1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Meditation

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by nonchalant, Jul 5, 2012.

1. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Does anyone have a suggestion for a meditation tutorial? I'm looking for something that focuses on controlled breathing.

2. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I like John Kabat-Zinn's stuff, personally. I have a CD of his from a book he did on mindfulness and depression, and it has some really helpful guided exercises on it. My therapist gave it to me when I was coming off antidepressants and needed to find a better way to deal with things, and it helped me a lot. I also really like his book, "Where Ever You Go, There You Are". It's not so much step-by-step, "this is how to meditate" stuff, as more examples and things to contemplate, things to try, etc. He's a big believer in the fact that there's no one way to meditate. It's interesting stuff.

3. Huck

Huck Silver

You might want to check on youtube. Yesterday I downloaded some (free) podcasts on meditation from itunes store. Haven't listened to them yet, so can't recommend any. I also have a qi gong for beginners cd that is good. In fact, I just put it in my computer and was getting ready to do the exercises.

4. NickieG

NickieG New Member

My favorite breathing exercises come from Gay Hendricks. He has a bunch of stuff on Youtube. Also on his website at Hendricks.com.

The Youtube stuff is all free....the website has a bunch of free stuff but the best stuff is on the paid levels.

Happy breathing.

Nickie

5. Huck what Qi Gong CD did you get? Looking for one .....

6. Huck

Huck Silver

Qi Gong for Beginners with Chris Pei.

7. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

You can download a guided meditation using mindfulness of breath from iTunes as a free podcast. The podcaster is called Lisa Dale Miller.

I've used that recording and thought it pretty good.

It's not controlled breathing, the point of mindfulness being not so much to control something as to be aware of it, but it is meditation and it does involve the breath, so it's close to what you're looking for.

8. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. I'll have a look.

9. Thanks Huck!

10. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I found this breathing video on youtube, it seems to fit with what I'm looking for right now. He explains the reason for pushing out the lower belly while deep breathing, it pulls down the diaphragm with allows even more air into the lungs. Thanks again everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJfFXyAi6T0

11. allen001

allen001 New Member

Yeah you can try deepak chopra too. he is superb in meditation or spiritual pratices.

12. villjamur_stevenson

villjamur_stevenson New Member

I was going to sign up for a paid mindfulness course last year through UCLA onlines courses - it was about $300 or so.

But luckily, I missed the sign up deadline by 3 days. I say luckily, because then I found this free site - and I really enjoyed my classes:

https://sites.google.com/site/mindfulnessonlinecourse/

13. janagram

janagram New Member

thanks, villja, for this link. I read and really liked it. Am thinking about doing it.

14. villjamur_stevenson

Honestly, going in I was a little worried they would try to sell me something.

Every week I expected it - it never happened. It really gave me a great beginner's education in mindfulness meditation.

I always tried to read on how to do it in the past, and I never got anywhere. The key is just to do it every day and you get into a pattern.

The popularity of this free course is exploding and the membership is way up - so it may not be as personalized as it was when I took it. But I think it would still be worth taking the time and doing it.

15. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Looks like the next class starts in Sept.

16. villjamur_stevenson

I guess that's a change with the increased numbers. When I did this last fall, there was no time to start. You could just join and everyone was on a different week's lesson.

17. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Thanks for posting this. I've been meaning to start a thread asking how others practice mindfulness. I've tried and struggled with this for so long - can never seem to clear my mind. I think I'll sign up for this class.

18. villjamur_stevenson

Let me know how it goes. With all of the changes, I wonder how it will be....

But when I took it, the way it worked is you were assigned homework in 1 week increments (a week was loosely 7 to 12 days depending on your speed). There were also 2 or so mp3s you could download that had guided meditations. Once you completed your homework and write up, then you submitted it to the instructor. And after reviewing, you'd get the material for the next week. I was always slow, so I took much longer than 7 days for each course block. But it was one of the better things I've ever done and I'm glad I took the time to stick with it.