1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Mattress in shielded bedroom

Discussion in 'The EMF Rx' started by gene@kalmens.org, Feb 9, 2020.

1. gene@kalmens.org

gene@kalmens.org New Member

Last month, I had Brian Hoier's company Shielded Healing make EMF assessment of my house. I had already listened to a very detailed podcast by Ben Greenfeld about such assessment of his house, and it went exactly as I expected.

Of all recommendations, I have a question about a mattress in a shielded bedroom.

We plan to paint the walls with shielding paint, install the shielding floor fleece, and get shielding fabric liners for the curtains.

With this, a strong recommendation is to get a metal-free mattress. I don't understand this requirement. What EMF will the mattress springs catch in a fully shielded bedroom?

It is time for us to get a new mattress, but a purely foam mattress is not our preference. Any thoughts about this?

2. ElectricUniverse

ElectricUniverse New Member

If you test your bedroom for nnEMF with a good meter with a wide sensitivity range and get virtually 0 V/m and 0 microwatts/meter squared then I don't see any need to run about with your hair on fire about metal springed matttresses (metal springs act as mini antennae that may amplify ambient nnEMF radiation-- very close to your body as it lays on bed).

In practice, near 0 readings on a highly sensitive meter in such a situation may not be possible. And as newer 5G technologies unfold (or unravel, as case may be) who really knows if your shielding efforts will hold up well.

gene@kalmens.org likes this.
  3. gene@kalmens.org

gene@kalmens.org New Member

Thank you, @ElectricUniverse! We will continue to look for a metal-free mattress.

4. ElectricUniverse

ElectricUniverse New Member

We assume of course that you have also eliminated dirty electricity in bedroom's wiring circuits. That would be another source of nnEMF (stray voltage spikes and RF and ELF).

5. Tripvan

Tripvan Silver

I have recently grounded my mattress by ripping a hole in the side and attaching to some metal inside it and subsequently have significantly reduced the body voltage I register whilst lying on it even without wearing any grounding strap. I use a grounding rod that is placed, ~200-900mv below the level of my house's ground. Since this is reducing the bed's capacity to act as an antenna is this fine? There's a lot of talk about grounded metal acting as an antenna, absorbing AC and RF fields sucking their energy back down through the grounding wire, but since my basic electricity research has shown that the ground allows the material to act as an extension of the earth, reflecting waves of energy, so this idea of a flow of current does not make sense to me. Since rigging this up i's been taking me a little longer to fall asleep but I've not yet noticed any negative side-effects beyond that.

https://earthinginstitute.net/wp-co...nt-turn-you-into-an-antenna-for-emfs-2018.pdf

https://earthinginstitute.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/beware-of-earthing-misinformation-2018.pdf

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  6. Dan2

Dan2 New Member

The earthing companies and proponents say they call it the umbrella effect because of Richard Feynman calling it that in his lectures on electromagnetism.
    This is Feynman's "Lectures on Physics Volume II", about electromagnetism:
    https://docdro.id/QvY10En
    Do you know where in that it describes the umbrella effect? I searched the pdf for "umbrella" with no results.

7. Tripvan

Tripvan Silver

That's a very good point! This appears to be a widely quoted as appearing in his Lectures on Physics v.2, and at a cursory search I too cannot find any links to this kind of suggestion, aside from the introductory discussion piece on attractive and repellent electrical forces. My only thought is it might appear somewhere in the 1963 first edition but was removed in later editions - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3265077/#B16 points to this 1963 edition and I don't have a copy to check. It might have been too speculative to leave in for later editions who knows?

8. Dan2

Dan2 New Member

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  9. Dan2

Dan2 New Member

Rereading this:
    https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jeph/2012/291541/
    "The study showed that when the body is grounded, its electrical potential becomes equalized with the Earth’s electrical potential through a transfer of electrons from the Earth to the body. This, in turn, prevents the 60 Hz mode from producing an AC electric potential at the surface of the body and from producing perturbations of the electric charges of the molecules inside the body. The study confirms the “umbrella” effect of earthing the body explained by Nobel Prize winner Richard Feynman in his lectures on electromagnetism [16]. Feynman said that when the body potential is the same as the Earth’s electric potential (and thus grounded), it becomes an extension of the Earth’s gigantic electric system. The Earth’s potential thus becomes the 'working agent that cancels, reduces, or pushes away electric fields from the body.'"

