1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Make your own fermented vegetables

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by Chrisgraff, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Chrisgraff

Chrisgraff New Member

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Thanks for the link!

Be sure the salt doesn't have any anti-caking ingredients, it can make the water cloudy. And filtered water (without chlorine) is best.

I've made dill pickles, using just salt and spices (and an oak leaf). I've also used whey to be able to cut down on the salt. But now that the grapes are putting on their new leaves, I'm going to make some more. The tannins in the grape/oak leaves make the pickles crisper.

3. chocolate

chocolate Silver

How long does it take for the pickles to get righteous? I was lazily buying the angel hair preshredded cabbage and adding the whey off yogurt I no longer eat, but I want to do it with just salt. Also, I'm kind of wondering about the thermogenic spices. The kimchi and lots of other cultural foods have them and we had pickled pepper relish on our table as a kid, but just adults ate it. I think there is wisdom in it. I seem to turn red where there is brown fat and thought it was allergies and was given meds for it. I'm not sure now.

http://sustainjefferson.org/files/Shivani%20Arjuna%20Fermentation%20Class.pdf

The link is to a really good article that explains pretty much everything. The grains cause alcohol and acetic acid. Alcohol gets you drunk and acetic acid cleans your ears.

4. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Chocolate, adding turmeric and such is a great idea. If the pickles are sliced, or quartered, it only takes a few days at room temp for them to ferment, a week at most. Then you put them in the fridge and the process slows down almost to a stop. They taste great, kinda sparkly like carbonated water was added to them. :)

I haven't made any whole pickles, but this year I plan on fermenting some baby cukes.

5. Mylittlelambs

Mylittlelambs New Member

Thanks for the link, I will have to check it out :) I just made my first batch of sauerkraut here not too long ago and it turned out pretty good. Now I can't wait to try something else.

6. Caroline Cooper

Caroline Cooper New Member

I have done a lot of fermenting over the years. Here are my index of recipes. The are some recommendations for books too. My favorite fermented food is kimchi; it also lasts the best and always makes it to the spring. I find fermented pickles are wonderful but must be eaten within 1-2 months of fermenting, earlier is better, otherwise they get soft and nasty. I've tried grape leaves and horseradish leaves. My husband wants to can pickles next year:

http://www.eatkamloops.org/specific-carbohydrate-diet-scd-recipes/

7. I'm a total newbie...making sauerkraut right now. Actually, it's been a week, so it's probably ready! I'll have to check it when I get home!

8. L8F

L8F New Member

Caroline, your site is amazing! I have it bookmarked for further perusal and recipe resource!!

9. rbu5@sssnet.com

rbu5@sssnet.com New Member

I second that Caroline! Lots of PinIt recipes too. Thanks :)

10. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

11. Caroline Cooper

Caroline Cooper New Member

Thank you both. The website is a labor of love. Actually, I owe a debt of gratitude to all the people that helped me regain my health. If the website helps others, well, that is all that matters.

12. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

+1000 - I've loved it thus far (and will return!) :)

13. chocolate

chocolate Silver

14. chocolate

chocolate Silver

15. chocolate

chocolate Silver

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0031892

Milk Fermented by Propionibacterium freudenreichii Induces Apoptosis of HGT-1 Human Gastric Cancer Cells Fabien J. Cousin, Sandrine Jouan-Lanhouet, Marie-Thérèse Dimanche-Boitrel, Laurent Corcos, Gwénaël Jan Biology Biotechnology Oncology Milk Fermented ... Milk Fermented by Propionibacterium freudenreichii Induces Apoptosis of HGT-1 Human Gastric Cancer Cells ... Gastric Cancer Cells Fermented Milk-Induced Apoptosis PLoS ONE: Research Article, published 19 Mar 2012 10.1371/journal.pone.0031892 Views: 467Citations: NoneBookmarks: None

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2588670/

Probiotics Improve High Fat Diet-induced Hepatic Steatosis and Insulin Resistance by Increasing Hepatic NKT cells

http://www.longactinginsulin.com/index.php/2011/01/researchers-study-vinegar-as-a-preventative-diabetes-medication/ researchers study vinegar for insulin resistance and preventative for diabetes

16. chocolate

chocolate Silver