1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Mackerel head smoothie

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by nonchalant, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

eyes are the richest part in zinc of the body I learned yesterday.

Sucked down raw mackerel head smoothie #2 just now :) Ready to feel awesome! Didn't have the ghee ready yet will probably do that tonight while I work on my pickled salmon.

Perfect protein shake :p

2. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Congrats! I think access to the next blog requires having had a raw mackerel head slushefied ;)

3. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Cool!! Congrats, AbetterME. It does take courage!

If you are like me, you weren't hungry afterwards. No, not because of nausea, folks, nothing like that.

I started looking around for something to eat after, because it was time, but then I realized that I was fine. Tummy wasn't full, and the smoothie was only about a half cup, but my body (mind?) told me that I was good for several hours. Is that the electron counter thingie Jack was talking about?

4. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

So the mackerels I get at WFM are already cleaned out. I can get uncleaned ones at the asian market. Would that be even better?

5. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Oh wow! You are going to be awesome soon! A super DHA slushie. Forget those silly fish-oil pillz!

Was it any easier the second time?

6. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Maybe I'll grow a second brain so I won't need the damaged one any longer :eek:

7. ealachan

ealachan New Member

See, I was ALMOST there until we brought up the eyes. Back to square one.

8. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Yep. No big deal as long as I keep myself from thinking about what I'm drinking at the moment. Just taste the lemon and juice of one is enough for me. I did eat dinner after that b/c I missed the BAB this morning and all I had was a couple cups of tea with coconut milk.

Vitamix or Blend-Tech is a major factor involved here. I would have a lot more trouble with a regular blender and the resulting texture.

9. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Mackerel head would also have pineal, pituitary, thyroid structures as well as thymic vesicles. Sucking down lots of hormones there....

10. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

WAPF recommends fish head broth for thyroid dysfunction. I'm just not sure what to do with the rest of the fish. I guess I could get the cheap stuff from the Asian Market and just dump the rest. Brain Gut 5 me needs you :confused: But eating the whole thing with guts would get the liver, too. Now does it have to be cod liver or can it be any fish liver?

11. So your blending up the heads, bones, scales and all?

I'm considering it. I bought mackerel in a can and me belly did not like at all! Nasty bloat and felt like I are a brick.

12. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

yep..........

13. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Optimal fish head smoothie accomplished. I cut whole fish at the middle (I know that includes the liver... just don't tell me what else I'm eating!), put 2 in the blender with ghee and 2 Tablespoons of wild caught, raw fish roe. Added juice of 3 lemons and salt and blended. I do not have a super-duper blender so it was rather, um, thick (and bigger than last time because of the added fish bits and the roe) but it got drunk! Three big gulps of Australian red wine were consumed immediately afterwards. Optimal dinner complete!

14. Inger

Inger Silver

LOL...

perfect!

I did this a week ago, with two fishes that a friend had caught himself- somewhere :rolleyes:. I just cut the whole fish with innards and shells and head all in pieces and mixed with water into a smoothie. It was sooooo nasty!! UH! It was totally slimy and strange.. smelled so not good.. it was not mackerel though, but a local freshwater-fish from waters that are half salty half sweet. And not the purest by any means.

After that nasty experience, drinking the mackerelhead-smoothies are just so easy, nice texture, like a creamy chocolate for sure!

I was nauseated the whole day after. I bet the fish was really polluted. I will never do that again.

But, I am still here, alive and well.. LOL. So guys and girls who are reading this, you can all do the mackerelhead-smoothie! No question.

It really is not that bad at all.

Beautiful beautiful mackerels. Because they are, take a closer look next time! :)

I bet any fish from deep cold clean waters will be just as good.

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

Does anyone know for sure if any deep water fish is just as good?

16. caroline

caroline Moderator

I can't imagine telling friends/family that I am having a mackerel head smoothie! They roll their eyes when I talk about CT. You guys must have some funny stories???

17. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Roe versus caviar? Is there a difference? If yes, what is the difference?

Can I just get some caviar instead of raw roe?

18. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I should have googled that before asking. Now, I know the difference. I still have a question from the nutritional point of view. Is caviar as good as some raw roe? Not sure how expensive the caviar is though...

19. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

So DH had a super busy day and didn't get to the fish market for me . . . or at least that's what he said ;) I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that I'm forcing him to have a smoothie with me. The couple that drinks fish heads together, well, y'know!

Hoping to make this happen this week for sure. Question though - is there some reason everyone is going after mackerel? Are any other fish just as good to use? Just in case they don't have mackerel at my little fish market.

20. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

My favorite part of sushi is the raw roe: Masago and tobiko. I like tobiko best which is harvested in Iceland or Canada, sent to Japan for processing and then sold in the US. Tobiko is from a tiny cold water fish. http://www.sustainablesushi.net/the-fish/masago/