1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Mayonnaise

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by endless, Mar 20, 2013.

1. endless

endless New Member

Anyone have a good mayo recipe? I can't find anything without canola or soybean oil in the stores. I was toying with the idea of using MCT oil....anyone tried that?

2. cantweight

cantweight Gold

3. diane

diane Gold

4. Priscilla

Priscilla Gold

I make mine similar to the nomnompaleo link (above). I use avocado oil, and cider vinegar (with the mother) instead of white vinegar. I also do it with an immersion blender. Put all the ingredients except the oil in the container, then add oil on top, then place the immersion blender on the bottom. The oil incorporates quickly. slowly raise the blender to finish incorporating it all.

This is so simple. But.. when you are done, yank the cord from the outlet first! Not doing this brought me an emergency room visit and 10 stitches on the tip of my finger!

5. Priscilla, I'm going to try your method. I used to make mayo a lot but got lazy and stopped several years ago. Tried to make it last year and twice it flopped due to me not dropping the oil in slowly enough. I love the immersion blender idea! Thanks!

6. endless

endless New Member

Avocado oil! Duh.....why didn't I think of that, it's perfect! Thanks everyone!

7. CarolMorris

CarolMorris New Member

With the immersion blender it's like...magic :)

8. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I can't the mayo to set for the life of me... ends up very runny - even when I follow directions to a T as far as measurements... doesn't matter if I use an emersion blender, my vitamix, kitchen aid hand mixer, or whipping by hand... total failure...what am I doing wrong????

9. Rachelle

Rachelle New Member

I also use avocado oil and MCT together. You can play around with the amounts.

10. Rachelle

Rachelle New Member

Same here at Shijin, until I used my food processor. It made the difference for me. Just put in egg yoks, vinegar and salt and then start the food processor to make yolks to incorporate with vinegar and salt for a few seconds. Then slowly pour in oil while keeping the food processor running. Works every time.

11. GlenPDQ

GlenPDQ New Member

MCT would probably work fine. You could add some olive, avocado, or macadamia oil in there to vary the flavor some. MCT is a very "runny" oil. I plan to make some homemade mayo soon to use with a salmon, chopped clam, onion, and cucumber salad similar to a tuna salad. Maybe I will add some chopped boiled egg. It probably won't be pretty to look at.

Start with slow bursts of the stick blender at the bottom of the jar. Don't raise the stick blender higher until obvious mayo is beginning to form at the bottom. Egg yolk has the lecithin that emulsifies the fat so use enough egg yolk for the job.

12. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

I have used half olive and half MCT oil. I think with the new batch I am going all MCT oil. I use a little cider vinegar. You can also making it with bacon grease. Haven't done that yet. You can also use lemon juice instead of cider vinegar. Gives it a very bright, light taste. I have also added some chopped garlic and chives.

13. diane

diane Gold

Yes, I use lemon juice. I've tried with fresh lemon juice, but read that you get better results with bottled. Which I've found helps.