

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by lilly antic, Nov 30, 2016.

1. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

Enjoy your time in PDC, say hi to everyone for me!

2. Matty_M

Matty_M Purple Angel Club

Anyone know if Me
    You too! By the way, I am Matty here but I tend to just go by Matt

3. Matty_M

Matty_M Purple Angel Club

Thank you!! Doesn't look good... Will take a little Himalayan salt in my bag

4. DLO

DLO StarFish

I managed to book a junior room last night at the gran porto it accomidates 2 but i'm by myself. So if anyone wants to get in last minute PM me. You may have to deal with tons of retarded questions tho as i've never been to "south" america.
    Flight comes in on the 11:20pm on the 31st hope they let me check in at 1 am because there was no room available for the 31st...
    Turns out I read my ticket wrong and I'm actually arriving Jan 1st at 6:55AM
    How many PESO's should I get to attend all the planned hacks/events?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    caroline likes this.
  5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

sent you a PM.

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

They wont let you check in at 1 AM........you will need to check you bags with conceirge and sleep on the beach. If you come to the beach side of Royal you can email or text us when you get there and after the NYE party we might be able to come out and sneak you in.............Mexico is not South America FYI. It is North America.

7. Marbear

Marbear Gold

I'll be there Lilly. Arriving on Sat 31st. A little anxious but looking forward to my first trip to Mexico!

lilly antic likes this.
  8. DLO

DLO StarFish

Marbear what time are you arriving? Are u landing at CUN? Do the cab drivers speak english? Will they take the long route or anything to watch out for?
    Perhaps the better question for peso's is how much does a dozen oysters cost down there? ;)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  9. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

When you land and walk out of the gates you will probably be met with everybody vociferously trying to get you to their taxi. Do not respond to any as the offers almost always have a catch. Use the official taxi stands where you prepay your cab and then get in. Many hotels have their own shuttle bus. However if you are going straight to Playa del Carmen and are on a budget you will need to plan ahead. It is a 45 min cab ride or one hour and a a half bus ride. I have no current data of the cost of taxis. You can google for it though.

A lot of people speak one way English, meaning they can explain something but may not readily be able to assimilate a question.

Generally if you pre book the shuttle they have the driver standing in the airport hall holding a sign with their company name.
    This sort of explains the set up . https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g150812-s301/Playa-Del-Carmen:Mexico:Arriving.And.Departing.html

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Pre booking your ride to PDC is very WISE. You can do it on line.

11. Rubicon

Rubicon Avoiding Equilibrium

I find the experience at the Cancun International Airport is terrible. When you exit the terminal you'll be in an enclosed area with shuttles & taxis that will aggressively try to court you. The airport has gates setup to keep you from walking from the arrivals area to the departures area where you could catch a taxi that's dropping someone else off or a private ride. If you go through those gates, you may not be able to go back. The airport does this to control which taxis can pickup at the airport. It's very weird and scammy.

If you want to be very economical, take the bus to PDC. They're comfortable and run often. The name of the main bus line that goes to/from the airport is ADO. They have a stand inside the airport arrival terminal and outside at the bus stop. For ~180 pesos ($15USD) it will take you directly to the bus terminal in PDC Cancun. From there you can buy a new ticket for perhaps $10-20 and transfer to another bus that will go to the main terminal in PDC. It's a short taxi ride from the ADO terminal in PDC to the Gran Porto that should cost around 50 pesos (~$3USD). Most taxis don't have meters, so always ask how much it is before accepting a ride. Most Some Mexican's working in transportation/tourism speak at least enough English to get by. I find if you speak slowly and clearly, many of them should be able to understand you. (but I do speak a bit of basic Spanish)
    Note: The bus may not be running from the airport after 10PM. There is free wi-fi at all the bus terminals.
    ADO Bus Schedule from Cancun airport to Playa Del Carmen

The 'best value' is probably to take a shuttle directly from the airport to PDC. You could probably negotiate between $30-$60 for that, or book online as Jack mentioned.

Taxi would be the fastest option as Lahelada mentioned. My guess is it would be $60-100USD to PDC

12. DLO

DLO StarFish

Bus booked Jan 1 6:55AM landing and leaving Jan 6 8:35AM
    Turns out I leave LAX at 11:20pm dec 31st. So at least thats abit better as far as check in time is concerned

Gran Porto has the possibility of requesting early/late check in/out. Hopefully I can get into my room early.

