1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Mackerel

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by ChrisnJr, Jul 1, 2019.

1. ChrisnJr

ChrisnJr Silver

Wondering if I should be concerned about mercury or other metals in mackerel? I’ve been eating 1 tin of it everyday for protein and DHA. I know it’s a better alternative than tuna but I have read certain conflicting information saying certain kinds of mackerel have heavy metals. Any advice ??

2. Saichi

Saichi New Member

Metals always been a red herring with seafood. But that salmon roe you're eating couldn't pay me to eat.

3. ChrisnJr

ChrisnJr Silver

Just because it tastes so gross? Or some other reason ?

4. Saichi

Saichi New Member

Salmon roe was my favorite food ever, I was raised on it! Farm raised is toxic and Pacific wild has radionuclides! Been nine years now since I've had any, can still taste it as I type.

5. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

There are many kinds of mackerel. King mackerel is tagged as tending to have high levels of mercury. That won't be as true in smaller mackerel species.

Doc doesn't worry about mercury in fish because high levels of things like selenium in the fish will help protect you. Even so, I stay away from the fish that are known to have the highest levels.

Eating canned fish I would be more concerned about what liquid it's packed in. I don't like canned oils. Often the wrong kind of oil or more likely to be rancid.

6. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

i eat mackerel all the time..... a staple and my mercury levels are low low low..... canned and fresh.... you don't know unless you test :)

drezy likes this.
  7. ChrisnJr

ChrisnJr Silver

That’s been a worry of mine also. The ones I’ve been eating have been packed in olive oil. I can’t seem to find any in water.