1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Mania from sun exposure

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by SHANNON SELL, Jun 22, 2022.

1. SHANNON SELL

SHANNON SELL Silver

My husband is spending more time in the sun with me but it is causing him to experience mania. He is diagnosed bipolar and has been keeping it under control with sleep without drugs. He naps daily and sleeps only a few hours 4-6 thru the night. If he misses a nap he can’t sleep at night and the mania comes back unless sleep is under control.

What should I have him do? Stick with am sun only? Hope his brain corrects? I am thinking he needs more grounding but sitting in the shade or maybe sleeping outside on the ground until we save for magnetico. Is it a problem of too many electrons?

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Here is why:
    Science and religion use different languages in telling the same story about light. One uses a decentralized alphabet while the other uses centralized symbols to transfer information. Which one is more corruptible?

SUNLIGHT STIMULATES SEROTONIN PRODUCTION VIA THE SKIN/eyes

Human skin has an inherent serotonergic system that is capable of generating serotonin.

What happens as a result when serotonin drops? You become unable to handle acute stresses and mental illness becomes more likely. This is especially true for mania, depression, and seasonal change. This is why bipolar disease, EHS, chronic fatigue, infertility, poor libido, and poor sleep all are related to melanopsin damage caused to serotonin photoreceptors in the skin and eye. The absence of serotonin in the brain alters acute stress responsiveness by interfering with the genomic function of the glucocorticoid receptors (GR). When these receptors are altered by this oxidation they no longer work as they should. When this process begins in the eye and ends in reducing the GR by adding electrons to it. Serotonin is made from tryptophan.

How does a lack of this aromatic amino acid cause disease?

Interestingly, serotonergic projections innervate the paraventricular nucleus (PVN) of the hypothalamus as well as the brain regions involved in the stress-induced activity of the HPA axis, including the prefrontal cortex (PFC). This is why PVN damage is associated with EHS, POTS, and adrenal fatigue. I covered this in the Brain-Gut #16 blog years ago.

Serotonin helps the brainstem humans get a condition called adrenal fatigue where it appears there is a global dysfunction of how their hormone receptors operate. This can alter how the brain functions leading to many different types of mental illness. This paper lays out the physiologic basis of this process that most allopathic doctors deny or are ignorant of the mechanisms due to a lack of knowledge about how light sculpts life via the skin. Become a member and learn more about tryptophan becoming serotonin, melatonin, or NAD+ to keep us well. I've blogs that lay all of these ideas out in detail. When your redox is low = bipolar and you hook up your jumper cables to a great battery (sun) you can short the circuits. You need a gradual increase...... NAD+ has to be raised slowly to not get mania first via the short circuit

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3779905/

JanSz likes this.
  3. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Looks like a serotonin may be a big deal.

Correcting gut microbiota may improve gut mucosa and production of serotonin.

William Davis MD, author of Wheat Belly and especially Super Gut
    have a number of youtube videos.
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.p...t-a-disease-damn-it.25242/page-28#post-312142
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.p...t-a-disease-damn-it.25242/page-28#post-312165

------------------------------------
    the mucosa of the gastrointestinal tract (the largest producer of serotonin)
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3779905/
    upload_2022-6-22_19-5-9.png

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  4. JanSz

JanSz Gold

5. April

April New Member

My husband also suffers from bipolar. He is on lithium and he takes zyprexa only when he starts to feel manic. The zyprexa causes him to be very disconnected, so we don’t keep him on it full time. We are also using as little meds as possible to try to reduce long term side effects of meds.

My husband is noticeably worse in the fall and winter. He usually does great in the summer. He has finally gotten good about light at night and sunrise. I have been impressed at how his sleep has been improving. We are planning to send him south for a week or 2 in the fall to see if he can get through the seasonal change better.

SHANNON SELL likes this.
  6. April

April New Member

He also uses CBD sometimes but has been trying to reduce that.

7. @April - Have you read Nutrient Power by Dr. William J. Walsh
    https://www.walshinstitute.org/nutrient-power.html
    Dr. Walsh has 50 years experience on the subject.​

Please note CBD lowers BDNF. That's not a good thing.

Since you are on this site, please consider a consult with Dr. @Jack Kruse with your husband.

8. April

April New Member

I have not, but I will. Thank you for the information. The disorder has been a big struggle for my family. I am proud of the progress he has made. He was treating with alcohol for years but he is 1.5 years sober now.

John Schumacher likes this.
  9. SHANNON SELL

SHANNON SELL Silver

My husband took meds for two years and they really messed him up. He can’t sleep on his back now or he gets night terrors, nightmares, wakes up screaming… the side effects of all of those meds are absolutely terrible and the mortality rates of those taking them are terrible as well.

It was a really big leap for us to decide to break completely with meds. But I’m so glad we did. He got his personality back is actually happy about things now. Since then we used sleep control and improved diet, life improvements (spiritual support, stress mitigation). We have been med free for 8+years, with long stretches of time between episodes—three years was the longest.

with Zyprexa there is weight gain and that makes me think it might interfere with leptin signaling. These kind of meds also block seratonin and dopamine and can alter the brain so that less receptors are available. Works in mania but it makes the depression worse.

I’m not a doc, do your own research for sure. This is just my n=1 the meds and the side effects are worse than the disease. I’ll try to keep you posted on how improving redox is going with my husband. He at least believes me now about Dr. Kruse because he felt the sun bringing out mania so he knows it’s effecting his brain chemistry.

10. April

April New Member

My husband has been doing more and more of Dr Kruse’s protocol since he has seen me improve on it. There are still things he can improve but I probably won’t start pushing him again until fall. He has been taking initiative on a lot of it without me nagging now. Luckily he only needs the zyprexa only 1-3 days 2-3xyr. I’m interested to see how much we need to send him south to not need the zyprexa. We have been going south for a week in Feb but he definitely needs it earlier and likely longer. I have been following Kruse for almost 3yrs now. My husband really has no interest I learning about health but is willing (after many arguments) to implement some of it to see if it will help him.

11. Hang in with him. So long as he is not abusive to your children nor you, love him. The Mama Lion in you must protect her den. Get the support necessary for you first - not just nutritionally but emotionally. Impress upon him his importance to the children and the support you require of him.

Even "benign" drugs like alcohol permanently imprint our brain's neurons, so if he uses it, it won't be good. "Broken" brains are slow to improve; but not impossible. I believe in miracles. They just may take longer than we would like.

Don't stop arguing with him. Set the standard & expect it.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    April likes this.
  12. The typical therapies for bipolar are:
    • Dopamine therapy
    • Glutamate reduction therapy
    • Oxidative damage reduction therapy
    • GABA therapy