How much should I offer to get the braclet into the Royal and is it everyday that I have to get a braclet or can I get one for the week?

13. Valuation Man

Valuation Man New Member

Our room at the Gran has access to the Royal as part of the rate (if you are over 18) and not all rooms at the Gran have that feature. I will be there will my college age kids and they each are getting much more interested in what I am doing and we are having more open discussions about optimal health. I am glad some members their age will be there and hope this will peak their interest more.

14. Marbear

Marbear Gold

I get into Cancun around 2pm. My travel agent already booked my transportation. She said just go past all the people trying to sign you up for stuff and look for a driver with The Royal hotel sign. She said it could take some time to get to the hotel depending on how many stops there are.

I know Jack said he already had pesos but is this for when I go out of the resort? Like I said, first time to Mexico so I'm not sure what to bring/how much to get, etc.

15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Tell them you are with the large party at the Royal and you could not get a room and see how it goes. They usually want 100 buck per day but see if they will give you a good deal with the week.

16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

If you pre pay you dont need any peso's until you get to PDC. Their are ATM in the hotel and on fifth ave. I got mine form my bank. I usually have pocket money to burn with my wife. She likes to spend money. At the resort you wont need any money unless you chose to tip. The service at the place is exceptional so you may want to allow for tips if your service is good. 5th ave has a ton of shopping but almost every place takes CC. They have fresh coconuts for sale everywhere for a few bucks. They do take american dolars but you will get screwed on the exchange if you go this route. There is also a nice mall a few blocks form the resort and a nice place to get a message and pedicure on the cheap one block from the Royal if you dont want to spend th emoney at the resort. Me.........I get tons of spa.

17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I get in early Wed so if somebody is coming in then and needs a ride they can ride with us. You just need to use the private FB group to let us know. Or let me know here by tomorrow.

18. DLO

DLO StarFish

Yep 99 bux for a return trip with happy shuttle :) Whole van for myself.

19. Josh Rosenthal

Josh Rosenthal Charter member of Purple Angels Club

ATM dispenses Pesos?

20. Back from Playa and the member event in Mexico.

We had a beautiful week there and I would like to share some of my experiences:

First of all a big Thank you to Jack and Sandy for having suggested this wonderful trip to this amazing place and resort- and then of course THANK You to all of you guys who were there and made this week so special!!! :):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Apart from great weather, sun and beach this stay was from beginning to the end filled with laughter, fun, jokes and great conversations.
    I really miss you now back home and looking at the pictures brings a big grin to my face remembering those funny moments we shared together....:D:D:D:D

While there I observed some remarkable details, which make me want to explore the whole topic a bit more:

1. Like on my stay in Cuba, I noticed a change in my sleep.
    Usually I have no issues with sleeping, only a slight annoyance with the intensity and quantity of my dreams. It is great to have dreams, but if the night is filled with movie-like episodes, sometimes the morning feels exactly like that-like after a night full of movies.
    In Mexico, it resembled more the dream state of my youth ( and while in Cuba)- some dreams but also some deep. deep, deep restful sleep. Like putting your head on the pillow and next thing you know it is morning.
    I was wondering about that fact, as the place is filled with a high density of antennas everywhere. It must be connected to the strong magnetic field, which is found in this area....
    Another remarkable fact is my weight.
    We were staying in an all-inclusive resort, with many great restaurants and food around the clock.
    At home I am eating mostly 1, sometimes 2 meals per day. I don't have weight issues, but was struggling the last year to get rid of some ( for my taste) annoying 2 kg, which were resistant to go, no matter what method or trick I applied.
    So here I was in Playa, eating ( and complaining about the fact) all day- although there was no real hunger- the meals were more for social reasons.
    You can imagine my surprise when after a few days those 2 extra kg vanished into thin air ALTHOUGH I have been eating more than usual.
    (;)My complaining stopped of course immediately hahaha)

I am so happy that I could make it this year ( after I already missed the cruise), and am really, really looking forward to the next event.

If you can make it, I highly recommend to come:). Would love to meet more of you guys and spend some time together.:love::love::love::love:

Optimalbound, Freader, Linz and 4 others like this.