1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Magnesium Threonate

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Souldanzer, May 31, 2012.

1. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Finally got my mag threonate in the mail. I have to get the pure powder b/c of allergies from wholesale places. This particular one has been more than unhelpful. All the bag says is 99 percent mag threonate. No serving size, no mention of actual mag content per gram.

I looked up the lef.org kind and it says 2 grams of magtein mag threonate have 144mg of magnesium. Would that apply? I'm really unsure since it says 99 percent... when I get my PS the bag says 50 percent and that means 100mg of product have 50mg of phosphatidyl serine. So I'm guessing if I take 100mg of 99 percent mag threonate, I'm getting 99mg of mag threonate. Now how much mag is that really?

2. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

Gosh, I don't know. I got the Life Extension capsules since I've never had any trouble with their fillers. And I LOVE the stuff. Amazing, amazing difference!

3. JC2K

JC2K New Member

Your logic sounds correct to me, but don't hold me to it. I use the LEF stuff, a scoop a day. It's a different type of magnesium that goes to the brain more, so it's less likely to help with cramps and the like. However, since it is more targetted, you need less of it for that purpose. You also want to be careful supplementing the other magnesium because it has the potential to crowd out the threonate.

What's your source of the stuff. Maybe a quick googling will help track down a source.

incidentally for the LEF stuff, 144mg/2000mg = roughly 7% Magnesium content. It's a branded component, so you're probably not going to see much variance in that. Don't know if that applies to your bulk stuff though.

4. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Problem is, right now I'm looking at the bag sitting on my counter, imagining all the wonderful things it will do to me :D If I could just figure out what my dose is!!

5. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

Oh it TOTALLY demolishes cramps! I had eyelid twitches and leg cramps for decades. I consumed magnesium like it was candy but could never get enough to stay in. 3 days on this stuff and all those problems are gone. I am a huge fan of the stuff!

6. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I googled and googled :) Nada. This stuff is from Cerebral Health/Bioscience Neutraceuticals which I CAN NOT RECOMMEND I only ordered from them b/c it's the only place that sells this stuff as pure powder. They have some pretty super cool stuff though... it's just the customer service s*cks.

Is the worst thing that can happen the runs or can I accidentally kill myself with this stuff? Do I have to take it away from other mag or should I stop the other mag entirely?

7. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Maybe that means bye-bye for the menstrual cramps...

8. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

i hope so. This form of magnesium is downright miraculous. :)

9. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Now if I could stop looking at the bag of miraculous stuff and eat some already ;)

10. JC2K

JC2K New Member

From the FAQ at Magtein.com, they say it's GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) so it's not going to suddenly kill you, and the animal studies indicate 1gram twice a day (which roughly corresponds to the 2 grams/dose that LEF gives). They're doing human studies to narrow down that number. But if it's giving you 144mg of Magnesium, you've still got a ways to go for the recommended 400 or so mg of Magnesium/day.

11. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I think I might take 1gram tomorrow AM and see how that goes... and then take the regular mag at night maybe.

12. skline@peak.org

skline@peak.org New Member

3 a day of the Life Extension capsules got rid of my eyelid twitching in short order, as well. Plus I don't seem to get palpitations when tired the way I did. I'm a happy camper at this point. I seem able to take it by mouth, unlike the other varieties.

13. skline@peak.org

The stuff seems so effective that maybe we won't need a full 400 mg. per day?

14. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I had to go back to taking regular magnesium at night in combination with the NeuroMag, because when I stopped taking the regular magnesium I got really constipated. Now I split my NeuroMag dose - two pills in the morning, and then the third one before bed with my regular magnesium. I haven't noticed any of the "miracle" effects of the NeuroMag, at least not yet.

15. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

ealachan, if you get really constipated without citrate, I'd guess your thyroid is low. I take 2 capsules in the morning and 2 at night. I haven't taken citrate since.

16. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I've never taken citrate. The "regular magnesium" I have is mag oxide.

I'm sure my thyroid probably IS out of whack. The doctor's office I go to only ever tests TSH, none of the other stuff (unless asked, I presume. I HOPE they'll do the other stuff if I ask!). I've always been on the low end on TSH, but within the "acceptable" range, so my questions about thyroid issues in the past were always pooh-pooh'ed.

Can't afford to have the test done until my FSA account refills on 7/1. Ahh, the joys of catastrophic insurance. :

17. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I took 500mg last night before bed and I am still kicking :) So I upped it to 1000mg this AM. I'm pretty sure it's 144mg of mag per 2grams of product, as in the lef.org products.

I slept despite eating a bunch of chocolate last night which usually keeps me up with heart palps. I did have bit of trouble falling asleep but then slept through the night. Let's see how today goes. I will keep with my other mag for now probably at a reduced dose and away from the mag threonate.

18. skline@peak.org

Ealachan, mag oxide is so laxative that it has been known to draw magnesium out of the body.

While thyroid no doubt deserves consideration, I think you're up against a problem which may be unrelated to thyroid: you've been depending on an osmolar laxative, magnesium oxide. You might as well be eating ExLax.

If you give up taking magnesium oxide as a laxative, you'll probably rebound and have severe constipation, but really, it's a crutch.

Bowel movements should be moist and soft and full of beneficial bacteria. If you have "dysbiosis" (not enough gut flora), movements will be dry and hard and difficult to pass. So, eating more fermented food like sauerkraut, kim chee, and real (live) pickles may help your problem.

The Amish have a healthy habit: they have a little apple cider vinegar in warm water first thing in the morning. Be sure to rinse out your mouth afterwards, so the acid doesn't etch your tooth enamel.

You may need to phase out the mag oxide gradually, to give your gut time to adjust.

I have the opposite problem: irritable bowel. "Healthy high-fiber vegetables" bloat me and give me the runs. So many people thrive on them ... it's very frustrating.

It is going to take me time to see if mag threonate is truly non-laxative for me, but I'm strongly motivated to keep taking it. I feel so much more cheerful and energetic, and I lost the stubborn eyelid spasms and haven't had a single missed heartbeat since I started the stuff.

I hope you find the right answer for this dilemma.

19. ealachan

ealachan New Member

thanks for the info. I actually didn't start having constipation issues until I started taking the threonate, so go figure. I wouldn't say I use the Mag Oxide as a crutch, per se. I started taking it because it was a recommended supplement before the NeuroMag stuff came along, not because I needed a laxative. I also don't take large amounts of it. I take two pills, where the recommended dose on the bottle is three.

The reason I think my thyroid is screwed up is actually nothing to do with constipation, but rather all the other boxes I can check when I read down through the hypothyroid symptom list. But, then again, they're all pretty vague symptoms, so who really knows. Certainly not me until I get some bloodwork done.

20. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I recommend Mag malate for leg cramping and threonate just about for everything else.......In my surgical practice I use threonate more than other forms because it penetrates the CSF pathways in the brain and spinal cord.