1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Mackerel head smoothie

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by nonchalant, Jul 13, 2012.

1. ealachan

ealachan New Member

So "high meat" is next on your agenda, then? ;)

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

[​IMG]

See if this works.

3. The pis of the fish are great but we want a picture of your face upon swallowing!!! :) I need to know if it's worth the trip. It surely will trip out my BF.

4. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a couple of the more presentable photos.

5. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Sorry, no swallowing pics. I had to hold my nose!

6. janagram

janagram New Member

if mackerel heads could be made to look attractive you've got a shot at it!

7. jmathisen

jmathisen New Member

I find just stirring diced mackaral into some mayo or miracle whip with a splash of tabasco to be far more palatable, and just about as quick, and a whole lot less unnerving.

but for gross out factor, you smoothie drinkers are the next optimal idols...

8. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Is the raw head that much more nutrient dense than just plain old cooked fish? Convince me it's worth it and I'm totally in ;)

9. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Here ya all go :)

First, make sure you are very hungry.... That makes for better taste! Then say hello to optimal in a head...

[​IMG]

About to be slushefied

[​IMG]

Don't forget to add the insane amount of lemon juice.... Essential if you want to repeat this experiment at some time in the future.

Voila....

[​IMG]

Yum. Sorta like a milk shake. Add some strawberries?

[​IMG]

10. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Did it!!!

[​IMG]

Not hard at all if you use the correct amount of lemon juice :) And make sure you're really hungry! I've eaten way worse stuff.... but the vitamix helps b/c it's nice and smooth, no choking on the teeth. I tried to open the head's mouth for a more effective pic but that thing bit me I swear.

Dr K, am I optimal now :D

11. janagram

janagram New Member

just....impressive!!!

12. Beautiful! You are my idol!!!!

13. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

OK, here is my guess (not to say that Inger's word isn't good enough). The fish's brain contains the highest levels of the stuff in fish that we're after. Like with meat, when we avoid the 'gross parts' (offal, etc) we often miss out on the highest nutrient-dense bits.

14. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I'm guessing yes. You eat a lot of parts that you don't normally eat with the head. There's the brain which probably concentrates DHA and choline, then there's the eyes, which are super rich in zinc, and you'll also eat the thyroid gland if I recall correctly from my WAPF readings. I would love to hear from Dr K though if there's something else we're going for and why raw (might protect the DHA from oxidizing).

Sunday is live crab eating (we'll boil it first :)) planned with one of my friends and maybe tomorrow he'll take me out to the best seafood place in Boulder (Jax :cool:) so I may finally learn how to slurp raw oysters. I'm sorta excited about my new food adventures.... currently trying to learn how to make pickled salmon without whey. Any ideas?

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

you guys are totally amazing! Inger will be so proud!!!

16. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Nonchalant.... am I the only one who is suddenly craving raw fish heads :eek: I can't stop thinking about repeating the adventure.

17. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Yes, where's Inger?? :D

I need some help with my pickled salmon....

18. Maybe thats where the energy came from!

19. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Somehow my brain thinks that, too....