1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Mackerel head smoothie

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by nonchalant, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Guess what im rereading now.

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I will be giving the Factor X webinar live in Orlando Fla in two weeks for a group who invited me down for a recreation of the webinar.......so maybe I will give you the first 8 minutes them in re creation

3. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

that would be awesome :cool:

4. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I already eat lamb balls. Not so bad. Freaked out the male roommate though lol

5. Coriander

Coriander Silver

hahahahahaha

6. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

OK, so I think I've found an optimal way to eat the fish head smoothies. Here's my method (combining the advice of Inger and Souldanzer and then a bit of my own). Frozen fish heads are the way to go... keeps smell to a minimum. Put fish heads in blender. Add fresh juice of 2 lemons and some salt. Blend to smooth (I don't add any extra water, just the lemon juice). Before you drink it, pour about 1 inch of red wine in a glass. Then drink smoothie as fast as possible. Immediately after, drink the red wine (actually, I used half of it to swish in my mouth and sort of gargle and then I drank the rest... even if you're doing a protocol where you can't drink any wine, just the swishing really did the trick... totally killed the lingering fish taste.) All in all, pretty palatable.

7. Linz

Linz Gold

Successful second attempt. I used herring as they were much fresher than the mackerel.

I added some lemon and parsley, held my breath and drank with a little tabasco - quite fishy and think it will take a bit of practice before the smoothie tastes as good as the herring and roe baked in the oven afterwards.

Still need to perfect the recipe before I can give my friends fish head smoothie for dinner (can I even admit to trying it myself?) but they are starting to ask the right questions. It's just so hard to overcome their fear of fats so imprinted on our brain by cw.

Inger, how hard was that first bite of high meat?? I've still got a long way to go.

8. caroline

caroline Moderator

what about cod cheeks? that is a real delicacy in the East coast of Canada. On a tv show last nite - about Norfolk Island - they showed a buffet with raw white fish marinated in lemon juice and finished with coconut milk. It looked delicious. I am going to see if I can find the recipe

9. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

It didn't really taste fishy to me but my head was mostly frozen. Also, use a straw.... it bypasses a lot of the tastebuds that way. lol, another raw foodie trick. You do need a good blender to make that part work.

U just have to get over the thought and think nutrition and health, not fish head, while pouring it in :p

10. Linz

Linz Gold

I think a new blender is a good idea. Frozen heads - I might have been back reading the concussion series.

11. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

http://www.greenpasture.org/public/Home/index.cfm

I've read that fermented cod liver oil is best. I suppose the whole food and optimal solution is to get some well sourced cod livers and do the fermentation yourself but if not a good source of fermented cod liver is in order. Several real food summit videos mentioned this site.

I just noticed he didn't say cod liver oil he said cod liver...I don't think the fermented oil is a bad idea though...supposed to be really good...but I guess you could ferment cod liver and eat the whole thing...I guess that would be the same as high meat? Isn't that what high meat is? Fermented meat?...and fish is a meat. I guess regular cod liver would be easier since your already doing the extreme thing of eating a mackerel head smoothie....not sure I will ever do that lol.

12. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Ok, I'm convinced! DH is stopping at the fish market tomorrow and getting us some Mackerel. I made him promise to do it with me . . . a good challenge makes it so much easier ;) Plus, he's getting ready to start his own business, so he needs the extra jet fuel! I'll let you all know how it goes!

13. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I used to buy this canned version. They are not fermented but I think they are good!

http://www.amazon.com/King-Oscar-Liver-6-67-Ounces-Tins/dp/B002147OIO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342359021&sr=8-1&keywords=cod+liver

14. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Go for it, BJ. I'm cheering you on :) You can do this. Just don't forget the lemons.

15. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I didn't have a straw. Thanks for that additional key essential item. I'm not sure I even want to know what you ate as a raw foodie that allowed you to learn these lessons :p But I'm glad you've got the straw (and lemon) wisdom to pass along!

16. It could be the vicodin talkin - but I'm seriously thinking of having the MHsmoothy as my welcome back from HCG breakfast in a few weeks.

I have a rockstar food processor - that should work right? I wonder if my local fish guy will just give me the heads! I may plan ahead and call him up and say I need some heads to make cat food or something - I don't think I'm ready to come out of the closet just yet!

17. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Can I use the Kerry Gold butter or do I have to make ghee considering I'm still AI protocol? I sorta just want to use the butter but dairy used to give me acne.

18. This - I can not imagine what might be more off putting than bass-o-matic. Bugs?

19. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I read somewhere that shrimp are actually close to insects....

20. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

It's really just about taste at the point that it's blended into a smooth texture. And I've had much worse smoothies I sucked down. Make something bitter and I'll gag. No lemon will help even that. And I'd say my first oyster was a gag reflex.