1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Mackerel head smoothie

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by nonchalant, Jul 13, 2012.

1. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

OK, so I'm figuring the liver bit is simple. I bought whole fish and froze them. I then cut off their heads (figuring I'd use the rest later). But to have the livers, I could simply cut lower on the body and I'd get the liver in the smoothie, too. Adding ghee is the easy bit of course. Do we think that eating the gills or the heart is problematic? I'm not sure I can dissect a frozen fish body and remove the liver (though I'm guessing I'm just a thought away from that process, too!)

2. I just threw up in my mouth a little. Can I just pay one of you to prepare my smoothy and tell me it's from Intajuice?

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

where is Inger's before and after shots......Misty wants to see them?

4. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

They might be in the raw high meat thread.

5. freesia

freesia Old Member

They're in the Do Hormones Smell? thread...page 2.

Just saw them :)

6. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Souldanzer and Kiwilauren, you did it!!! Yay! Hmm, the straw trick sounds like a very good idea. And next time I'll try Jack's recipe.

Did you get any inspiration from it? About 6 hours later? I found ambition. My brain felt focused and powerful. The next day that feeling was diminished, but I remembered how I felt, and I want that again. I have revised my goals because of this little experiment. Losing weight and avoiding chronic disease just doesn't cut it anymore for me. I want much more. Thank you, Inger, for the idea, and thank you Souldanzer, for the push. And thank you, Jack, for guiding us all.

7. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Omg Nonchalant, I had almost the same. Couldn't stop thinking of doing it again the next day. I have two more mackerels sitting in the fridge now!

8. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Are you all freezing the mackerels first or buying frozen ones? Does it matter?

9. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I'm not sure I'm ready for this...but may work up the courage for it... I may try to run out the International market today just for a look see....

10. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I'm freezing first... I think Soul and others were thinking this could help with potentially bad bacteria. But I freeze to reduce smell and taste!

And, yes, Nonchalant, I got a bit of a high off it (in a good way). I hated the taste (and the texture, no straw) but I'm totally ready to do it again. I'm even going to go talk to the fishmonger who regularly puts fresh heads out for sale if they can save the livers for me. I'm thinking 2-3x week as a starting goal. (As someone on a budget, I also love that this super-meal is super cheap!).

11. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I like the savings too about the cheapest wild fish I can get. If I bought it at the Asian market it would be two bucks a lb. still sticking with WFM for now though.

Freezing kills parasites, not bacteria.

12. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I wonder if one could blend up the frozen head(s) into a smoothie, then freeze it back up, break it into smallish pieces, and swallow the still-frozen pieces quickly, one at a time...that seems almost do-able. Almost.

13. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I'm not sure it's essential to eat the head btw I think it's the mackerel itself?? I'll keep eating it all I think. I wonder what the thing is that's in there that my brain is missing....

14. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I thought the head was the big deal. I eat mackerel regularly anyway...just not the heads.

15. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Thanks, Souldanzer!

16. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Serious question: do we think that the mackerel bit is essential. I mean, could it be other fresh, wild caught fish? I often have access to whole sardines (somewhat bigger than those tiny ones in cans) and other much larger fish/fish heads. Thoughts?

17. We need the next blog post, I don't want to get head if there is no reason!

18. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Oh, I'm guessing it's the head AND then some... (here's the latest info from blog comments to include the skin; and he already talked about the importance of the eggs.). I'm guessing that soon optimal CT is going to be jumping into a cold ocean and catching whole fish between our teeth, eating while submerged!

Her before and after shots in the thread Do Hormones smell on page 2 show you what eating fish skin can do. It is one of the better sources of natural vitamin D and A one can get and after Brain Gut 5 you will begin to see why this is really important. Inger shows you with a picture what difference It can make. I add my fish skins to sauces in my Vitamix when I am making sauces. Yesterday I did this while making Seabass.

19. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

raw...... or maybe it's the head after all.

20. Just did it!! Took me some courage to get it dowm, and couln't use the straw, it was a little too thick. Hopefully I was hungry, bacause I don't think I could have done it otherwise. Can't wait to read the next blog!!