1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Mackerel head smoothie

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by nonchalant, Jul 13, 2012.

1. I first saw this on my phone, and the funny thing is I thought "Oh ****, first brains now leeches - do I need to ask the fish guy about checking for leeches if I buy a raw mackrel?"

So you were not the only one!

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

They had ceviche scallops tonight too!

This was the end result of our seafood feat this weekend

[​IMG]

Found him passed out on the couch about 30 mins after dinner. LOL

And it's back to hormones 101 again.

3. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I figured that if she could eat slugs at survival school, leeches would be no big deal. Extra protein from the blood and all. Took me a minute to figure out who the leeches were.

4. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Your cuties are going to be so healthy!

At first I also thought you actually meant leeches...first Inger's worms, then Gretchen's leeches...I will never do this!

5. tercay@yahoo.com

tercay@yahoo.com New Member

Havoc and Chaos have never been more adorable.

6. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

See, it's not so bad! Not as tasty as oysters, but a LOT cheaper. I say we start a bottling company. Hormone Juice. 100% raw. Expect occasional worms. And leeches.
    :)

7. Endless

Endless Guest

Shijin, thanx for the pix of your kids...so inspiring! They are so vibrantly healthy looking and how awesome that they are getting the rocket fuel for their brains :)

8. caroline

caroline Moderator

amazing pics - your kids are gorgeous and the MHS actually looks good. very impressive! I think throwing in the cilantro is genius. do you only use the heads?

9. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

We ate the rest of the fish the other night on the grill. Didn't know it but mackerel is DH's favorite fish. & @ $1.99/lb. at the mercado can't beet that

10. Destiny

Destiny New Member

My grandpa used to smoke mackerels. That was so delicious .. warm and smoky.

11. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Not quite a MHS...I am making fish head soup in my crockpot. This is huge for me! 3 red snapper heads, a bottle of clam juice, carrots, celery, onions, fresh parsley and thyme and kombu ,dried shiitakes, and water to cover.

Will let you know how it turns out.

I'm cooking it on high.

I wonder how long I will need to cook it for EVERYTHING to dissolve? Maybe switch to low?

12. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Low heat is good. And this is great progress (plus I bet it will taste yummy too). Well done IndigoGirl.

13. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

I did switch to low after an hour, Lauren.

I plan on cooking it overnight, so it will be in the crockpot for about 18 hours. Hope everything dissolves by then!

I loved the conversation between your two children that you posted on "Ask Jack"!

14. I'm confused.

I understood from the blog to NOT use the saturated fats with so as not to blunt the DHA absorbtion.

Isn't this the point of the roley-poley fish heads?

I am not trying to be disrespectful, I just don't get it.

Maybe I need to choke down more MHS for it to get clear!!

15. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Has BG 5 been posted yet? I couldn't find it on the Blog Index.

16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

over two months ago

17. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

Yes, I am.

18. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Michael,

I originally looked in the Blog Index under BG 5 so I didn't see it. After Jack's response I went back and looked and found it under another name.

So yes, I did work for it! :)

19. JackStapleton

JackStapleton New Member

I googled "fish head smoothie" and this thread is the only link that came up. Cutting edge stuff here I guess.

I tried using the head of a 2 pound "red fish" (that's what the fishmonger called it - a type of snapper I think). It was pretty bony and I don't have a super-strength blender. Ran it for about 5 minutes in homemade chicken broth and then strained it through a sieve. There was still a lot of bones/scales/whatever in the sieve. It looked like a cup of very rough beach sand. I threw that stuff out. I don't eat stuff that looks and feels like broken-shell sand.

But the broth was fantastic! Super creamy and like a delicious bisque. I won't be throwing away any more fish heads.

20. Endless

Endless Guest

I have been using whole frozen 'large sardines' (that's what the bag says, anyway). They have large, tough, clear scales and I have been removing them by running the fishies under tepid water and rubbing them off before I blend them up. I'm using whole fish, not just the heads. Anyone else using fish with scales, and does the vitamix handle them? I don't want to ruin my smoothie by having the scales clogging up my straw!