So I searched his Lectures Vol. II for "body potential" and found where he talks about the "umbrella effect", at the beginning of Chapter 9, on page 113 of the New Millenium Edition of the Lectures Volume II, that I linked to in post #6 of this thread and it's also on Libgen.is.
    http://libgen.is/search.php?req=fey...open=0&res=25&view=simple&phrase=1&column=def

These are screenshots of the first two pages of Chapter 9:

1.png
    2.png
    3.png
    4.png

Tripvan and Marko Pollo like this.
  10. Dan2

Dan2 New Member

And I got some responses from EarthingNederland.nl. This is the conversation:

I said:
    "Hi. It's often said by earthing proponents that earthing causes the "umbrella effect", which is called such from Richard Feynman's lectures on physics. I'm trying to find where in Feynman's Lectures on Physics Volume II (about electromagnetism) he talks about this effect. Can you help me find what he said about it? I can provide a pdf file of that book if needed."

__

EarthingNederland.nl said:
    "Thank you for your message. I tried to find it but have not succeeded yet. I will search some more, if I find it I will let you know."

__

I said:
    "I'm asking because people who promote the health benefits of earthing often repeat this, about the "umbrella effect" and Feynman, which I think originated in context of earthing in this study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3265077/
    "Earthing: Health Implications of Reconnecting the Human Body to the Earth's Surface Electrons"

In the study it says:

"The study confirms the “umbrella” effect of earthing the body explained by Nobel Prize winner Richard Feynman in his lectures on electromagnetism [16]."

And reference 16 is this:

"16. Feynman R, Leighton R, Sands M. The Feynman Lectures on Physics. II. Boston, Mass, USA: Addison-Wesley; 1963. [Google Scholar]"

So for someone who wants to use earthing when there are wireless signals around, and wants to check that it's effective with all the frequencies and intensities of signals as new ranges of the spectrum are used for wireless tech, the details about the science of how the umbrella effect works would be useful. I've read some things by a doctor named Jack Kruse who has said that with some frequencies that might be used in some situations for 5G, in the millimeter wave range, the umbrella effect could become ineffective and grounding could become dangerous because of the risk of electric shock from jump conduction. That's the simple paraphrasing of what he's described in more detail.

Maybe I should try to get in contact with the authors of that study."

__

EarthingNederland.nl said:
    "The umbrella effect of earthing is not protecting you from high frequencies radiation like 5G. The umbrella effect means that low frequency radiation from electrical circuits in your house will not result in induced alternating voltage on your body (at least 95% less). The electrical fields will "bend away from the body" because of the umbrella effect as described in the Earthing book.

Our sheets do have a high shielding effect also on high frequency radiation, but to be effective you need to be shielded all around. I have a 140cm fitted silver undersheet (and ground it!) around my duvet, like a duvet cover, and put my cotton duvet cover over it. In this way I am shielded all around the body.

I also have an earthing pillow case, but that shields only on one direction, so I am not 100% shielded, but maybe 95%.

I hope this helps."

__

I said:
    "Thanks for your help. Do you know if the efficacy of the umbrella effect stops suddenly at a certain frequency, or is a gradual linear reduction as frequency increases, or it would be a curve of efficacy (y axis being efficacy and x axis being frequency) that wouldn't be linear?"

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Saichi, Michael CULLEN and Tripvan like this.
  11. Tripvan

Tripvan Silver

great sleuthing!! well done Dan2, very valuable information here

Dan2 likes this.
  12. kim johnson

kim johnson New Member

Is there any news of finding a source for a wired ethernet cable modem/router combo without
    wi-fi? Or, are folks just trying to turn off the wifi at the computer? Does that really work if attempted?
    I use PC tablet and PC laptop with ethernet cords plugged into 2 different ports. (Comcast internet).
    Does anyone find that a TrendNet TW100-S4W1CA router/modem is relatively safe with lower rf?
    I do need to get a better rf measuring device. Am trying to not "re-invent the wheel" as far as
    buying/returning modem/router combos multiple times.
    Thanks! I do Appreciate your comments.
    Kim

13. Tripvan

Tripvan Silver

log into your router through the computer there you usually can find a setting to disable the wireless component

if you need a guide, find the product number of your router and put that into google to find a manual

kim johnson likes this.
  14. kim johnson

kim johnson New Member

Many thanks!

Tripvan likes this.